There are 183 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Originally posted by SacRock14:
I like your 24. I think the 25th should be a pitcher -- Billy Sadler. Maybe Perdomo or Matos.

With Aurilia, Frandsen and Velez, I don't think we'd need to keep Uribe. He could be first call-up (if he's willing to go down to Fresno).

i'll take perdomo hes been really solid in camp. even though sadler has good stuff dude is inconsistent and is getting hit hard in camp
I havent heard what the Giants plan is in regards to carrying 11 or 12 pitchers. Has anyone heard? I would guess that early in the season with off dates they may in fact just carry 11 but will go to 12 later on. I like having 11 pitchers and 14 everyday players for now.

Bowker.. gives them LH power off the bench and a spot start at 1b
Uribe - veteran experience and soome versatility to play INF spots
Guzman great hitting year in minors - might stick just for bat off the bench
Rohlinger - great spring - longshot to make team

I guess it comes down to these 4 if they keep a position. What guy would you think should make the team?
I like your 24. I think the 25th should be a pitcher -- Billy Sadler. Maybe Perdomo or Matos.

With Aurilia, Frandsen and Velez, I don't think we'd need to keep Uribe. He could be first call-up (if he's willing to go down to Fresno).

Call me crazy, but I'd rather keep Uribe than Richie. Aurilia can really only play 1st at this stage of his career (just not agile enough to play 3rd)....Uribe can play all the infield positions with the exception of backup 1st base (which Sandoval can handle). Not to mention, if Renteria falters and/or his defense remains awful, Uribe could step in and at least play decent defense at SS (which keeps Burriss at 2nd).

Finally, the one thing you can count on every baseball season is Rich Aurilia having a slow April and May....he's virtually useless until summer.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean on Mar 10, 2009 at 10:05:22 ]
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Not a spectacular line-up, but no glaring weaknesses.

Taschner bothers me.

Bowker needs more consistency at the plate. His fielding leaves much to be desired.

Taschner has a penchant for giving up runs when it matters. I almost faint every time he goes in for relief. There's no telling what will happen when he's pitching.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:

Call me crazy, but I'd rather keep Uribe than Richie. Aurilia can really only play 1st at this stage of his career (just not agile enough to play 3rd)....Uribe can play all the infield positions with the exception of backup 1st base (which Sandoval can handle). Not to mention, if Renteria falters and/or his defense remains awful, Uribe could step in and at least play decent defense at SS (which keeps Burriss at 2nd).

Finally, the one thing you can count on every baseball season is Rich Aurilia having a slow April and May....he's virtually useless until summer.

I dont totally disagree with you. And.. you are definitley not one of the crazies in here! However, I think its pretty much a given that Richie will be on the team. He had a good year at the plate and has the veteran leadership and ties to the team that makes him somewhat valuable. I also think that he can handle 3b for spot duties. With Velez, Burris, and Frandsen I think the Giants have enough depth at 3b, ss, and 2b.
Originally posted by ninerfaninLA:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:

I dont totally disagree with you. And.. you are definitley not one of the crazies in here! However, I think its pretty much a given that Richie will be on the team. He had a good year at the plate and has the veteran leadership and ties to the team that makes him somewhat valuable. I also think that he can handle 3b for spot duties. With Velez, Burris, and Frandsen I think the Giants have enough depth at 3b, ss, and 2b.

Uribe's only shot to make this team out of Spring training is with Bochy going with only 11 pitchers. He will have to contribute big time during Richie's annual early season doldrums for him to be there when the team needs to cut a position player and add a pitcher
I havent heard what the Giants plan is in regards to carrying 11 or 12 pitchers. Has anyone heard? I would guess that early in the season with off dates they may in fact just carry 11 but will go to 12 later on. I like having 11 pitchers and 14 everyday players for now.

Bowker.. gives them LH power off the bench and a spot start at 1b
Uribe - veteran experience and soome versatility to play INF spots
Guzman great hitting year in minors - might stick just for bat off the bench
Rohlinger - great spring - longshot to make team

I guess it comes down to these 4 if they keep a position. What guy would you think should make the team?

Id eliminate Uribe right off the bat. I think we have enough middle infielders to cover it. I think Guzman has potential as they could rotate Pablo to catching and Guzman in at 3rd. But you know I love me some Bowker. Rohlinger is like you said a long shot.

Probably Bowker or Guzman.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Taschner bothers me.

Bowker needs more consistency at the plate. His fielding leaves much to be desired.

Taschner has a penchant for giving up runs when it matters. I almost faint every time he goes in for relief. There's no telling what will happen when he's pitching.

agree i swear i better not see TRASHner on this team
Originally posted by hec26:

Taschner bothers me.

agree i swear i better not see TRASHner on this team

Get used to it. I really dont think they would have offered him arbitration if they planned on releasing him. I'm not saying you are wrong about his ability.. only that I think he will make the team.
Anyone see this about Velez? Looking more and more likely he gets a roster spot:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/03/09/giants-hope-velez-can-spell-rowand-in-cf/

Anyone see this about Velez? Looking more and more likely he gets a roster spot:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2009/03/09/giants-hope-velez-can-spell-rowand-in-cf/

I think its a given that he makes the team. The last spot to me is the unknown.

I want it to be RohLOLinger, just so I can say that whenever he f**ks up, which is often at 3B.

I want it to be RohLOLinger, just so I can say that whenever he f**ks up, which is often at 3B.

why would you WANT a guy on your team to f**k up?
Giants win 6-4 but couldn't keep the HR streak going, highlights of the day:

Guzman: 2 for 4 with a run

Bowker: 2 for 3 with 2 runs and a rbi

Downs: 2 for 4 with a rbi

Posey: 1 for 2 with a run and an rbi

Uribe: 2 for 3 with a rbi

^ That is some good young hittin right there!
The more I think of the roster the more I think that Guzman should get the last spot. He just seems to be a hitting machine and a perfect pinch hitter and spot starter at 3b.

With Uribe you know what you are going to get... .240-..260 with some punch and a lot of K's. Bowker needs a lot of ABS in the minors and needs to play everyday to see if he can really be a top hitter.
Share 49ersWebzone