There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All22 analysis: Red Zone issues

  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,838
Originally posted by GORO:
th1408 with all your film study will the new receivers improve the passing game or does Roman need to call plays better in the Red zone?

From a concept point of view, I think there is a problem with scheme. The red zone has been a problem since the Alex smith days. So in my opinion lack of players or an inexperienced QB doesn't explain all the redzone difficulties we've had since Harbaugh has been coach.

Now from just a scheme point of view, I don't think we've used Bruce Miller enough as a receiver in the red zone. Also - other than gore - we don't have a fullback that is a reliable short yardage back. Miller is good as a blocker and he's developing as a receiver, but as a short yardage back, I feel he does not have the vision needed for that position. I feel, from a scheme point of view, if the inside run game was more powerful, the play passes to the tight ends would be more productive. Goodwin has been a decent center while he was with us, but he was more of a position blocker. This kind of power run scheme, I think, needs a really powerful center to operate at top efficiency.
#12

1st & 10
49ers will pull Snyder for a guard lead run off right tackle.


Snyder is to lead through the hole and should have his block identified (blue defender).


Snyder is late identifying his block and completely misses it. The blue defender stuffs the run.


Gore for +2.


2nd & 8
Gore will run off right guard, but I'm not sure what's supposed to happen.


If this is straight ahead blocking, then Snyder should not pull, and Goodwin needs to get to the second level (yellow block). If Snyder is pulling, then Goodwin needs to take the orange block. Neither of this happens and the blue defender will stuff this run.


Snyder doesn't pull to lead through the hole. Goodwin does not get to the second level. Can't tell what's supposed to happen.


Gore for no gain.


3rd & 8
49ers: Smash concept on the left and some other routes, not sure what's supposed to happen.
STL: cover3


Kap hits the back foot of his dropback and looks left. Can't tell if he's looking at Boldin or the smash.


Same moment in time as picture above. All are tight window throws. Ham looks open, but that's a long throw, and that CB would come up quick to make a tackle.


Kap feels the pressure and will end up scrambling left (red arrow). Gore has leaked out for a checkdown. The best option may have been to scramble right (yellow arrow) and use Gore to lead block. The first down marker is at the 5 yard line.


Run for loss of -1. Bring in the FG unit.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jun 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,838
Originally posted by thl408:
#12

1st & 10
49ers will pull Snyder for a guard lead run off right tackle.


Snyder is to lead through the hole and should have his block identified (blue defender).


Snyder is late identifying his block and completely misses it. The blue defender stuffs the run.


Gore for 2.


2nd & 8
Gore will run off right guard, but I'm not sure what's supposed to happen.


If this is straight ahead blocking, then Snyder should not pull, and Goodwin needs to get to the second level (yellow block). If Snyder is pulling, then Goodwin needs to take the orange block. Neither of this happens and the blue defender will stuff this run.


Snyder doesn't pull to lead through the hole. Goodwin does not get to the second level. Can't tell what's supposed to happen.


Gore for no gain.


3rd & 8
49ers: Smash concept on the left and some other routes, not sure what's supposed to happen.
STL: cover3


Kap hits the back foot of his dropback and looks left. Can't tell if he's looking at Boldin or the smash.


Same moment in time as picture above. All are tight window throws. Ham looks open, but that's a long throw, and that CB would come up quick to make a tackle.


Kap feels the pressure and will end up scrambling left (red arrow). Gore has leaked out for a checkdown. The best option may have been to scramble right (yellow arrow) and use Gore to lead block. The first down marker is at the 5 yard line.


Run for loss of -1. Bring in the FG unit.

I think Goodwin was at fault. Not quick enough to get to the second level and cut off the Linebackers. Both run plays, his man caught Gore. On the pass play, he had a low snap and I think broke Colins concentration on the defensive reads. Also credit the rams D Line, they were doing exotic slants to disrupt the run blocking. First play they slanted into the off tackle play and the second play the D line looked like they were pinching and stunting right into Gore's path. Rams D line was good on this series, and they will be even better next year with an additional first round pick from their 2014 draft.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,833
Originally posted by Giedi:
From a concept point of view, I think there is a problem with scheme. The red zone has been a problem since the Alex smith days. So in my opinion lack of players or an inexperienced QB doesn't explain all the redzone difficulties we've had since Harbaugh has been coach.

