There are 252 users in the forums

OL Erik Pears

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by slowriot:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
who ?

Hopefully, we'll never have to know...that would mean Staley/Davis were hurt.

So he has not shot at starting other than injury ?

Well, unless Martin, Thomas and a potential draft pick all flame out. Highly unlikely.

Agreed!
Originally posted by NCommand:
who ?

Hopefully, we'll never have to know...that would mean Staley/Davis were hurt.

So he has not shot at starting other than injury ?
Maybe he has a shot but not likely. He most likely will be swing tackle and guard backup. That is about what his salary says anyway.
Cohn's take:

Grade: C.

Offensive line is one of the 49ers' biggest weaknesses.

The Niners' offensive line gave up 52 sacks last season—second most in the league. Only the Jacksonville Jaguars gave up more sacks than the 49ers.

As recently as 2012, the 49ers had the best offensive line in the NFL. What happened?

Joe Staley and Anthony Davis still are excellent tackles, but Staley is on the downside of his career, and Davis might be injury prone. Their backup, Jonathan Martin, is just bad.

Starting right guard Alex Boone also seems to be on the downside of his career. He was mediocre last season after returning from a holdout. And Pro Bowl left guard Mike Iupati signed a five-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, according to Adam Schefter.

The 49ers needed to sign an offensive lineman. They signed Erik Pears for two years, $.7 million according to Niners Nation. Pears isn't great or even particularly good, but he can play guard or tackle, and he's better than Jonathan Martin. Now, the Niners can cut Martin, which is a bonus.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2399207-grading-the-san-francisco-49ers-free-agency-moves-so-far/page/7
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Cohn's take:

The Niners' offensive line gave up 52 sacks last season—second most in the league. Only the Jacksonville Jaguars gave up more sacks than the 49ers.

As recently as 2012, the 49ers had the best offensive line in the NFL. What happened?

Joe Staley and Anthony Davis still are excellent tackles, but Staley is on the downside of his career, and Davis might be injury prone. Their backup, Jonathan Martin, is just bad.

Starting right guard Alex Boone also seems to be on the downside of his career. He was mediocre last season after returning from a holdout. And Pro Bowl left guard Mike Iupati signed a five-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, according to Adam Schefter.

The 49ers needed to sign an offensive lineman. They signed Erik Pears for two years, $.7 million according to Niners Nation. Pears isn't great or even particularly good, but he can play guard or tackle, and he's better than Jonathan Martin. Now, the Niners can cut Martin, which is a bonus.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2399207-grading-the-san-francisco-49ers-free-agency-moves-so-far/page/7
where does this davis is injury prone b******t come from? lupati was a major reason why we sucked,, we got four good young kids to battle for two spots, then we have two quality back ups,, pear is versatile and is a respectable tackle so he should beat out martin,, then i hope we get a couple of other guys in either via free agency, draft or UDFA to compete for depth.. also a correction the 2012 team was the best run blocking line in the nfl but you would never now it because your coaches at the time thought it would nice for them to set around playing checkers on second and goal from the five,, the team has also been horrid in pass protection since 2011 in my opinion
you are my least favorite 49er.
Cohn's take:

if they were that bad last season than we are not better by any means...
Offence is worring me
He makes me miss the days of Jamie Brown and Kwame Harris.
Not good
Originally posted by jreff22:
Not good

You're being kind.

Originally posted by amir_tn80:
He makes me miss the days of Jamie Brown and Kwame Harris.

lol! we need to sign someone off waivers or try Brown with first offense..
I had a bad feeling about Pears once we signed him, and then gave him $1M in LTBE incentives, not a fan of him, doubt he gets the ax, but he isn't a quality starter in the NFL IMO.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I had a bad feeling about Pears once we signed him, and then gave him $1M in LTBE incentives, not a fan of him, doubt he gets the ax, but he isn't a quality starter in the NFL IMO.

We have nobody else
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

We have nobody else

I wouldn't mind them trying Brandon Thomas or Trenton Brown at RT, Thomas played Tackle some at Clemson, so he should be able to play RT,
Brown gonna overtake starting RT spot by mid-season unless Boone gets moved there. Book it.

Pears was signed as a backup, so I can't even blame Baalke too much. AD retirement really screwed with the OL plan this year.
Share 49ersWebzone