• Veteran
Another year.
Another great regular season team.
Best season in franchise history.
Presidents trophy winner.

Some ole Sharks.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12259719?source=rss

Quote:
Wilson met with players for 15 minutes, telling them he did not want them to put the Anaheim series behind them and move on. Not yet.

"I don't want anybody avoiding it," he said. "Somebody comes up and tells you how they feel, you look them in the eye and you better listen, and understand that disappointment is real. This should stick with people and eat at them all summer."

It also sounds like Patty wants to stay in San Jose.....I'm not sure that's gonna happen or not.
I think Marleau stays. The rest.. I don't know.

I really don't want to see Cheechoo go, but I'm scared that he will. I know he's missed time with some injuries, but I've seen him make a lot of clutch plays over his career. And I believe he has heart. Those are things that are not easy to find.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think Marleau stays. The rest.. I don't know.

I really don't want to see Cheechoo go, but I'm scared that he will. I know he's missed time with some injuries, but I've seen him make a lot of clutch plays over his career. And I believe he has heart. Those are things that are not easy to find.

Id get rid of Cheech and Marleau. Cheech is terribly inconsistent and isnt a premier goal scorer (other than the one year with Joe).

Marleau is the most lackluster leader Ive ever seen. no passion or emotion and he hasnt exactly been an offensive powerhouse either.
Cheech is out fo so'

Patty and Jumbo both have a no trade clause, and I think its a contract year for patty, so he may play well (like many individuals do in a contract year).

Even if we trade them, we wont get fair value back.

I would like to trade Nabby, last season was great, but this year was not. Getting something good in return would be better than nothing (i think he peaked last year).

Sign Francios Beacuchimin (sp?) to a long term deal.

Sign Torrey Mitchell to a long term deal, kid looks like he will be something special.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Cheech is out fo so'

Patty and Jumbo both have a no trade clause, and I think its a contract year for patty, so he may play well (like many individuals do in a contract year).

I would like to trade Nabby, last season was great, but this year was not. Getting something good in return would be better than nothing (i think he peaked last year).

Sign Torrey Mitchell to a long term deal, kid looks like he will be something special.

This. Plus Clowe.

Also I think it would be wise to give jamie mcginn and brad staubitz a roster spot. Also don't re-sign Goc (even though he is a good face-off man) and let Grier walk.
Originally posted by NickV:
Cheech is out fo so'

This. Plus Clowe.

Also I think it would be wise to give jamie mcginn and brad staubitz a roster spot. Also don't re-sign Goc (even though he is a good face-off man) and let Grier walk.

Whose deals are up? If there's one thing I'm not well-informed on, it's the contracts of NHL players.

If you can answer that, let me know.

Edit: Nevermind. Found this resource. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=SJ
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM ]
Since we can't trade Marleau and Thornton, we're stuck with them for now. Here's what I'm hoping for (to see at some point in the future), and I know I differ from many (probably because my all-around league-wide knowledge of players is not as great as it should be, since up until 4 years ago, I had taken a long break from following hockey.)

Gone:

Offense - Grier, Roenick, Lemieux, Moen, Goc, Plihal
Defense - Blake, Semenov

Trade bait - Lukowich. I though he was the epitome of mediocrity for most of the year. Nothing special in my opinion. And Erhoff. Too many mental mistakes. Inconsistent. Plays soft sometimes.

15 Offensive Players:

1. Michalek
2. Pavelski
3. Setoguchi
4. Marleau
5. Thornton
6. Clowe
7. Shelley
8. Mitchell
9. Cheechoo

Call up:

10. McGinn
11. Couture *
12. Staubitz

Add 3 FA Upgrades/Signees.

Defense:

1. Boyle
2. Murray
3. Vlasic

Call up:

4. Petrecki
5. Joslin

6. FA/Trade Upgrade
7. FA/Trade Upgrade
8. FA/Trade Upgrade

Maybe I'm crazy. But common sense tells me we need a lot of changes to get to where we want to be.
Watch playoffs and see how to win
It'd be nice if we could get an official tag on here.
Since we can't trade Marleau and Thornton, we're stuck with them for now. Here's what I'm hoping for (to see at some point in the future), and I know I differ from many (probably because my all-around league-wide knowledge of players is not as great as it should be, since up until 4 years ago, I had taken a long break from following hockey.)

Gone:

Defense - Blake, Semenov

Trade bait - Lukowich. I though he was the epitome of mediocrity for most of the year. Nothing special in my opinion. And Erhoff. Too many mental mistakes. Inconsistent. Plays soft sometimes.