Now from just a scheme point of view, I don't think we've used Bruce Miller enough as a receiver in the red zone. Also - other than gore - we don't have a fullback that is a reliable short yardage back. Miller is good as a blocker and he's developing as a receiver, but as a short yardage back, I feel he does not have the vision needed for that position. I feel, from a scheme point of view, if the inside run game was more powerful, the play passes to the tight ends would be more productive. Goodwin has been a decent center while he was with us, but he was more of a position blocker. This kind of power run scheme, I think, needs a really powerful center to operate at top efficiency.

I agree and would like to see Carlos Hyde used as a fullback especially in the redzone.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,833
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think Goodwin was at fault. Not quick enough to get to the second level and cut off the Linebackers. Both run plays, his man caught Gore. On the pass play, he had a low snap and I think broke Colins concentration on the defensive reads. Also credit the rams D Line, they were doing exotic slants to disrupt the run blocking. First play they slanted into the off tackle play and the second play the D line looked like they were pinching and stunting right into Gore's path. Rams D line was good on this series, and they will be even better next year with an additional first round pick from their 2014 draft.

I hope that Snyder does not make the team.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think Goodwin was at fault. Not quick enough to get to the second level and cut off the Linebackers. Both run plays, his man caught Gore. On the pass play, he had a low snap and I think broke Colins concentration on the defensive reads. Also credit the rams D Line, they were doing exotic slants to disrupt the run blocking. First play they slanted into the off tackle play and the second play the D line looked like they were pinching and stunting right into Gore's path. Rams D line was good on this series, and they will be even better next year with an additional first round pick from their 2014 draft.

I hope that Snyder does not make the team.

I believe he'll be replaced by Johnathan Martin.... but beware what you wish for ... don't know which option is better. I guess Martin is younger, but both seem like liabilities.
On the last 3rd down play, you had a good point about scrambling the other way and using gore to lead block. This is also one of those spots where he could have just dumped it off to frank and see what he could have got. He would have had a good 8-10 yard head start, might have been able to rumble to the goal line.
That need has been answered this offseason
#13

1st & 10
49ers attack vertically using playaction and 22 personnel to sell run.
STL: cover1 man


After dropping back seeing that Boldin was covered, the pressure is on Kap and he looks to evade the rush.


Kap scrambles for 14 yards, but the play is called back for offensive holding on Goodwin.


1st & 20
49ers will pull Looney (right guard) to the left.


Gore takes the handoff, but instead of following Looney, decides to hit the hole that was created when Looney pulled left. Gore for +5 yards.


2nd & 15
49ers work the left side of the field with Boldin and VD running a basic go(Boldin)/out (VD) combination. The color marked defenders will play a large role in coverage disguise. Blue is the FS, orange is the SS, green is the MLB. This picture is a split second before the ball is snapped as STL shows cover1. Pre-snap, Kap sees single coverage on Boldin out wide.


Kap hits the top of his dropback and looks to his left. He thought he had single man coverage with Boldin on the left flank which would either allow him to pull the trigger on Boldin's go route (back shoulder), or have Boldin clear the area for VD's out route to work.


Same moment in time as picture above. Notice where the color marked defenders have rotated to. The current picture shows cover2. The orange defender defeats Boldin's go route. The left side hook/curl defender (standing beside VD) will defeat VD's out route. STL will eventually reveal cover3 as green drops to the middle of the field.


Check out the pre snap and post snap disguise. From cover0 (man), to cover1 (man), to cover2 (man or zone), to cover3 (zone). Kap red lights both routes to the left, feels the pressure, and is sacked for -6 yards.


3rd & 21 (new quarter, change sides on the field)
49ers play it safe and run the ball. Gore for +6 yards. Bring in the FG unit.
It's my own personal opinion but on the original 1st down play, I'm just not a fan of only having 3 vertical routes without any checkdowns options. I get the Playaction is supposed to draw the lb up but that point in the field I think you are just making it too easy for the defense. If you want to got all verts, I prefer how they did it in the GB playoff game with an empty set. That way you at least have 5 guys creating problems and it actually stresses the defense.
Originally posted by Niners816:
It's my own personal opinion but on the original 1st down play, I'm just not a fan of only having 3 vertical routes without any checkdowns options. I get the Playaction is supposed to draw the lb up but that point in the field I think you are just making it too easy for the defense. If you want to got all verts, I prefer how they did it in the GB playoff game with an empty set. That way you at least have 5 guys creating problems and it actually stresses the defense.

