Listen: 49ers Legend Vernon Davis Joins the Show →

There are 167 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Why do we have to realize what is going on?
You created this username just to tell us that Brady is better than Montana, this is the only thread you have posted in since joining.

it just seems like many of niners fans are in a collective denial.
As hard as it is to admit it, the level of high-level play for so long is just so hard to deny.

Yeah, you could say that Joe probably would've shredded so many records in today's NFL and had a longer career in a league that has the rules to protect QBs. You could make so many arguments and hypotheticals... But you can't know for sure. You can't compare different eras. All I know is, is that Tom Brady has won 5 Super Bowls and Joe Montana has won 4. And the other thing is.. longevity is huge too. Jerry Rice has all those records he has by playing at a high level longer than any other WR. But if you look at Randy Moss or Marvin Harrison or Calvin Johnson... they've had seasons where they were simply more dominant than Jerry Rice ever was in terms of TDs (Randy Moss), catches (Marvin Harrison) or yardage (Calvin Johnson). So if we can make an argument that Jerry Rice was the best for being so good, for so long, then we can make a similar argument for Tom Brady. (Of course, Jerry Rice was also more than just being a great receiver for a long time. He was a clutch player that showed up in big games, played in Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks in two different organizations, and is known as being perhaps the hardest working player to ever play the game)

There are certain things about Joe though that you just can't deny. He never lost in the Super Bowl... he never threw an interception. It creates a very mystical thing about him though that when he was in the BIG one, he always rose to the occasion.

You could make arguments for both. But I think it's a question of... Joe Montana's perfection in the Super Bowl vs. Tom Brady's 5 rings. I guess it's a Quality vs. Quantity question.
Good grief more thousand word posts saying the same thing over and over. Bottom line if you saw the two guys play, you would see they bring different skill sets to the table. I prefer Joe's and theres only a few qb's over the years who have those qualities too. Brady's durability is unmatched and it is his best argument for goatness. Others portray him as a savant with pre snap reads but i cant really judge that. I dont see him as obviously better than other elite qbs.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 10, 2017 at 12:25 AM ]
Originally posted by natediaz:

I live in SF Bay Area, I've yet to meet one 49ers fan that puts him above Brady since the super bowl. Everyone I know begrudgingly ad it's objectively, Brady has the better career.

But on the internet in here? We have a few crazy homers
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I live in SF Bay Area, I've yet to meet one 49ers fan that puts him above Brady since the super bowl. Everyone I know begrudgingly ad it's objectively, Brady has the better career.

But on the internet in here? We have a few crazy homers

Who was a better QB, Marino or Bradshaw?
So you Montana supporters believe that MISSING THE POSTSEASON ALTOGETHER, OR FAILING IN THE EARLY PLAYOFF ROUNDS IS BETTER THAN ADVANCING ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPER BOWL??????

Montana reached the postseason 11 times......Brady reached the AFC Championship game 11 Times! (And he's still not finished playing)
[ Edited by PatrickWillisHOF on Feb 10, 2017 at 3:33 AM ]
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
And the media wouldn't let TO into the HOF. Fans who think Brady is the GOAT are just blind and incorrigible and can't admit it that Joe is the best of all time. If I'm picking a QB in his prime to lead my team to victory over the best in the universe I'm picking Joe Cool. That's a fact Seattle Jack.

look around everywhere and pretty much brady is the consensus GOAT QB right now. 7SB is better 4. 4SB mvps are better than 3. and he did it in a fashion where nobody thought it's possible. he did it at the age of 39. he did it without #1 WR.

i'm very curious why it's so hard to admit brady has passed montana. brady passed him few years ago.

Have you ever seen Montana play? Im curious as to why is it so hard to admit that Montana had "it" over Brady? Are you blind by the longevity and stats? Is Bill Russell greater than Jordan? Is Emmitt Smith greater than Tomlinson?

Hah you've seen the greatness of Brady against your Hawks. He dinked and dunked your boys all game long and your defense wasn't quick enough to make a tackle 1 on 1.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
When O'Brien became Brady's offensive coordinator, Brady told him, "I want to be coached." But, O'Brien said, that doesn't mean Brady's easy to coach. "He watches almost as much film as the coaches, and retains more of it than anyone."

So, when O'Brien gave his New England quarterbacks the game plan against Buffalo in 2010, he told them Buffalo never would get suckered by a certain scheme. Brady spoke up: "We ran this play before on these guys when their staff had a similar coaching philosophy, so it'll work."

"When was that?" O'Brien asked.

"2002." Brady said.

"Eight years ago?" O'Brien responded, incredulously. "Get out of here!"

Brady said New England had faced second-and-two, on the 35-yard line, when he hit Troy Brown on a crossing pattern.

"No way you remember that," O'Brien insisted.

"Put it on!" Brady said.

So O'Brien loaded the plays from 2002. Sure enough, early in the game, the Pats faced second-and-two, and Buffalo tried to defend them with the exact scheme Brady claimed they had.

