There are 202 users in the forums

NEW YORK YANKEES REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I cant believe people are calling Jeter one of the most overrated players ever. Give me a break. Anyone who can get 3000 hits is just not overrated. PERIOD. I could care less what his slugging average is.

I dont remember ANYONE ever saying that he was the greatest player of all time or even the greatest SS of all time. He is certainly a first ballot Hall of Famer that played the game with class and all out effort every time he has taken the field.

That's prolly because of is huge salary but he has been an overall solid player and plays the game the way it should be played and plus he's clutch and a winner.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Great accomplishment, but still one of the most overrated athletes ever.

no way

im not a yankee fan but hes one of ten guys ( i think) that has that accomplishment he may be one of the best SS to play the game

He's done some very impressive things...that being said, no way he deserves to have made over $200M in his career (and likely north of $250M when it's all said and done). In baseball, stats tell the whole story. You can essentially rank and judge players never having watched any of them, just based sheerly on stats (with the exception of maybe ability in the field). The best mainstream one, in my opinion, is slugging % (total bases per at-bat). His career slugging is .449- very mediocre. There are 62 guys that have slugging %'s higher than that this year, just for some perspective. He also has had only one season with a slugging % above .485. There are 40 guys right now that are over that mark. Considering the fact that pitchers are dominating today WAAAAAY more than 5, 10, 15 years ago (the Braves led the majors in ERA in 2000 at 4.05...right now those same Braves are over a full run lower and that 4.05 mark would rank 20th today), that's pretty surprising.

Andes???? Really! First i will admit that i'm a yankee fan so i am biased but he is the 4th fastest player to get 3000 hits. there's only 28 people in history on that list. until last year he played at a high level in all of those years batting 300. I already posted the stat about the double didgit seasons with homers and doubles. The 3000 hit club has very few short-stops if any and that has to be the hardest position to play in the field. Think about how many great yankees there have been and none of them have ever done something like this. Even guys like boggs and gwynn and ripken were fantastic but they were limping up to the plate in crutches trying to get 3000 before they retired...

Just glad for Jeter because he takes so much flack but nobody would have ever thought he would have done it like this...

how does this situation not qualify for "limping to the plate on crutches to get 3000"? Jeter is clearly not the player he once was. its not like hes reaching 3000 early and will blow right past it. his defense has deteriorated. his range is gone. any other team wouldve moved him to another position, but the Yankees are too afraid to tell him he isnt a SS anymore. the fact that he won a GG last year, and made the all-star team this year is a joke.

Jeter had an incredible career, and 3000 hits is a big accomplishment, but without his legendary postseasons, i think his career is alot less on par with the other Yankee legends. if he spent his career on a losing team who never made the playoffs, he isnt being compared with Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

The Yankee bias makes him one of the most overrated players ever. and its nothing against Jeter. hes been a HOF caliber SS. the fans just treat him like hes the best SS to ever play.

Wade Boggs when he was playing was my favorite player at the time. Jeter just started to go down hill last year. He is really only one year removed from playing good. Most players when they get to 3000 are already moved to the DH spot or are hanging around on a bad team because that's really all the team has to sell tickets. They had Jeter change his swing last year. I still hold out that he can get things turned around.

no way

im not a yankee fan but hes one of ten guys ( i think) that has that accomplishment he may be one of the best SS to play the game

He's done some very impressive things...that being said, no way he deserves to have made over $200M in his career (and likely north of $250M when it's all said and done). In baseball, stats tell the whole story. You can essentially rank and judge players never having watched any of them, just based sheerly on stats (with the exception of maybe ability in the field). The best mainstream one, in my opinion, is slugging % (total bases per at-bat). His career slugging is .449- very mediocre. There are 62 guys that have slugging %'s higher than that this year, just for some perspective. He also has had only one season with a slugging % above .485. There are 40 guys right now that are over that mark. Considering the fact that pitchers are dominating today WAAAAAY more than 5, 10, 15 years ago (the Braves led the majors in ERA in 2000 at 4.05...right now those same Braves are over a full run lower and that 4.05 mark would rank 20th today), that's pretty surprising.

Andes???? Really! First i will admit that i'm a yankee fan so i am biased but he is the 4th fastest player to get 3000 hits. there's only 28 people in history on that list. until last year he played at a high level in all of those years batting 300. I already posted the stat about the double didgit seasons with homers and doubles. The 3000 hit club has very few short-stops if any and that has to be the hardest position to play in the field. Think about how many great yankees there have been and none of them have ever done something like this. Even guys like boggs and gwynn and ripken were fantastic but they were limping up to the plate in crutches trying to get 3000 before they retired...