15 Offensive Players:

1. Michalek
2. Pavelski
3. Setoguchi
4. Marleau
5. Thornton
6. Clowe
7. Shelley
8. Mitchell
9. Cheechoo

Call up:

10. McGinn
11. Couture *
12. Staubitz

Defense:

1. Boyle
2. Murray
3. Vlasic

Call up:

4. Petrecki
5. Joslin

6. FA/Trade Upgrade
7. FA/Trade Upgrade
8. FA/Trade Upgrade

Maybe I'm crazy. But common sense tells me we need a lot of changes to get to where we want to be.

LOL luko at best will land us a 7th rd pick by himself. and i will def hope dw tries to resign moen at the right price hes a perfect fit on the 3rd line. your right we will be stuck with all 3 marleau. thornton and nabokov due to their ntc. but marleau seriously needs to go i would try desperatley to get him to waive his ntc and if not rip that C off his chest. we will not win anything period with marleau as the captain/leader on this team.

marleau will benefit on a team full of leaders so all he has to do is keep quiet like he is all the time and just play. their no point of getting rid of nabby unless we get another goalie who can play as well or even better which i see no team making a deal to satisfy us since i do not think we have any goalie in the minors ready to run the show. my faith in nabby has ran out thin and def has ran out come playoffs.

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Gone:

Defense - Blake, Semenov

15 Offensive Players:

1. Michalek
2. Pavelski
3. Setoguchi
4. Marleau
5. Thornton
6. Clowe
7. Shelley
8. Mitchell
9. Cheechoo

Call up:

10. McGinn
11. Couture *
12. Staubitz

Defense:

1. Boyle
2. Murray
3. Vlasic

Call up:

4. Petrecki
5. Joslin

6. FA/Trade Upgrade
7. FA/Trade Upgrade
8. FA/Trade Upgrade

LOL luko at best will land us a 7th rd pick by himself. and i will def hope dw tries to resign moen at the right price hes a perfect fit on the 3rd line. your right we will be stuck with all 3 marleau. thornton and nabokov due to their ntc. but marleau seriously needs to go i would try desperatley to get him to waive his ntc and if not rip that C off his chest. we will not win anything period with marleau as the captain/leader on this team.

marleau will benefit on a team full of leaders so all he has to do is keep quiet like he is all the time and just play. their no point of getting rid of nabby unless we get another goalie who can play as well or even better which i see no team making a deal to satisfy us since i do not think we have any goalie in the minors ready to run the show. my faith in nabby has ran out thin and def has ran out come playoffs.

You're right. What was I thinking even suggesting Luko as a trade option? That's like the Niners trying to trade Roman. I said it myself that BL was the epitome of mediocrity, and he really was. I think we could easily upgrade over Brad with a FA signing.

Just from looking here: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2009&pos=ALL -- there seems to be a lot of good defenders available.

I have no idea on the likelihood of landing any of these players in particular, but just a few that I know are good (indicated by *) that I wouldn't mind seeing here and some others in that list who had good numbers:

Ohlund (VAN) * - Reminds me somewhat of Rob Blake.
Beauchemin (ANA) *
Spacek (BUF) *
Bouwmeester (FLA)
Bergeron (MIN)
Schneider (MON)

Here are all the forwards available: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2009&pos=F
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM ]
no to schieder and Jay Bo, Bo is gonna command at least 6 mill and I dont think he has the heart to win.

I want Beauchamin.
no to schieder and Jay Bo, Bo is gonna command at least 6 mill and I dont think he has the heart to win.

I want Beauchamin.

Oh. I wouldn't know. I can't recall ever catching more than a few seconds of a Florida Panther game. Schneider I know little about.

But liking the Canucks and having watched them often, I do know Ohlund has something to offer, and has the heart to win. Beauchamin I will admit is probably better though.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 3, 2009 at 8:52 PM ]

I want Beauchamin.

Oh. I wouldn't know. I can't recall ever catching more than a few seconds of a Florida Panther game. Schneider I know little about.

But liking the Canucks and having watched them often, I do know Ohlund has something to offer, and has the heart to win. Beauchamin I will admit is probably better though.

we have no shot at bouwmeester unless we trade either of our big 3. hands down i'll take beauchamin plus its a huge plus to get him outta damn anaheim. its kinda hard to say bo doesnt have the heart to win dude has been playing with a horrible panthers team his whole career up to this yr where they were decent and sniffing the playoffs. honestly i would be happy if we got him but of course wont, he'll go to whoever pays him the most, oilers would be a good fit probably. hes from edmonton and they were gonna throw lots of money to hossa this past off season
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Jack Johnson, Martin Havlat, Mike Cammalleri, Jordan Leopold, Marc-Andre Bergeron would be guys I would look at in the offseason.

Havlat and Cammalleri might be pricey. Another guy I would break the bank for is........Sergei Zubov. I don't think Dallas will let him go, but that is certainly the type of player the Sharks need.
Share 49ersWebzone