There are 197 users in the forums

Sources: Matt Holliday to Cardinals

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Some other team will outbid the cards for holliday

I love how everyone is already calling Holliday a rental player..and teams will out bid them..

We got that extra cap space from Oakland for a REASON. Nobody seems to understand that.

1.5 million? If you guys are really going to resign him I doubt that is going to help you guys much.

Well, the Cardinals have their own salary too. 1.5M was added to the deal to help re-sign him in the offseason. That originally wasn't part of the deal..thats why earlier when I posted this thread it was originally Cards/A's CLOSE to a deal..once the Cardinals got the 1.5M to help sign him in the offseason, it was a done deal.

He MAY be a rental player..but its ridiculous how everyone is saying "Oh, the Cardinals got the worst end of this deal..they got a rental player for their best prospect.."

How do you know hes a rental player until the offseason?

Just wait and see.

I love how everyone is already calling Holliday a rental player..and teams will out bid them..

We got that extra cap space from Oakland for a REASON. Nobody seems to understand that.

1.5 million? If you guys are really going to resign him I doubt that is going to help you guys much.

Well, the Cardinals have their own salary too. 1.5M was added to the deal to help re-sign him in the offseason. That originally wasn't part of the deal..thats why earlier when I posted this thread it was originally Cards/A's CLOSE to a deal..once the Cardinals got the 1.5M to help sign him in the offseason, it was a done deal.

He MAY be a rental player..but its ridiculous how everyone is saying "Oh, the Cardinals got the worst end of this deal..they got a rental player for their best prospect.."

Just wait and see.

Cause if he does great, the yankees will make a bid for him
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Just wait and see.

Yankees.

But seriously though..the Cardinals have wanted this caliber of a player to protect Pujols for a LONG time and honestly Pujols has never had anyone like this behind him.

Ludwick did great last year..and he's heating up now..but he's no Matt Holliday.

I don't see Holliday getting away easily. Plus, why would Holliday NOT wanna stay in St. Louis? Batting behind Pujols? Talk about RBI opportunities.

Just wait and see.

Yankees.

But seriously though..the Cardinals have wanted this caliber of a player to protect Pujols for a LONG time and honestly Pujols has never had anyone like this behind him.

Ludwick did great last year..and he's heating up now..but he's no Matt Holliday.

I don't see Holliday getting away easily. Plus, why would Holliday NOT wanna stay in St. Louis? Batting behind Pujols? Talk about RBI opportunities.

Same can be said about batting behind Jeter, Tex,and A-Rod. He's this year's C.C. he'll tear it up for an NL team then come where the money is at....Yankee Stadium.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

Just wait and see.

Yankees.

Same can be said about batting behind Jeter, Tex,and A-Rod. He's this year's C.C. he'll tear it up for an NL team then come where the money is at....Yankee Stadium.

Yup goodbye Damon and Matsui hello Holliday.
he left coors field and has been slightly above average at best...

why wouldnt he wanna play in that batting practice homerun stadium out in New York. his numbers will greatly increase there.

we shall see what happens. but to say having a player of his caliber... his caliber in Coors, then you got a good deal. his caliber in oakland...
but i do think his numbers will increase being sandwiched between pujols and ludwick... if he puts up great numbers in his 2 months there... he may just want to stay there. or maybe take a two year deal or something of that nature.

IMHO, i see him going to the mets. they will have to do something this off season to make up for how bad this season is going for them
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Keep dreaming.

Keep dreaming.

Ill remind you of that when he does sign with us.

• jrg
  • Veteran

Keep dreaming.

I'll remind you when he signs a long term deal to keep his RBI opportunities behind the best player in the game.

Keep dreaming.

I'll remind you when he signs a long term deal to keep his RBI opportunities behind the best player in the game.

Pretty sure his RBI opportunities will be a lot higher with Jeter, Gardner, Tex and A-Rod batting before him and his homerun totals would be rediculous in Yankee Stadium.
I agree that he's not necessarily a rental player but....

1. There is no salary cap in baseball.

2. The $1.5 million will go to Holliday's salary this season. And while it's a nice chunk of change, really Holliday is looking at a deal that will likely exceed $75 million. $1.5 mill won't go very far.

That said, I like the acquisition. Have a chance to compete, go for it. That's a pretty mean looking 3-4-5.
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Texiera all over again?
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Keep dreaming.

Pretty sure his RBI opportunities will be a lot higher with Jeter, Gardner, Tex and A-Rod batting before him and his homerun totals would be rediculous in Yankee Stadium.

They would be ridiculous in either situation. Cardinals have Schumaker, DeRosa, and Pujols batting before him..and then Ludwick behind him protecting him. That is INSANE. Schumaker is ALWAYS on base and an amazing contact hitter..DeRosa is a .280 hitter who will hit 30 bombs and gets a lot of doubles, Pujols is well..Pujols..and then Holliday.
Share 49ersWebzone