Just glad for Jeter because he takes so much flack but nobody would have ever thought he would have done it like this...

Uh, double digit homers and doubles? Is 10 supposed to be a milestone figure for those? Lol, come on now, that's not like a 1,000 yard receiving season in football, or double digit rebounds or assists per game in basketball, etc. No one applauds a player for hitting 10 homers or doubles. I'd bet a higher % of his hits were singles than most of the other guys on the list. It's a great accomplishment, don't get me wrong, but he's still overrated. In fact, he's never won MVP (which he'd only have to be the most valuable player amongst 14 teams), but i don't even think he's close to the best player of this era to NOT win MVP.

I'll give you the homers stats because i didn't look them up. i just read the stat on espn. i knew it was low but yeah 10 is not that great. The MVP voting is baseball is crap though. Jeter should have won it a couple of years ago but they put so much emphasis on home run hitters. Wade boggs had a streak of 5 or 6 years where he had 200 hits and 100 walks in each season. That's getting on base over 300 times in a year. They just look for the guys that are hot that year in RBI'S and HR's and give the MVP to them. Guys like Boggs and Jeter don't even get consider for the award because singles, walks, doubles and gold gloves are just not sexy...

Which year exactly should Jeter have won it? I bet I can name several players that were more deserving in whichever year(s) you say. Also, there have been PLENTY of MVP's that don't rack up the homers and RBI's. Guys like Larkin, Pendleton, Pedroia, Ichiro, etc.

This season is no different with the annual debate of “what is an MVP” hanging over the award. Is the MVP the player with the best statics regardless of the team, or is it the most consistent and productive player from a contending team? If you think the definition is the latter of the two, then Jeter is at the top of the list. He didn’t win a batting title this season, but he did have one of his best offensive seasons since 2006 (another MVP-like season) at the top of the lineup of the 2009 champions. He got on base, won a Gold Glove and stole bases. He was the club leader in stolen bases (30) and batting average (.334) and he is now the all-time Yankees hit leader with 2,747 after passing Hall of Famer Lou Gehrig.

Mauer won that year. His stats are good but like i said earlier, baseball gives it to the sexier stats. Jeter had 212 hits to Mauers 191. 107 runs to 94. Doubles, triples and Slugging percent were basically the same. 66 rbi's to 96. Mauer led in many categories but like i was saying in an earlier post, they don't care about gold gloves or playoff runs, etc... If Jeter was in the 3 slot he would have just as many rbi's. Doubles were the same and he beat him in hits. His job is to bat leadoff and you just don't get as many rbi's with the 8 and 9 guys on base. They also won the series that year and Twins squeaked into the playoffs. I am biased i admit but i felt like he was more deserving that year.

no way

Uh, double digit homers and doubles? Is 10 supposed to be a milestone figure for those? Lol, come on now, that's not like a 1,000 yard receiving season in football, or double digit rebounds or assists per game in basketball, etc. No one applauds a player for hitting 10 homers or doubles. I'd bet a higher % of his hits were singles than most of the other guys on the list. It's a great accomplishment, don't get me wrong, but he's still overrated. In fact, he's never won MVP (which he'd only have to be the most valuable player amongst 14 teams), but i don't even think he's close to the best player of this era to NOT win MVP.

I'll give you the homers stats because i didn't look them up. i just read the stat on espn. i knew it was low but yeah 10 is not that great. The MVP voting is baseball is crap though. Jeter should have won it a couple of years ago but they put so much emphasis on home run hitters. Wade boggs had a streak of 5 or 6 years where he had 200 hits and 100 walks in each season. That's getting on base over 300 times in a year. They just look for the guys that are hot that year in RBI'S and HR's and give the MVP to them. Guys like Boggs and Jeter don't even get consider for the award because singles, walks, doubles and gold gloves are just not sexy...

Which year exactly should Jeter have won it? I bet I can name several players that were more deserving in whichever year(s) you say. Also, there have been PLENTY of MVP's that don't rack up the homers and RBI's. Guys like Larkin, Pendleton, Pedroia, Ichiro, etc.

