There are 220 users in the forums

Why doesn't Bryant Young ever get mentioned?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
50+ fewer tackles only 7 sacks more yet in the hall and young isn't now why? BY was the motor on some of the best d's in the 90s and he never slowed down even when they moved him to end because of necessity. He's not the self promoter Sapp is and that may be the only reason why he's bit in yet.

Which Ds were those? He was a solid but not special player who was on star-studded 49ers Ds in the 90s, and once the stars got old/left, he was on mediocre-to-terrible defenses the rest of his career.

Sapp, meanwhile, was the leader of one of the best year-to-year defenses in history with the Bucs, including one that carried them to a Super Bowl victory.

What's disgraceful is how this fan base slobbers over guys like Bryant Young and is clueless about guys like Kevin f*gan, who was 10 times the player Young was. The guy comes out during the Candlestick tribute flag football game and gets the quietest reaction of any of the former players. The most this fan base knows about him is, "he had a mustache." Pathetic. This is the man who threw Anthony Munoz around like a rag doll in Super Bowl XXIII, dominating him in the game like he was facing a high school player. He may have been the greatest point of attack run defender in NFL history, but his career was cut short because his knees were in such bad shape.

Oh, but poor BY, the 49er hero of the millenials.
Originally posted by SolomonsLithp:
Originally posted by jcs:
50+ fewer tackles only 7 sacks more yet in the hall and young isn't now why? BY was the motor on some of the best d's in the 90s and he never slowed down even when they moved him to end because of necessity. He's not the self promoter Sapp is and that may be the only reason why he's bit in yet.

Which Ds were those? He was a solid but not special player who was on star-studded 49ers Ds in the 90s, and once the stars got old/left, he was on mediocre-to-terrible defenses the rest of his career.

Sapp, meanwhile, was the leader of one of the best year-to-year defenses in history with the Bucs, including one that carried them to a Super Bowl victory.

What's disgraceful is how this fan base slobbers over guys like Bryant Young and is clueless about guys like Kevin f*gan, who was 10 times the player Young was. The guy comes out during the Candlestick tribute flag football game and gets the quietest reaction of any of the former players. The most this fan base knows about him is, "he had a mustache." Pathetic. This is the man who threw Anthony Munoz around like a rag doll in Super Bowl XXIII, dominating him in the game like he was facing a high school player. He may have been the greatest point of attack run defender in NFL history, but his career was cut short because his knees were in such bad shape.

Hello Jordan. 49ers supporters in this place. Supporting a high quality player who was also a class individual. f*gan was a fine player as well. Not sure why you think you have to put one player down to support another, but there you are.

Bye.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Because ppl on this board dont appeeciate great players. Check out the amount of posts between armstead and bowman. These people concentrate on mediocre/bad players and often dont recognize great ones.

+1

Bryant Young is one of my favorites along with John Taylor.
Originally posted by SolomonsLithp:

I watched both player's careers and Kevan f*gan, while very skilled vs the run, lacked BY's ability to do both rush the passer and stop the run. BY was a very special player. He had one of the quickest get-offs I've ever seen. f*gan also had Haley, Carter, Holt helping him out.
Originally posted by LearnSomeFootballPpl:
Because he wasn't that good. 49ers fans greatly overrate him. No, he wasn't double teamed every down. He was an undersized finesse DT who stopped being a net positive around 2001.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
I watched both player's careers and Kevan f*gan, while very skilled vs the run, lacked BY's ability to do both rush the passer and stop the run. BY was a very special player. He had one of the quickest get-offs I've ever seen. f*gan also had Haley, Carter, Holt helping him out.

I haven't heard that name in a long time. He was one of my favorite players. He was a monster. He and Carter dominated the NFL for years. I think the 49ers still have the longest away games winning streak in the NFL - something like 19+ strait winning games streak. These two were a part of that record breaking team.
BY was an absolute stud. Solomon Thomas could be BY 2.0 if her stays full time at the 3T. The way BY would turn sideways and fly through OL gaps made him an absolute force in the backfield.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
he doesn't get mentioned that much because BY was quiet, and I just feel that he didn't make enough NFL news to get on the radar.. He didn't become a marketable player, and when he had to come up big on certain games (Green Bay), he really never dominated.

He was manhandled by his friend from Notre Dame (Aaron Taylor) and some OG (free agent) when we played Green Bay..
Share 49ersWebzone