I hear ya. Here's that play in GIF form. I believe the design is for the middle vertical route to hold the safety while Boldin performs a double move. Might be hard to see, but Boldin fakes outside then cuts back to the post. Lots of pressure all around Kap as STL brings the heat. At the end, you can see Gore and Miller release for checkdowns.

edit: I forgot to draw the checkdowns in the diagram of the play.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:59 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Niners816:
It's my own personal opinion but on the original 1st down play, I'm just not a fan of only having 3 vertical routes without any checkdowns options. I get the Playaction is supposed to draw the lb up but that point in the field I think you are just making it too easy for the defense. If you want to got all verts, I prefer how they did it in the GB playoff game with an empty set. That way you at least have 5 guys creating problems and it actually stresses the defense.

I hear ya. Here's that play in GIF form. I believe the design is for the middle vertical route to hold the safety while Boldin performs a double move. Might be hard to see, but Boldin fakes outside then cuts back to the post. Lots of pressure all around Kap as STL brings the heat. At the end, you can see Gore and Miller release for checkdowns.

edit: I forgot to draw the checkdowns in the diagram of the play.

Well it's nice that there was some checkdowns options. I did notice the double move by boldin on the gif. This might be a type of play that Stevie Johnson could excell at with his route running ability. Maybe give kaep a more detailed window with his style of routes.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM ]
#14

1st & 10
Looney pulls for a guard lead off tackle.


Looney leads through the hole.


Gore for +5.


2nd & 5
3TE set with Kilgore as the 3rd TE. 49ers pull Snyder for guard lead to the right. No one will block the orange defender.


Hard to determine if the orange defender was supposed to be VD's or Kilgore's block as they both look to block straight ahead. Miller and Snyder are to lead through the hole.


Orange defender will stuff this run.


Gore for +1


3rd & 9 (due to an offsides penalty)
49ers call a middle screen for Gore. Boone and Looney will be the downfield blockers.


Everyone fakes the pass block, including Gore.


Gore rolls off the block and makes himself available for the pass. Gore just caught the ball. Boone should have his block identified by now (red).


Boone never found a block to throw and Gore stops in his tracks due to seeing the defender in front of him (that Boone was supposed to block). A defender trailing the play takes Gore down from behind.


Gain of +4. Bring in the FG unit.


[ Edited by thl408 on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM ]
#15
(ball spotted at 20 so that's the RZ)
1st & 10
49ers try to get a hi-lo read over the middle using Shallow Cross (Boldin drag/VD dig).


When calling Shallow Cross, VD's dig route is determined by the coverage that the defense is playing. If it's zone coverage, VD is to find a soft spot in the zone and sit down to wait for the throw. If it's man coverage, he is to continue running across the field. STL is coming with cover1 man. VD needs to continue his route across the field (red arrow).


VD instead stops and sits in what he thinks is a soft spot. All that happens is his man defender closes the separation. After first looking to Crabs and red lighting Crabs, Kap will target Boldin on the drag, but the pass is knocked down by the defender. I am not sure if Kap would have looked to VD had VD continues his route, but you can see VD had a lot of room to run to.


Incomplete pass


2nd &10
49ers call read-option. The blue defender is Kap's read.


Kap ends up handing off the ball to Gore on the dive. After gaining +7 yards, Gore fumbles and STL recovers.


[ Edited by thl408 on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM ]
#16

1st & 10
SPIDER 2 Y BANANA!!! with no Venus!!1!one! (for 816)

49ers try to get a hi-lo read along the left sidelines using play action.


The fake handoff to Gore is supposed to suck in the LB (blue), opening up Miller in the flat. Boldin is seen trying to find his way through the line of scrimmage so that he can get into his route to provide the intermediate level read. The blue defender does not bite on the play fake.


The blue defender defeats Miller's flat route. The defender on VD has good position to cover VD's corner route. Boldin is still stuck within the line of scrimmage. That's the progression. Kap will eventually throw it away, out of bounds.


Boldin eventually breaks free, but that window has passed. Incomplete pass.


2nd & 10
49ers call a designed QB run to the left side of the formation. 49ers are counting on man coverage from SEA so Gore and Boldin are to clear out the left side of the field. The orange defender is LB Wagner, one of the quickest LBs in the league.


It's man coverage so Gore and Boldin are successful clearing out the left side. Boone is seen targeting Wagner (orange) for the block.


Boone whiffs on the block and Wagner will give chase to Kap.


Had Boone nailed his block, Kap walks in. Instead, gain of +9.


Boone knows he goofed and walks over to tell Kap after the play.


3rd & 1
49ers come with a quick handoff to Miller using straight ahead blocking. They also use a quick count to try and catch SEA napping.


The orange defender is Red Bryant, very good run stopper. ADavis is to block him.


Bryant slants inside and beats the block of ADavis. Miller is stuffed in the backfield.


No gain. Bring in the FG unit.