"I don't think anyone in this league," O'Brien concludes, "has a better memory than Tom's."

Good read if you're bored.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/how-brady-went-from-7th-string-at-michigan-to-nfls-best/ar-AAmNycF?li=BBnb7Kz
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Why do we have to realize what is going on?
You created this username just to tell us that Brady is better than Montana, this is the only thread you have posted in since joining.

If the NFL didn't change over the years to favor offenses and protect the quarterback, then it would be easy to compare across multiple eras. Unfortunately, evertime the QB gets hit in today's game, they expect a flag. If Brady had to take the type of hits over his career like Montana did, he may have retired 3 or 4 years ago (only would have had 3 titles). Today's rules protect the QBs enough to allow them to play until they are 40.

On the flip side, if the game protected QBs during Montana's time, how would history be different? Would he have not broke his back, giving Young the opportunity to play? Would he have finished his career in SF? Maybe besting the Cowboys and Packers in the 90s to possibly win 6+ Super Bowls?

Brady is the best QB of his era. Not questioning that. I think Montana was the best of his era. I just think it's more complicated to identify a GOAT.
Sorry its Rogers.

But, if Brady keeps it going, we'll have to reconsider how much weight to give the longevity piece. Even with the fluffy rules.

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Have you ever seen Montana play? Im curious as to why is it so hard to admit that Montana had "it" over Brady? Are you blind by the longevity and stats? Is Bill Russell greater than Jordan? Is Emmitt Smith greater than Tomlinson?

Hah you've seen the greatness of Brady against your Hawks. He dinked and dunked your boys all game long and your defense wasn't quick enough to make a tackle 1 on 1.

What did Joe have that said he had "it" over Brady?

Brady has been just as clutch, calm cool and collected as Joe ever was. Joe had some of the best offensive talent around him in the prime of his carer and had one of the best offensive minds in the NFL coaching him and finding talent around him.

Outside of being more mobile, what has Joe shown to have "it" over Brady?

I can see people still clinging to the "Joe played when defenses could actually play" argument because that one cannot be debated but you chose to go with the "Joe had 'it' over Brady" approach so please explain...
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Sorry its Rogers.

But, if Brady keeps it going, we'll have to reconsider how much weight to give the longevity piece. Even with the fluffy rules.

Is Randy Moss a better receiver than Jerry Rice?

btw..it's Rodgers.
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
If the NFL didn't change over the years to favor offenses and protect the quarterback, then it would be easy to compare across multiple eras. Unfortunately, evertime the QB gets hit in today's game, they expect a flag. If Brady had to take the type of hits over his career like Montana did, he may have retired 3 or 4 years ago (only would have had 3 titles). Today's rules protect the QBs enough to allow them to play until they are 40.

On the flip side, if the game protected QBs during Montana's time, how would history be different? Would he have not broke his back, giving Young the opportunity to play? Would he have finished his career in SF? Maybe besting the Cowboys and Packers in the 90s to possibly win 6+ Super Bowls?

Brady is the best QB of his era. Not questioning that. I think Montana was the best of his era. I just think it's more complicated to identify a GOAT.

This has already been mentioned as a flawed argument.

There are injury prone QBs in today's game as well and there are guys who hardly miss a start. Brady is one of those guys and his diet and training is very unique and not something a lot of other guys do.

Tony Romo is playing in the same rules as Brady and he can't stay healthy. RG3, same rules can't stay healthy. Ben Roethlisberger, same rules can't stay healthy.

If the new rules help anything it's stats. They allow drives to continue where they wouldn't before. However Brady played before the recent rule changes were made and still won a SB...hell the Pats were the reason the rules were changed.

But do you think somehow because a flag is thrown defenders aren't looking to put Brady on a stretcher? The hit he took from TJ Ward would somehow not put him out for a season if it was flagged?

And once again the hit that took out Montana was and is perfectly legal today. So why exactly would Brady get retired early with different rules? Dan Marino played with the same rules as Montana he didn't get retired early.

Part of Montana's game was scrambling around...that leads to more hits regardless of era. Brady's game is different and it's why he doesn't get killed nearly as much as someone who would run around back there holding the ball longer.

Yes it's difficult grading guys across different eras but I'd say playing today definitely has it's own challenges including dealing with the salary cap so winning in today's NFL when there are lot more teams(Since Montana mentioned Graham that was like 16 teams and 1 playoff game for the championship game, little easier to win) and talent is spread out so much because of the cap.
Montana was throwing to Hall of Famers while Brady has been throwing to players people will forget about.

I have come to terms that Brady is the greatest QB. It doesn't mean that Montana sucked though.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Montana was throwing to Hall of Famers while Brady has been throwing to players people will forget about.

I have come to terms that Brady is the greatest QB. It doesn't mean that Montana sucked though.

Lolz -- who are these Hall of Famer (s) with an "S" that you speak of? I only know of one -- Jerry Rice.

Whereas there's no doubt Randy Moss, Gronkowski, Welker, and Edelman all have a superb chance to get in.
Share 49ersWebzone