LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

3rd Down Offense.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I remember the days when we couldn't get a third down to save our life before last season. Problem is the guy making those 3rd down catches was Crabtree who had about 20 3rd down catches that went for first, problem is the rest of the team had about 20 third down catches all together. Now with him out and walker gone who will be the go to man on third down, and how will the coaching staff address this cause I feel it's could be a major issue for the offense!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jun 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM ]
Kaep's scrambling ability is huge on 3rd down.

Hopefully Boldin can step up for us on 3rd down, I don't see him getting a ton of touches, but 3rd down will be key.
Crabs was money on third down.

Hopefully kaps legs, Boldin and the possible emergence if Vance McDonald can make up for it.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171013-49ers-suck-situational-football-3rd-down-amp-redzone/
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171013-49ers-suck-situational-football-3rd-down-amp-redzone/

I've been following the links for half an hour and don't seem to be getting anywhere

This thread links to that thread and that thread links to this thread......
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
those were the dark ages (Alex era) just be glad that its behind us now (be glad that he's finally gone).
I think we will miss Crabtree's clutch 3rd down catches early on, but given some time I think Vance McDonald will be a beast in that area. Boldin is also a great 3rd down receiver.

Now if we can just get some speed on the outside (I'm looking at you AJ Jenkins) that will make our 3rd down offense much better too.
Roman will understand Kap's capabilities betterin play calling and I feel our new receivers will step up.
Roman, esp. on 3rd downs, calls plays that are designed to get an underneath man open for RAC resulting in 1st downs often. And it was usually Crabtree. For instance, Roman would have Moss run a deep post, occupying 2 DB's and VD running a seam route, also, occupying 2 DB's and Crabtree would run under them, catch a short pass and RAC for the first. I don't see this being much different of a role for AJ, Lockette, Patton, Manningham, Williams, etc. The plays will be the same with just a different WR running the route. That said, Crabtree often times had to be strong enough to break off DB's. PS: These similar plays are called inside the RZ...rarely will a pass be caught in the EZ (rather RAC underneath for a TD).
When it's 3rd and 5 or longer, I'd still like to see a few interesting screens - LaMichael James in space with a couple blockers? That's enough to give a linebacker nightmares.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
When it's 3rd and 5 or longer, I'd still like to see a few interesting screens - LaMichael James in space with a couple blockers? That's enough to give a linebacker nightmares.

Roman doesn't do screens sorry.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Well, he HASN'T done screens. But, he also keeps talking about "new wrinkles" so a fan can hope.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Well, he HASN'T done screens. But, he also keeps talking about "new wrinkles" so a fan can hope.

Oh sorry let me rephrase. he NEVER does screens. There.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
no
I dunno... maybe he'll throw to someone else?
Share 49ersWebzone