LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

***Official 2008-2009 Houston Rockets Thread***

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
But Landry's already 25, whereas Bynum was 19.

Bynum wasn't 19 last year when he was cast as the second coming, you're comparing the age of one from then to the current age of the other, Bynum is 21, Landry 25. Again Landry hasn't completed a full season, Bynum has several. I'm not saying the guy is a perennial all-star, just that for the amount of time he has been in the NBA coupled with the opportunities he's had, he shows a lot of promise. Not everyone jumps in at 19, what Landry did, spend 4 years in college, used to be the norm. He's definately been one of the more productive players of his draft class.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Bynum wasn't 19 last year when he was cast as the second coming, you're comparing the age of one from then to the current age of the other, Bynum is 21, Landry 25. Again Landry hasn't completed a full season, Bynum has several. I'm not saying the guy is a perennial all-star, just that for the amount of time he has been in the NBA coupled with the opportunities he's had, he shows a lot of promise. Not everyone jumps in at 19, what Landry did, spend 4 years in college, used to be the norm. He's definately been one of the more productive players of his draft class.

lmao landry is 25? and you think he has a higher celling then Ariza who is 23...

Bynum was 19 at the start of last season when he was being touted as "making the leap". He just turned 21 about a month ago.

Anyway, Landry came in at 24, which is 2 years older than most guys, even after 4 years of college. The reason that a guy like Bynum has more room to grow, despite being in the league longer than Landry, is that a man's body develops quite a bit between 21-27 or 28 (which is considered to be a player's "prime"), and you're gaining experience in those years as well. Landry's a lot closer to being a finished product physically than Bynum is.

I'm not knocking Landry. He's a good ball player. Plays hard every second he's out there and does have some talent. I just think that saying that he's a "budding star" is quite an overstatement, and I don't think that he doesn't have as much room to grow as you believe he does due to his age.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalfan21:

lmao landry is 25? and you think he has a higher celling then Ariza who is 23...

Do you even read the other posts, I specicifically stated I was not compring Ariza to anyone, reading is fundamental ? All you have are one liners with no argument and no basis. Go away homer, done arguing with someone who doesn't bother to come up with something substantial to add. you are the typical Faker fan, funny you were bashing LA recently for being soft, now right back on the second coming bandwagon. This is the last I'll respond to one of your thoughtless, fruitless posts.

LA9er, you have some good arguments and I can see where you are coming from. You are one of the few actual Laker fans that I enjoy debating with, whether we agree or not, you def know your stuff. perhaps I am a little blinded by the hustle at the PF spot because it's been a decade since I've seen any, and Landry for some reason is probably my favorite player on the team right now. Maybe budding star was a little strong. But the original argument was about Chris Mihm, which as a Horns fan pains me to say, but he is a bum and surely even you can agree, is not in Landry's class.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Do you even read the other posts, I specicifically stated I was not compring Ariza to anyone, reading is fundamental ? All you have are one liners with no argument and no basis. Go away homer, done arguing with someone who doesn't bother to come up with something substantial to add. you are the typical Faker fan, funny you were bashing LA recently for being soft, now right back on the second coming bandwagon. This is the last I'll respond to one of your thoughtless, fruitless posts.

LA9er, you have some good arguments and I can see where you are coming from. You are one of the few actual Laker fans that I enjoy debating with, whether we agree or not, you def know your stuff. perhaps I am a little blinded by the hustle at the PF spot because it's been a decade since I've seen any, and Landry for some reason is probably my favorite player on the team right now. Maybe budding star was a little strong. But the original argument was about Chris Mihm, which as a Horns fan pains me to say, but he is a bum and surely even you can agree, is not in Landry's class.

No, Mihm definitely isn't the caliber of player that Landry is, but IIRC, it was a 3 way deal where you guys would get Villanueva, not Mihm. (who would be shipped to Milwaukee along with someone else in a salary cap move, I believe)

Landry's a very easy player to like, I can understand why you love watching him play.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
As predicted, Motumbo is back - http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3800585
His D has been sorely missed, but he won't help inconsistent shooting.
As predicted, Motumbo is back - http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3800585

Damn, 42 years old is...............pretty damn old for a guy that supposed to be the one that is gonna shore up the D.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Damn, 42 years old is...............pretty damn old for a guy that supposed to be the one that is gonna shore up the D.

been hearing that for about 5 years now. In limited minutes he has yet to dissapoint. And the D doesn't need shoring up per se, still good enough for 2nd in the west w/o him and top 5 overall. he'll just add to that.

[ Edited by TX9R on Dec 31, 2008 at 11:13:12 ]

been hearing that for about 5 years now. In limited minutes he has yet to dissapoint. And the D doesn't need shoring up per se, still good enough for 2nd in the west w/o him and top 5 overall. he'll just add to that.

Ok, good luck with that.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
hate on, hater.

hate on, hater.

Dude. He's 42. Stoney is not hating. The Cookie Monster is just not gonna make that big of an impact. Again, he's 42.
Originally posted by angelv05:
hate on, hater.

Dude. He's 42. Stoney is not hating. The Cookie Monster is just not gonna make that big of an impact. Again, he's 42.

He'll help, IMO. When the Lakers played the Rockets earlier in the year, the Rockets had to have Carl Landry & Chuck Hayes guarding Bynum when the 2nd units were in, and that's when the Lakers started their big run. After Yao, the Rockets are a short team. Mutombo should be able to provide 10-15 minutes per game that will be valuable, IMO.
hate on, hater.

C'mon, TX. Don't be so sensitive. No matter how you look at it, 42 is pretty old for playing in the NBA.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
hate on, hater.

C'mon, TX. Don't be so sensitive. No matter how you look at it, 42 is pretty old for playing in the NBA.

trust me I thought the same thing for years, but year after year he just keeps playing well. Until I witness a decline, I'll assume he'll be as good as last year at what he does. He was 41 last year, what's the difference? After 38 it's all about the same. the guy is just a fundamentally sound defender and plays blocking angles as well as anyone ever. he's never been one to rely on athleticsm, again for 10-15 minutes, for half a season, he's a pretty significant addition to the roster defensively. Still doesn't help our lousy shooting, but hey.

Until I witness a decline, I'll assume he'll be as good as last year at what he does. He was 41 last year, what's the difference? After 38 it's all about the same. .

Dude, you're kidding with that last statement, right??
Share 49ersWebzone