LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Originally posted by valrod33:
Tommy Hanson over Strasburg

LOL You must be a Braves fan to say that.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by crzy:
Lincecum and Matt Cain

In my opinion there wouldnt be a GM in baseball that would take Matt Cain over anyone on this list. He is very good but these others are all dominant strikeout pitchers who have dominated already or considered to be incredible elite talents (Strasburg and Price).

Again.. just my opinion and I know Giants fans will disagree.

We'll see. Stasburg has the hype. But many have not lived up to the hype.

[ Edited by crzy on Jun 5, 2009 at 14:33:00 ]

yes, but Hanson has at least dominated some major league talent, instead of the Mountain West Conference
Anyone that would take Strausberg, as much potential as he has, over Lincecum is being silly. I'm not even a Giants fan, but Lincecum is 24 years old and has already won a Cy Young award. There are way too many things that could go wrong for Strausberg to justify taking him over Lincecum.

yes, but Hanson has at least dominated some major league talent, instead of the Mountain West Conference

Really? Last I checked he is making his ML debut on Sat. I hope you are counting exhibition games. Hansen's stats are great in the minors and I think he will be outstanding. He stats are not as good as Bumgarner though. This will pretty much be a wait and see. Strasburg will probably be up in majors quickly.

Really? Last I checked he is making his ML debut on Sat. I hope you are counting exhibition games. Hansen's stats are great in the minors and I think he will be outstanding. He stats are not as good as Bumgarner though. This will pretty much be a wait and see. Strasburg will probably be up in majors quickly.

he is making his debut on sunday, but triple A players are better than college players, strasburg=Todd Van Poppel
randy johnson.. the way he's going.. he'll be pitching til he's 60

he is making his debut on sunday, but triple A players are better than college players, strasburg=Todd Van Poppel

You my friend are nuts if you really think that!(the comparison to Van Poppel) David Price was not quite considered the prospect that Strasburg is and he was awesome in the WS in relief in his first year and struck out 11 guys in 5 innings last week. Its god given talent and this kid has it (as does Price).
Originally posted by nipplehead:
Anyone that would take Strausberg, as much potential as he has, over Lincecum is being silly. I'm not even a Giants fan, but Lincecum is 24 years old and has already won a Cy Young award. There are way too many things that could go wrong for Strausberg to justify taking him over Lincecum.

I don't know if I heard it correctly, but I thought I heard them say that Lincecum reached 500 K's the fastest since 1900. I did some digging for stats and saw that it took Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan around their 4th or 5th seasons to reach that point. Kid is a Freak!

You my friend are nuts if you really think that!(the comparison to Van Poppel) David Price was not quite considered the prospect that Strasburg is and he was awesome in the WS in relief in his first year and struck out 11 guys in 5 innings last week. Its god given talent and this kid has it (as does Price).

Im not denying the talent the kid has, he has that for sure, i just dont see him panning out in the majors, if im wrong ill buy you a cookie, but i think he is gonna be a bust, especially if they rush him to the majors

Im not denying the talent the kid has, he has that for sure, i just dont see him panning out in the majors, if im wrong ill buy you a cookie, but i think he is gonna be a bust, especially if they rush him to the majors

Chocolate Chip please!
i'll take CC Sabathia followed by Santana
Originally posted by nipplehead:

I totally understand your point and I LOVE Lincecum. I also know that I am in the complete minority on this and probably pissing my fellow Giants fans off. I am not saying that Strasburg will be better in the next couple of years. I just think that over a full decade this kid has the potential to be Roger Clemens like.

For the fun of it.. I am going to send an email to Jim Callis from Baseball America and see if he will answer the question. I am interested to get his opinion because he knows more than we do thats for sure.
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
Tough call between Lincecum and Greinke. Price, Hanson, Stratsburg have done little so far in the Majors, although Price dominated the Playoffs last year so he's a notch above the other 2 IMO. There's something about Stratsburg that makes me leary on him, not sure what it is.
Originally posted by SLICK:
Tough call between Lincecum and Greinke. Price, Hanson, Stratsburg have done little so far in the Majors, although Price dominated the Playoffs last year so he's a notch above the other 2 IMO. There's something about Stratsburg that makes me leary on him, not sure what it is.

im with you on this
Share 49ersWebzone