LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

All22 analysis: Red Zone issues

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408

1st & 10
The ball is spotted on the 20, so it's a RZ opportunity.
49ers look to attack the top sideline defender with Vance and VD.

After quickly glancing at the strong side routes (Vance, VD), Kap looks over to Crabs on the backside. Kap is mid windup. Notice the positioning of the CB on Crabs. It's going to be hard to get the ball over the top when the CB is playing over the top (not in a trailing position).

The ball needs to be placed closer to the sideline (Crabs' outside shoulder) so that it's either Crabs catching it, or it falls out of bounds.

Intercepted
Concerning #16---on the spider y banana, I think you have to give the devil his due on this one. Seattle seemed to have that diagnosed pretty good and knew what we liked to do if it was gonna be a pass in that situation.

On the 3rd down, is it bad that all I want to see from that particular formation, is it flipped and sprint right option ran Or maybe a little flanker drive with boldin running the deep in and crabs running the drag.
Ugh...I didn't heed the warning in the first post. That is the worst form of torture. I just had to look.

The way I see it, a lot of what created problems is just a matter of offseason work and practicing to address those specific issues. As a positive, consider how deep Kaep has gone in the playoffs in both his chances despite the lack of experience. All that stuff can be rectified at one position as far as I can see. That is a good thing.
  • thl408

Some context: The 49ers are trailing by 1 with 2:39 left in the 4th quarter. SEA has no timeouts. 49ers are playing for the FG and want the game clock to tick away.

1st & goal

Run off right tackle. Orange defender is Chancellor, unblocked.

Orange effectively fills the gap. Gore for -1 loss.

2nd & goal
Vance lines up as another backfield blocker.

Run off left guard.

Gore for +2.

3rd & goal
49ers will pull Snyder for guard lead.

Gore for +2. Bring on the game winning FG.
  • thl408

This set of downs starts at the 21 yard line, but will eventually enter the red zone (19 yard line). I am not sure if this counts as a red zone attempt on the stat sheet, but my guess is that it does.

1st & 10
TB is a predominantly a man to man team. The routes (Crabs, Celek) look designed to clear out the flat for Miller to work.

Miller fakes a pass block, and will then release to the flat.

The throw is off target.

TB was in zone coverage and even had Kap thrown an accurate pass, Miller would have been tackled immediately by the two zone defenders on that side of the field. Incomplete pass.

2nd & 10
Inside trap play. Orange is the DL that is to be trap blocked (wham blocked by Celek).

On a trap play, the defender that is trap blocked is unblocked by any offensive linemen directly lined up in front of him. Once that defender crosses the line of scrimmage, a wham block comes from the side. Here, Celek (yellow) is to throw the wham block on the orange defender as Goodwin and Boone fire into the second level to block LBs.

The orange defender stumbles after the snap and is seen grabbing Goodwin's collar (hard to see from this angle). This will prevent Goodwin from being able to quickly reach the second level. Celek's block just got easier because the trap defender is on the ground.

Goodwin finally breaks free and needs to get to his block (the LB). Celek needs to hurry and pancake the orange defender on the ground, and mainly to get out of Gore's way and give Gore a straight path to the line of scrimmage.

Gore trips over Celek's leg. The blue defender, Goodwin's block, is able to gain inside leverage and beat Goodwin's block.

Gore for +2.

Goodwin complaining to the ref that his collar was held.

3rd & 8
49ers use the Levels concept (VD, Boldin).
TB comes with cover1 man while calling a defensive line stunt.

The line stunt as the OLB loops inside.

Kap hits the top of his dropback and has an unblocked LB running right at him.

The left side of the Oline fails to pick up on the stunt.

Sacked for -9. Bring in the FG unit.
^^^^on that last 3rd down, it's kinda weird that both boldin and crabs appear to be on the exact same plain. There we go again with our WR playing chicken on a yard line Personally I would have liked to see crabs whip in the other direction, therefore he is taking his defender from the levels portion.

It's almost like the plays is acting like an all curls concept at the very end.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

This set of downs starts at the 21 yard line, but will eventually enter the red zone (19 yard line). I am not sure if this counts as a red zone attempt on the stat sheet, but my guess is that it does.