This season is no different with the annual debate of “what is an MVP” hanging over the award. Is the MVP the player with the best statics regardless of the team, or is it the most consistent and productive player from a contending team? If you think the definition is the latter of the two, then Jeter is at the top of the list. He didn’t win a batting title this season, but he did have one of his best offensive seasons since 2006 (another MVP-like season) at the top of the lineup of the 2009 champions. He got on base, won a Gold Glove and stole bases. He was the club leader in stolen bases (30) and batting average (.334) and he is now the all-time Yankees hit leader with 2,747 after passing Hall of Famer Lou Gehrig.

Mauer won that year. His stats are good but like i said earlier, baseball gives it to the sexier stats. Jeter had 212 hits to Mauers 191. 107 runs to 94. Doubles, triples and Slugging percent were basically the same. 66 rbi's to 96. Mauer led in many categories but like i was saying in an earlier post, they don't care about gold gloves or playoff runs, etc... If Jeter was in the 3 slot he would have just as many rbi's. Doubles were the same and he beat him in hits. His job is to bat leadoff and you just don't get as many rbi's with the 8 and 9 guys on base. They also won the series that year and Twins squeaked into the playoffs. I am biased i admit but i felt like he was more deserving that year.

2009??? You could make the argument that he wasn't even a top-3 player of his own infield (Teixeira, Cano, and A-Rod). If it didn't go to Mauer, it should have gone to Teixeira or Cabrera, IMO.
I cant believe people are calling Jeter one of the most overrated players ever. Give me a break. Anyone who can get 3000 hits is just not overrated. PERIOD. I could care less what his slugging average is.

I dont remember ANYONE ever saying that he was the greatest player of all time or even the greatest SS of all time. He is certainly a first ballot Hall of Famer that played the game with class and all out effort every time he has taken the field.

you can be overrated and still be a HOF player. like i said before, if he played his whole career on the Houston Astros like Craig Biggio, he still wouldve been a HOF player and collected 3000 hits, but he would never have had the chance to be a postseason legend. the fact that he did it with the Yankees is why everyone is putting him up on a pedestal next to those legends like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

take away the postseason from his career, and his career doesn't seem that legendary. hes a classic HOF player and great representative of the game, but nobody would be speaking his name in the same sentences as the best ever to play.

You can say the same thing about Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra , and even Joe Dimaggio. Playing in New York City and playing in all the WS that they played in made them legendary as well. They were all GREAT GREAT players but may not have been held in quite the same esteem had they played in Kansas City. I wouldnt say any of them were overrated in the least though.

I just think its ridiculous that anyone would call Jeter overrated. Is he overpaid? Of course he is. So are most of the game's stars. Has he been an amazing player who EVERY team in baseball would have killed for when he was in his prime? You bet your ass he is.
A.Rod to have surgery on his knee, hes out 4-6 weeks
Originally posted by Vernon85:
A.Rod to have surgery on his knee, hes out 4-6 weeks

Yeah that sucks but i think it's the right thing to do and to do it now. Get back for the post-season...

you can be overrated and still be a HOF player. like i said before, if he played his whole career on the Houston Astros like Craig Biggio, he still wouldve been a HOF player and collected 3000 hits, but he would never have had the chance to be a postseason legend. the fact that he did it with the Yankees is why everyone is putting him up on a pedestal next to those legends like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

take away the postseason from his career, and his career doesn't seem that legendary. hes a classic HOF player and great representative of the game, but nobody would be speaking his name in the same sentences as the best ever to play.

You can say the same thing about Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra , and even Joe Dimaggio. Playing in New York City and playing in all the WS that they played in made them legendary as well. They were all GREAT GREAT players but may not have been held in quite the same esteem had they played in Kansas City. I wouldnt say any of them were overrated in the least though.

I just think its ridiculous that anyone would call Jeter overrated. Is he overpaid? Of course he is. So are most of the game's stars. Has he been an amazing player who EVERY team in baseball would have killed for when he was in his prime? You bet your ass he is.

Mantle, Berra, and DiMaggio wouldve been about as highly thought of in baseball history even if they played elsewhere. If you look at Jeters career totals minus the postseason, what makes him any different from a guy like Paul Molitor?

I know you cant just throw out the postseason, but the fact that Jeter had the chances to do so much in the postseason because of where he played, and the chance to become such an icon because of the market, elevated him way higher than he should be IMO.

