LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Official San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
no to schieder and Jay Bo, Bo is gonna command at least 6 mill and I dont think he has the heart to win.

I want Beauchamin.

Oh. I wouldn't know. I can't recall ever catching more than a few seconds of a Florida Panther game. Schneider I know little about.

But liking the Canucks and having watched them often, I do know Ohlund has something to offer, and has the heart to win. Beauchamin I will admit is probably better though.

we have no shot at bouwmeester unless we trade either of our big 3. hands down i'll take beauchamin plus its a huge plus to get him outta damn anaheim. its kinda hard to say bo doesnt have the heart to win dude has been playing with a horrible panthers team his whole career up to this yr where they were decent and sniffing the playoffs. honestly i would be happy if we got him but of course wont, he'll go to whoever pays him the most, oilers would be a good fit probably. hes from edmonton and they were gonna throw lots of money to hossa this past off season

I just don't think we enough guys like Murray and Boyle on D. We need way more speed. Erhoff and Boyle are the only fast guys.

Boyle is the skilled skater with a good stick and great speed.
Murray, aka "Crankshaft," is the heavy hitter who knocks teeth out but generally superbly positions himself on the ice on D. He's a smart defender.
Vlasic is balanced, but still getting better. Not really a heavy hitter though.

Erhoff has decent speed -- but his shot, while hard, isn't particularly accurate.

Lukowich -- Mediocre. Not a great shot. Not a great stick really. Seems to get caught out of position too often. Not exactly a great passer either. Come to think of it.. Brad sucks.

Semenov -- Omgah. Penalties, penalties, penalties ALL the time. Slow. Can hit, and fights occasionally, and not a terrible shot but.. still easily upgraded over.

Blake -- About to be 40. What does he have left? Only Vlasic was worse than him in +/- in the playoffs.

Huskins - going to be a FA, but from what I see, he looks like a promising kid. *shrug* -- Doesn't seem to be someone scared to drop the gloves. From what I know, he's an underrated defenseman.

I guess at some point, when we feel Joslin's ready, we should bring him up and perhaps have our 8 defensemen being: Boyle, Murray, Vlasic, Huskins, Joslin, [new player], [new player], [new player].
My offseason assessment:

LEFT WINGERS: Moneywise, I think the team needs to move Michalek and Marleau, and they should do it while they still have trade value (top six forwards). Not sure at this point on which LW is available in the market. Trade one of them to Atlanta for Kovalchuk? Bring up Couture? I like Moen and Shelley in the 3rd and 4th lines, respectively.

CENTERMEN: We are set here with Thornton, Pavelski, and Mitchell. I like Goc, but we need a more rugged checking centermen. I think he's just not physically big enough.

RIGHT WINGERS: We only also have money for only two scoring RWs and someone between Setoguchi, Clowe, and Cheechoo has to go (and it looks like it's going to be Cheechoo). I'm not sure what happened to Grier this year. He was so up and down. Must have been the injuries. If he's back to his old defensive-minded self, I think it's worth bringing him back. The 4th line RW could be anyone from the minors: McGinn, Kaspar, etc.

DEFENSEMEN: I think Boyle, Vlassic, and Murray have no worries of being moved. I am so disappointed with Erhoff, and I am not sure if he's going to get any better. He's on the fringe of coming back. Blake is probably going to retire, unless Dougie Wilson talks him out of it for one last run. I have no opinion of Lukowich... so he must not be good. I think Staubitz has a future in the team and so does Nick Petrecki. I think we have Petrecki on the team already with Murray. Two Murrays: Is that a good thing?

GOALIES: Why can't we have a stable goalie like Roberto Luongo or Tim Thomas? I am getting tired of Nabokov's Jekyll and Hyde performances:
0 goals allowed
4 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
5 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
Enough already! If we could move him for someone with the same talent but with more consistency I say do it!

COACHING STAFF: The coaches I feel are good for the team, and the system in place fits the players strengths. No changes needed.

INTANGIBLES: I think we need a new captain. When I see Jarome Iginla, or Brendan Morrow, or Sidney Crosby, I see... "CAPTAIN". When I see Marleau, I see... "uh... who me? Captain? oh, okay then. Are you sure? eh?" (that's Canadian for 'really'?)

Niner
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
My offseason assessment:

LEFT WINGERS: Moneywise, I think the team needs to move Michalek and Marleau, and they should do it while they still have trade value (top six forwards). Not sure at this point on which LW is available in the market. Trade one of them to Atlanta for Kovalchuk? Bring up Couture? I like Moen and Shelley in the 3rd and 4th lines, respectively.

CENTERMEN: We are set here with Thornton, Pavelski, and Mitchell. I like Goc, but we need a more rugged checking centermen. I think he's just not physically big enough.

RIGHT WINGERS: We only also have money for only two scoring RWs and someone between Setoguchi, Clowe, and Cheechoo has to go (and it looks like it's going to be Cheechoo). I'm not sure what happened to Grier this year. He was so up and down. Must have been the injuries. If he's back to his old defensive-minded self, I think it's worth bringing him back. The 4th line RW could be anyone from the minors: McGinn, Kaspar, etc.

