LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 259 users in the forums

Why doesn't Bryant Young ever get mentioned?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Because he's the suxors
Used to play this dude in madden.. Solely on my madden 2003, I would only play him, when I was on defense. Sacks for days.
http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/state-your-case-why-bryant-young-deserves-more-from-hof/

Great article. Bryant Young and Roger Craig for the HoF
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Used to play this dude in madden.. Solely on my madden 2003, I would only play him, when I was on defense. Sacks for days.

Dude was a beast and anchored that Dline.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:

Dude was a beast and anchored that Dline.

Yeah just a great all around player and guy. Was it Donahue that f**ked it all up and we didn't take Wilfork and we traded down i believe twice for Woods?
Interesting that he had more tackles and tackles for loss than sapp but only trails sapp by 7 sacks. BY was the best interior D Lineman during his time which is what I thought the HOF was all about.
Why does this get brought up all the time
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Why does this get brought up all the time

Free BY!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
Ok, this is incredibly random. But I have wondered for several years now. And I just barely joined this forum about a week ago, so now I can post a topic. Does anybody have any insight as to why nobody ever even mentions Bryant Young? It's as if he doesn't exist or never even played for the Niners. Last I heard, he was a coach at Notre Dame. After reading the thread about retiring Frank Gore's number, it reminded me about #97. I've been wondering if they will ever retire it. Since he retired nobody that I am aware of has ever worn #97, hinting that maybe the Niners have made that # unavailable. Yet nobody ever even brings up his name to compare him to anyone. He was one of the better D-lineman we have had, and he spent his entire career in SF which is rare these days. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows anything about this, or am I just imagining stuff?

He was a good D LIneman on a lot of sucky 49er teams, and that's probably why he's been held back from the HOF. The suckyness of the teams he played on is brining his Hall of Fame stocks down.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Ok, this is incredibly random. But I have wondered for several years now. And I just barely joined this forum about a week ago, so now I can post a topic. Does anybody have any insight as to why nobody ever even mentions Bryant Young? It's as if he doesn't exist or never even played for the Niners. Last I heard, he was a coach at Notre Dame. After reading the thread about retiring Frank Gore's number, it reminded me about #97. I've been wondering if they will ever retire it. Since he retired nobody that I am aware of has ever worn #97, hinting that maybe the Niners have made that # unavailable. Yet nobody ever even brings up his name to compare him to anyone. He was one of the better D-lineman we have had, and he spent his entire career in SF which is rare these days. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows anything about this, or am I just imagining stuff?

He was a good D LIneman on a lot of sucky 49er teams, and that's probably why he's been held back from the HOF. The suckyness of the teams he played on is brining his Hall of Fame stocks down.

But cortez kennedy is in

Haters
[ Edited by Allx9er on Aug 22, 2017 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

But cortez kennedy is in

BY was in for 14 years. He was a starter and won a SB plus was on several playoff teams as well as some really bad teams. The reason BY isn't in the HOF is probably exactly why the article pointed out. He wasn't a big media guy and he was never a flashy sack guy although he got a decent amount. Really, there might be a bias keeping him out. They guy was great against the run and collapsed the pocket during pass plays which included getting to the QB before other did. The guy was a beast.

I would add BY was good on really good teams as well as bad teams which is very telling. Some guys shine when they are the only good player on a team (kennedy) or when they are surrounded by good players and they benefit from other players (stubblefield).
[ Edited by PacTiger on Aug 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Damn You Yorks!!
Pissed me off seeing someone else wearing 97 last game
Because he wasn't that good. 49ers fans greatly overrate him. No, he wasn't double teamed every down. He was an undersized finesse DT who stopped being a net positive around 2001.
Share 49ersWebzone