LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Take this for what it's worth but yahoo had an article on the upcoming offseason saying that the Giants may be suitors for Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Just rumors..

I would want to keep Uribe and Penny. Trade for a bat.

Bay could come to the bay

Do not want. He'll never hit 30 HR's in our park.

definitely dont want bay. there isn't much in the way of FA's dont spend big dough on some guy who isn't that good, just because he's better than the rest of the options.
Take this for what it's worth but yahoo had an article on the upcoming offseason saying that the Giants may be suitors for Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Just rumors.. I would want to keep Uribe and Penny. Trade for a bat.
Agreed. Yes he's a consistent hitter, but I don't know how well he would do in SF.

whatabout holliday then?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Take this for what it's worth but yahoo had an article on the upcoming offseason saying that the Giants may be suitors for Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Just rumors.. I would want to keep Uribe and Penny. Trade for a bat.
Agreed. Yes he's a consistent hitter, but I don't know how well he would do in SF.

whatabout holliday then?

Holliday would be intriguing, but I think he may want to stay in St. Louis. He has also mentioned that he would love to play at Fenway someday.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Take this for what it's worth but yahoo had an article on the upcoming offseason saying that the Giants may be suitors for Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Just rumors..

I would want to keep Uribe and Penny. Trade for a bat.

definitely dont want bay. there isn't much in the way of FA's dont spend big dough on some guy who isn't that good, just because he's better than the rest of the options.

The money might be a deterrent, but I don't think Bay is short on talent.
We practically have a tripple a line up out there with bowker, rohlinger, etc out there. itd be nice to see a few of these young guys step up to close out the season.
We practically have a tripple a line up out there with bowker, rohlinger, etc out there. itd be nice to see a few of these young guys step up to close out the season.

I'm not sure Bowker's stats at Fresno will translate to Major League success, but I hope he proves me wrong.
Actually never mind, i missed that we had pablo and molina out there. speaking of which, now that he has his 20 home runs why arent we playing posey instead?
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
13,199 posts in here! I hate to think how many were mine. Well.. its been an interesting year.

Every off season is important but perhaps none more than these next 6 months. Neukom can shape the future of this organization by determining who the GM will be and the level of their commitment with their payroll. Fans have supported this team very well but that will change if the team takes a big step backwards.

1,293 posts from you

LOL well I guess that shows my interest in the Giants. I hardly ever post in Niner talk anymore. How do you see how many posts you have made in a thread anyway?
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
13,199 posts in here! I hate to think how many were mine. Well.. its been an interesting year.

Every off season is important but perhaps none more than these next 6 months. Neukom can shape the future of this organization by determining who the GM will be and the level of their commitment with their payroll. Fans have supported this team very well but that will change if the team takes a big step backwards.

1,293 posts from you

LOL well I guess that shows my interest in the Giants. I hardly ever post in Niner talk anymore. How do you see how many posts you have made in a thread anyway?

Go to the forum and click the number where it says 13K
Top 5

Ninerjohn 1294
BirdmanJr 671
itlynstalyn 611
49erFaithful 602
TheDoktor 580

What happened to Stoney? He started the thread and then disappeared

I would not be happy if the Giants signed Bay to a big contract. I think he is a good hitter in Fenway but is certainly not the consistent bat as others have said that warrants a huge contract.

The Giants will have a lot of expiring contracts and will have money I believe to sign a 5th starter and 2 lower priced hitters. The good thing is the Giants do not have to spend money to shore up the bullpen in my opinion.

There was an article in one of the papers that discussed the fact that 18 of the 38 million off the books will probably have to go to Lincecum and Wilson if they go to arbitration along with resigning Uribe. Obviously, it would be smart to sign Timmy to a long term deal rather than have to go through arbitration with him.

Penny has certainly been good for the Giants and I would consider a 2 yr 10 million dollar for him. Nothing more. He is probably the best alternative for the team for the 5th starter role.

So much depends on what they decide to do with Freddy. If they let him walk then it makes sense to convert Velez everyday to 2b and sign a power hitting LF. I actually hope that happens.
Torres with the home run!

edit: ninerjohn what power hitting lf do you have in mind? any names?
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM ]
Torres with the home run!

edit: ninerjohn what power hitting lf do you have in mind? any names?

If money was no object obviously Holiday and Bay would be the best 2 power hitters out there. I just think this team is better served getting 2 hitters and a pitcher for the same amount Holiday would cost... lets say around 15-16 million per year.

Assuming we still have Rowand and dont trade for Bradley... I would like to get a RF and a LF. Abreu and Dye are the 2 that I would look at for a 1-2 year deal with a lower base and high incentives. There is no way the Sox will exercise the option on Dye or offer him arbitration in my opinion so he would be attractive on an incentive laden deal. Here is the reality however. This FA class is just awful and with the scarcity of hitters Abreu and Dye might get much bigger offers than they normally would for 36 year olds. I would also not be surprised at all if the Angels pony up to keep Bobby A.
if we keep this lead.. i wonder if we'll see RJ pitch in the later innings
Bochy/Sabes will be back next year

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/01/SPEC19VOOG.DTL&tsp=1

Share 49ersWebzone