1st & 10
TB is a predominantly a man to man team. The routes (Crabs, Celek) look designed to clear out the flat for Miller to work.

Miller fakes a pass block, and will then release to the flat.

The throw is off target.

TB was in zone coverage and even had Kap thrown an accurate pass, Miller would have been tackled immediately by the two zone defenders on that side of the field. Incomplete pass.

2nd & 10
Inside trap play. Orange is the DL that is to be trap blocked (wham blocked by Celek).

On a trap play, the defender that is trap blocked is unblocked by any offensive linemen directly lined up in front of him. Once that defender crosses the line of scrimmage, a wham block comes from the side. Here, Celek (yellow) is to throw the wham block on the orange defender as Goodwin and Boone fire into the second level to block LBs.

The orange defender stumbles after the snap and is seen grabbing Goodwin's collar (hard to see from this angle). This will prevent Goodwin from being able to quickly reach the second level. Celek's block just got easier because the trap defender is on the ground.

Goodwin finally breaks free and needs to get to his block (the LB). Celek needs to hurry and pancake the orange defender on the ground, and mainly to get out of Gore's way and give Gore a straight path to the line of scrimmage.

Gore trips over Celek's leg. The blue defender, Goodwin's block, is able to gain inside leverage and beat Goodwin's block.

Gore for +2.

Goodwin complaining to the ref that his collar was held.

3rd & 8
49ers use the Levels concept (VD, Boldin).
TB comes with cover1 man while calling a defensive line stunt.

The line stunt as the OLB loops inside.

Kap hits the top of his dropback and has an unblocked LB running right at him.

The left side of the Oline fails to pick up on the stunt.

Sacked for -9. Bring in the FG unit.
VD still running routes like a potato
  • thl408
This drive starts outside the red zone but will eventually get to the 20 yard line so I will include this set of downs.
1st & 10
49ers use Double Slants concept on the left (Crabs, Ham). They try to get a rub on the right (VD, Boldin). Both concepts are designed to bust man coverage. Not shown is how the TB defense made an audible pre-snap as three of the defenders flap their arms as to call a different coverage.

Kap completes his dropback and is looking at tampa2 coverage (zone). Two deep safeties (blue), CBs (red) force the inside release, MLB (orange) dropping to his deep zone. In whiteboard football, this play call will fail against this defensive coverage call. Kap is shown looking towards his right to VD/Boldin. If Kap throws to VD, the CB at the bottom of the screen will quickly come up to make the tackle. There is currently no passing lane to Boldin's slant. Kap will wait for the window to open once Boldin gets clear from the LB currently close to VD.

As a passing lane is about to open to Boldin's slant, Kap is shown pulling the trigger. The deep safety (blue) will drive on the route and smack Boldin as soon as the pass arrives.

Ball is dislodged. Incomplete pass.

2nd & 10
Fly sweep left to LMJ.

All the Olinemen, except for Goodwin, will cut block the defender in front of them.

Four cutblocks (Staley, Snyder, Boone, ADavis) while Goodwin works his way to the edge to lead. Miller will join in leading this sweep to the left.

Miller (on the ground) identifies his block and dives at the feet of the LB (blue). The LB shows off his agility and leaps over Miller's block, never breaking stride. Now, that LB becomes Goodwin's block. Crabs (orange) does a good job sustaining his block on the CB.

Goodwin is outmatched trying to block a LB running full stride and the LB never allows LMJ to gain the edge. Crabs wins on his block. Had Miller made a successful block, Goodwin's block would have been the yellow block and this play has a chance for a nice result.

Gain of +1. The ball is now on the 20 yard line so I think this makes it a red zone opportunity on the stat sheet.

Before the play, there was a false start penalty.
3rd & 14
49ers call Four Verticals.
TB calls cover1 man

Kap hits the top of his dropback and sees no one open.

The pressure flushes Kap from the pocket and he rolls right. Boldin will see Kap rolling right and break off his route to go towards the sidelines.