DEFENSEMEN: I think Boyle, Vlassic, and Murray have no worries of being moved. I am so disappointed with Erhoff, and I am not sure if he's going to get any better. He's on the fringe of coming back. Blake is probably going to retire, unless Dougie Wilson talks him out of it for one last run. I have no opinion of Lukowich... so he must not be good. I think Staubitz has a future in the team and so does Nick Petrecki. I think we have Petrecki on the team already with Murray. Two Murrays: Is that a good thing?

GOALIES: Why can't we have a stable goalie like Roberto Luongo or Tim Thomas? I am getting tired of Nabokov's Jekyll and Hyde performances:
0 goals allowed
4 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
5 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
Enough already! If we could move him for someone with the same talent but with more consistency I say do it!

COACHING STAFF: The coaches I feel are good for the team, and the system in place fits the players strengths. No changes needed.

INTANGIBLES: I think we need a new captain. When I see Jarome Iginla, or Brendan Morrow, or Sidney Crosby, I see... "CAPTAIN". When I see Marleau, I see... "uh... who me? Captain? oh, okay then. Are you sure? eh?" (that's Canadian for 'really'?)

Niner

On Nabokov, I just don't know that you're going to find anything like that out there right now.
^^^ I know. That's why it saddens me that with Nabokov still here next year, we'll never get over the hump.

Niner
My offseason assessment:

0 goals allowed
4 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
5 goals allowed
1 goal allowed

Niner

On Nabokov, I just don't know that you're going to find anything like that out there right now.

were stuck with nabby unless dw sees greiss having a varlamov type impact which i know he doesnt. we cannot trade a goalie like nabby unless we get better in return or equal. marleau has a ntc and i can guarantee he will not waive it to go to atl and michalek and other stuff will not get the job done and quite frankly im getting tired of trading away 1st rd picks. couture unless he tears up training camp will not be on the team he didnt play many gms at worcester and needs more seasoning there.

as for center men i agree i do like goc due to the way he plays except his offensive skills or lack of hes horrible at it. if dw can find someone better then i have faith in him. d men wise i like ehrhoff but dudes on a roller coaster, 1 or 2 gms he shows top dman skill then next he shows you a wtf moment i say keep him. as for blake hes said he wants to come back which i may not have a problem with but not for f**kin 5 mil, he was solid except those stupid penalties he would take. i hope we push for beauchamin and bring up to norcal. joslin will probably finally make the sharks team next yr and petrecki will need to play in worcester since he hasnt even played yet up there to get him used to another level. having both murray and petrecki wont be so bad teams will now have to worry bout 2 hard hitting beasts plus petrecki has more upside in his gm.

coaching wise will not change a thing. mcclellan did a great job for a rookie coach and now its just now him learning from his mistakes. 1 thing we need to do is find a way around teams clogging up the middle like teams started to do late in the season which caused our offense production to drop, ducks killed us with it. we also need to be f**kin consistent in getting in front of the damn goalie at all times and making him feel uncomfortable, we'll do it for 1 gm then amazingly forget to do it the next. we all now marleau should get the C ripped off his chest dont even need to go on.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I want to sign Bouwmeester so bad, but I know well over 15 teams will be bidding for his services.
[ Edited by Hopper on May 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM ]
  • NickV
  • Veteran
My offseason assessment:

0 goals allowed
4 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
5 goals allowed
1 goal allowed

Niner

I pretty much agree with everything you said Brian. If by some miracle we trade for Ilya Kovalchuk i will be
Originally posted by NickV:
My offseason assessment:

0 goals allowed
4 goals allowed
1 goal allowed
5 goals allowed
1 goal allowed

Niner

I pretty much agree with everything you said Brian. If by some miracle we trade for Ilya Kovalchuk i will be

That would be pretty incredible, I have to say.

I'm excited for when the time comes that Petrecki and Couture step on the ice in the NHL. I've been trying to keep track of what they've been doing in the Calder Cup Playoffs.

Couture has 2 goals so far. McGinn scored two in the last game.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM ]
quack
Do any of the local channels have the AHL games on TV?

I'd like to watch Worcester play Providence to get an idea of what some of these youngsters can do.

We already know McGinn is a gamer, and seems to have a bright future on this team.

• NickV
  • Veteran

I'd like to watch Worcester play Providence to get an idea of what some of these youngsters can do.

We already know McGinn is a gamer, and seems to have a bright future on this team.

I would like to check out some of their games also. But I don't know of any channel showing them.

I would like to check out some of their games also. But I don't know of any channel showing them.

Only channel that may show them is nhl network, even thats occasionally.

Game 2 is today. Even if we can't watch it, I'll be sure to see what happens.

Is there even radio you could listen to?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM ]

Game 2 is today. Even if we can't watch it, I'll be sure to see what happens.

Is there even radio you could listen to?

possibly online via ahl.com
Just found that you can listen live to the game. And they even have a webcast? I don't know is that means it's free video of the game too. Check it out. (Edit: Nevermind you have to pay)

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/schedule.php
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone