There are 272 users in the forums

Bob Fitzgerald's NBA Draft Age Proposal

I really like Fitzgerald's idea about the draft but don't know how the framework can gain momentum in the media/around the country.

The idea mostly follow the baseball guidelines with a little bit of football added in.

Each team/NBA comes up with a projection for each student in High School that wants to join the NBA at 18. Each GM submits (confidentially like in the NFL) a projection of where each HS guy would go. If his projection is in the top 10 or maybe in the lottery, he is allowed to be drafted.

If not then you have to do 3 years of college and you can come out after your Junior year. David Falk (Jordan's agent) has been trying to convince the NBA and Players union that if you make the jump at junior year all salaries will go up. This is b/c you us the college game and tournament to market your future product/stars for you for free. The argument is a player playing for at least 3 years in college will be a more recognizable game than a one and done, that you really got to follow the game to know all American players in the draft.

It all seems reasonable to me, and like a process that would work unless HS players get arrogant and start thinking "I'm not projected in the top 10, I'll go play in Europe for 3 years." What do you think?
I really like Fitzgerald's idea about the draft but don't know how the framework can gain momentum in the media/around the country.

The idea mostly follow the baseball guidelines with a little bit of football added in.

Each team/NBA comes up with a projection for each student in High School that wants to join the NBA at 18. Each GM submits (confidentially like in the NFL) a projection of where each HS guy would go. If his projection is in the top 10 or maybe in the lottery, he is allowed to be drafted.

If not then you have to do 3 years of college and you can come out after your Junior year. David Falk (Jordan's agent) has been trying to convince the NBA and Players union that if you make the jump at junior year all salaries will go up. This is b/c you us the college game and tournament to market your future product/stars for you for free. The argument is a player playing for at least 3 years in college will be a more recognizable game than a one and done, that you really got to follow the game to know all American players in the draft.

It all seems reasonable to me, and like a process that would work unless HS players get arrogant and start thinking "I'm not projected in the top 10, I'll go play in Europe for 3 years." What do you think?
double-thread-starting-post FTW
I think it's a terrible idea.

I'm against any age restriction as it is. If a guy thinks he's ready and a team is willing to pick him, then more power to him.

In this proposal, he has one chance after high school to come out and if he can't, he's locked in for 3 years of college ball? How is that fair? So just to name a couple off the top of my head -- Carmelo, Durant -- who pretty much dominated as freshmen...they still have to go back to school for two more years? Still makes no sense to me.

Guys should be able to enter when they want. It's their own risk, but if a team will pick them, then why shouldn't they?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I think it's a good idea.

The Lebron and Dwight Howards would be able to come into the NBA immediately.

And it stops all these stupid one and done athletes who are ruining the stability of college basketball teams.

Great compromise.
People should be able to do whatever they want.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

not when it could set back or cost a franchise millions
Originally posted by ads_2006:

If a franchise is willing to give a kid money, why shouldn't they be able to? In the business world, these type of restrictions are unheard of. Why should pro sports be any different. It's not like these teams don't have millions and millions of dollars to hire people to make sound decisions.

They aren't forced to pick them. It's a risk, just like picking players with 2, 3, or 4 years of college experience.

If a franchise is willing to give a kid money, why shouldn't they be able to? In the business world, these type of restrictions are unheard of. Why should pro sports be any different. It's not like these teams don't have millions and millions of dollars to hire people to make sound decisions.

The business world can set any restriction they want, whether they require a degree or experience. If the NBA wants to add restrictions to better their product, then it's completely up to them.

Originally posted by SacRock14:
I think it's a terrible idea. I'm against any age restriction as it is. If a guy thinks he's ready and a team is willing to pick him, then more power to him. In this proposal, he has one chance after high school to come out and if he can't, he's locked in for 3 years of college ball? How is that fair? So just to name a couple off the top of my head -- Carmelo, Durant -- who pretty much dominated as freshmen...they still have to go back to school for two more years? Still makes no sense to me. Guys should be able to enter when they want. It's their own risk, but if a team will pick them, then why shouldn't they?

agreed. all of this age restriction stuff is garbage imo. stern and the ncaa are getting greedy. id rather more guys play in europe to fight that crap. and why does this rule only effect american kids? like foreignors like rubio can still enter at 18 but american kids have to wait? wtf. what about kids who need to make money for their family? terrible idea.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

The business world can set any restriction they want, whether they require a degree or experience. If the NBA wants to add restrictions to better their product, then it's completely up to them.

Don't get the NBA confused with the NFL. Rookies have a set salary and make millions on their second contract. For every one NBA player that has been picked out of HS there have been 5 or 6 that have failed and dropped out of the league within 3 years.

It will stop teams from wasting draft picks on "potential". That potential will be developed within 3 years of college and the quality of the rookies will bring a bigger impact.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Don't get the NBA confused with the NFL. Rookies have a set salary and make millions on their second contract. For every one NBA player that has been picked out of HS there have been 5 or 6 that have failed and dropped out of the league within 3 years.

It will stop teams from wasting draft picks on "potential". That potential will be developed within 3 years of college and the quality of the rookies will bring a bigger impact.

Exactly. I'm all for age restrictions. Although, the NBA is better protected against busts with a rookie salary cap. Poor NFL.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Age restrictions are better for the NBA and they're better for college basketball.
How is it better for the NBA to not have these players in the league?

2008 Underclassmen:
1. Derrick Rose, FRESHMAN - All-rookie
2. Michael Beasley, FRESHMAN - All-rookie
3. OJ Mayo, FRESHMAN - All-rookie
4. Russell Westbrook, SOPHOMORE - All-rookie
Also. Kevin Love (FRESHMAN), Eric Gordon (FRESHMAN), Brook Lopez (SOPHOMORE), Anthony Randolph (FRESHMAN)

2008 Upperclassmen (players who would be eligible for the draft under this proposed idea):
8. Joe Alexander (JUNIOR) - Not ready to contribute
12. Jason Thompson (SENIOR) - Good rookie
13. Brandon Rush (SENIOR) - Not a big rookie season
17. Roy Hibbert (SENIOR) - Not ready to contribute

So looking at this class, I'll venture to say the best players are underclassmen. So how is the NBA hurting from that? The fact is it's a case-by-case basis: upperclassmen are no more ready for the pros than underclassmen. There are cases both ways in which one player is more ready than another. The whole draft is a risk, not just drafting freshmen. If you scout a guy and deem him to be worth your selection, go for it.

Obviously the NBA can put whatever rules they want, can't fight that -- I'm saying it's ridiculous to do so.
Share 49ersWebzone