Boldin is hit right as the pass arrives. Incomplete pass. Bring in the FG unit.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM ]
I would like to see more of that fly sweep play especially in that sort of formation. When james motions it is essentially a red or split form, therefore all the old PA slide and waggle stuff should work. In some cases it might be better because the jet sweep action could really influence the defense one way and kaep coming our the back with a dump off to a back or a TE could be really scary.
  • thl408

1st & Goal
Inside handoff to Boldin on a guard lead right.

Snyder gets the kickout block while VD leads through the hole off right tackle. Goodwin has a tough block as he has to come across to block the 3tech who happens to be one of the best DTs in the league, #93 Gerald McCoy.

Kap fakes the handoff to LMJ on the jet sweep. Snyder and VD pull right. Snyder has targeted his block. Check out where Goodwin's feet are planted on the ground, parallel to the 10 yard line as he engages McCoy.

Goodwin gets turned as his feet are now perpendicular to the 10 yard line. This allows McCoy to get some penetration. Snyder has missed his block. The combination of these two miscues gives Boldin a very small lane to squeeze through in the backfield.

No gain.

2nd & Goal
Jumbo package as Kilgore and Looney check in as TEs. Boone will pull and lead through the hole.

Kilgore and VD do a decent job at walling off their blocks to provide a lane for Boone to lead through.

Gore trips over Kilgore's foot (yellow) and falls forward. Gore for +4 yards.

3rd & Goal
Double slants concept (Crabs/Carrier) on the left. Slant-flat (Boldin/VD) combination on the right.
TB comes with some sort of man coverage while double covering Carrier and Boldin.

Kap takes the snap and does a semi rollout to his right to get a better angle while targeting VD in the flat. VD has some separation on the LB.

To give VD a better chance at RAC, the pass should lead VD and force him to stretch out his arms to catch the pass in full stride. Instead, VD has to slow down to secure the throw. That's all that the LB needs to chase down VD after the catch is made.

Gain of +2. Bring in the FG unit.

• thl408
Game context: 49ers leading 30-14 with 3:44 left in the 4th quarter. It's a bunch of running plays up the gut. I'll just post the boxscore.

The drive starts outside the red zone, but the 3rd Down play is ran from inside the 20 yard line.

• thl408
49ers use a packaged play. This is the first instance I've recognized them running this concept. There are three possibilities on this play. The red WR screen, the yellow HB dive, and the orange QB keeper. The pre-snap read for Kap is that if there is a favorable numbers situation with the WRs, then throw the WR screen. With the blue defender standing up and possibly not coming on a rush, there is a possibility that the blue defender can quickly diagnose the WR screen and help with the tackle.

Notice Boldin getting into position for the WR screen with Patton and Osgood getting into position to block should Kap decide to go with the WR screen. Because of that blue defender's posture pre-snap, Kap will red light the WR screen and go with the read option. The blue defender does not crash down on the HB dive, so Kap will handoff to Hunter.

Hunter for +4 yards.

2nd & 6
49ers call a draw play for Gore. This may be another packaged play as there is also a WR screen set up for Crabs.

Notice Crabs in position to receive a screen pass. After Kap pump fakes to freeze the LBs, the handoff is to Gore. VD targets his block.

VD misses his block and that LB will stop Gore.

Gore for +2 yards.

3rd & 4
Read option while pulling VD to block. The blue defender is the read defender for Kap.

The blue defender does not crash on the dive play. Kap will handoff to Hunter.

There isn't much running room for Hunter as Iupati starts to let his block (orange) slip away.

Hunter for +2 yards. Bring in the FG unit.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jun 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]
  • thl408
There seems to be a discrepancy between the article I referenced in the first post from Eric Branch and my count of failed red zone TD conversion.

Branch stated: they scored touchdowns on 31 of 55 red-zone trips (56.4 percent)

By his count, that's 24 red zone possessions that resulted in not scoring a TD. I am about to cutup #24 and I see #25 already. I'll try to see what happened. It's possible his count is wrong .
Love all your stuff - I got nothing else to add haha other than - yup......
  • thl408
Page 6 is getting too GIF intensive. This is just filler.
Share 49ersWebzone