Jeter is a 1st ballot HOF SS. im not taking that away from him. but people saying his name in the same sentence as the true legends of baseball history is ridiculous. stick Jeter on the Brewers and Blue Jays, and hes Paul Molitor with defensive ability. great player. HOF player, but nobody is saying "Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle.....Jeter"

Mantle, Berra, and DiMaggio wouldve been about as highly thought of in baseball history even if they played elsewhere. If you look at Jeters career totals minus the postseason, what makes him any different from a guy like Paul Molitor?

I know you cant just throw out the postseason, but the fact that Jeter had the chances to do so much in the postseason because of where he played, and the chance to become such an icon because of the market, elevated him way higher than he should be IMO.

Jeter is a 1st ballot HOF SS. im not taking that away from him. but people saying his name in the same sentence as the true legends of baseball history is ridiculous. stick Jeter on the Brewers and Blue Jays, and hes Paul Molitor with defensive ability. great player. HOF player, but nobody is saying "Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle.....Jeter"

This...and even Molitor would at least crank out a TON of doubles and was a WAY bigger threat on the bases. Jeter's postseason rep is also overblown. His playoff batting average is actually lower than his regular season one. He's essentially played a full season's worth of playoff games, yet he has only 54 career postseason extrabase hits, 57 RBI, and 17 SB. It's not like those are remarkable numbers to put up in a single season. It would be like people thinking of Robert Horry as a legendary playoff performer because he has 7 rings or something.

This...and even Molitor would at least crank out a TON of doubles and was a WAY bigger threat on the bases. Jeter's postseason rep is also overblown. His playoff batting average is actually lower than his regular season one. He's essentially played a full season's worth of playoff games, yet he has only 54 career postseason extrabase hits, 57 RBI, and 17 SB. It's not like those are remarkable numbers to put up in a single season. It would be like people thinking of Robert Horry as a legendary playoff performer because he has 7 rings or something.

First, Jeter is not done but that is still not going to get him next to Ruth, etc...
Second we absolutely cannot take away the postseason because that's always a big argument in all of sports. It's also a pretty decisive point in our favor when people say Montana vs. Marino, etc... The Yankees weren't very good before Jeter got there. Mattingly was the team. For all 17 seasons of Jeter's career the Yankee's have been relevant and they have been contending for a World Series. He is a big reason that they got back on the map and probably an even bigger reason of why people hate them.

Everyone keeps saying "Jeter isnt done"

He batted .270 last year and is batting .270 this year with a .330 OBP. Jeter isnt the same old easily .300 BA guy anymore. Derek Jeter is a average baseball player now.

He had a great career and hes a future HoFer but he's old and getting close to washed up

he is almost done
[ Edited by Vernon85 on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Vernon85:
Everyone keeps saying "Jeter isnt done"

He batted .270 last year and is batting .270 this year with a .330 OBP. Jeter isnt the same old easily .300 BA guy anymore. Derek Jeter is a average baseball player now.

He had a great career and hes a future HoFer but he's old and getting close to washed up

he is almost done

He's not going to be like was but even at 270 he can keep padding his stats for a better career. If he adds more championships and gold gloves it's just something that has to be taken into account. even with the 3000 hits he is 27th? on that list right now. By the end of this year he will easily be in the teens on that list and it just sounds better to say top 15 or if he plays a couple more years to say he is top 5 on the all-time list... if he finishes the year at 270 again i would like to see him bat somewhere in the back half of the line-up.

You keep trying to compare him to Ruth and Gehrig. No one has said he is as great as those players. He IS a Yankee great and in no way overrated. Someone who knows a lot more baseball than anyone in here, Bobby Valentine, called Jeter the greatest all around player of this generation. I'm not sure I would go that far but he is everything a great player should be.
jeter, jeter, jeter

you can be overrated and still be a HOF player. like i said before, if he played his whole career on the Houston Astros like Craig Biggio, he still wouldve been a HOF player and collected 3000 hits, but he would never have had the chance to be a
postseason legend. the fact that he did it with the Yankees is why everyone is putting him up on a pedestal next to those legends like Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

You keep trying to compare him to Ruth and Gehrig. No one has said he is as great as those players. He IS a Yankee great and in no way overrated. Someone who knows a lot more baseball than anyone in here, Bobby Valentine, called Jeter the
greatest all around player of this generation. I'm not sure I would go that far but he is everything a great player should be.

You can take bobby valentines word as gospel if you like, but i dont.

Some people ARE comparing him to those guys. Theres a thread asking if hes the BEST yankee ever...
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone