LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Baalke's Free-Agent Off Season Shopping...........DONE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Baalke's Free-Agent Off Season Shopping...........DONE?

• bret
  • Veteran
We replaced our troubled kicker, that's a plus. McCoy may not be better than Smith, but I think he's a good back-up and probably a better fit. Boldin is a HUGE upgrade over Moss. Delani Walker is a big loss, but I expect them to be able to add someone comparable between rounds 3 to 5. The offensive line shouldn't be worse. If they're comfortable with Kilgore eventually taking over for Goodwin, I wouldn't expect them draft interior line - they do, after all, have Looney returning from injury. The might invest in a project tackle in the late rounds. And you've got the expect the return of the Hunter, Manningham and Williams will also help. (And I'm not even going to mention AJ Jenkins who may wash out, but could also develop like many receivers, after a little time). A full year with Kap should make this unit much better than last year.

True, Dahl is not an upgrade over Goldson. But I think Goldson was overrated and wasn't worth the money. With the changing of the rules his penalties kept several drives alive, and though the team wasn't beat deep often, it's not a given that the problem was the corners. A lot of what looked like blown coverages, might have been blown assignments by the safeties. I expect a first or second plus a later pick to go toward safeties. Corner wasn't as weak as people make it out to be; but Asomugha certainly improves them there. Those who are worried about the line are overreacting to inujuries, I believe. I agree we need to develop a better rotation and an eventual replacement for Justin Smith. But I can't see how anyone wouldn't see Dorsey as an upgrade over Sopoaga. And RJF is a journeyman back-up in my book. When he replaced Justin teams ran right at him, and he couldn't occupy blockers for Aldon; furthermore at nose, he wasn't good enough to beat out Sopoaga. I expect them to use one of their top two picks on d-line, with probably a second choice later. The return of Haralson and the injured rookies (Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson) should solidify outside linebacker. Where I see a problem no one is talking about is inisde.linebacker. They haven't tendered Grant or Gooden, and they don't really have money to go out and sign someone (and who among up-and-comers is going to want to sign on here knowing they'll be behind both Willis AND Bowman. I expect a surprisingly high pick to go toward an inside backer. I also think they have their eyes on some specific special teams additions in the draft - we'll see.)

So, to make a long story short, yes they're done with free agency.

And while I'm at it, I can't help but notice how they put a stress on signing released players, rather than non-tendered ones - this means we will likely see a continuation of the cornucopia of comp picks coming in in future drafts! I really like the way Balke (and I assume money-man Paraag) are working the system to build a roster with talent, plus something people said couldn't be done in the salary cap era: depth!
[ Edited by bret on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:58 AM ]
We actually did alot more in free agency this year than i thought we would with so many draft picks, and a tight budget.

Im starting to wonder if there isaint one or two players in the first that balkee wants to make moves for.
Originally posted by bret:
We replaced our troubled kicker, that's a plus. McCoy may not be better than Smith, but I think he's a good back-up and probably a better fit. Boldin is a HUGE upgrade over Moss. Delani Walker is a big loss, but I expect them to be able to add someone comparable between rounds 3 to 5. The offensive line shouldn't be worse. If they're comfortable with Kilgore eventually taking over for Goodwin, I wouldn't expect them draft interior line - they do, after all, have Looney returning from injury. The might invest in a project tackle in the late rounds. And you've got the expect the return of the Hunter, Manningham and Williams will also help. (And I'm not even going to mention AJ Jenkins who may wash out, but could also develop like many receivers, after a little time). A full year with Kap should make this unit much better than last year.

True, Dahl is not an upgrade over Goldson. But I think Goldson was overrated and wasn't worth the money. With the changing of the rules his penalties kept several drives alive, and though the team wasn't beat deep often, it's not a given that the problem was the corners. A lot of what looked like blown coverages, might have been blown assignments by the safeties. I expect a first or second plus a later pick to go toward safeties. Corner wasn't as weak as people make it out to be; but Asomugha certainly improves them there. Those who are worried about the line are overreacting to inujuries, I believe. I agree we need to develop a better rotation and an eventual replacement for Justin Smith. But I can't see how anyone would see Dorsey as an upgrade over Sopoaga. And RJF is a journeyman back-up in my book. When he replaced Justin teams ran right at him, and he couldn't occupy blockers for Aldon; furthermore at nose, he wasn't good enough to beat out Sopoaga. I expect them to use one of their top two picks on d-line, with probably a second choice later. The retrun of Haralson and the injured rookies (Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson) should solidify outside linebacker. Where I see a problem no one is talking about is inisde.linebacker. They haven't tendered Grant or Gooden, and they don't really have money to go out and sign someone (and who among up-and-comers is going to want to sign on here knowing they'll be behind both Willis AND Bowman. I expect a surprisingly high pick to go toward an inside backer. I also think they have their eyes on some specific special teams additions in the draft - we'll see.)

And while I'm at it, I can't help but notice how they put a stress on signing released players, rather than non-tendered ones - this means we will likely see a continuation of the cornucopia of comp picks coming in in future drafts! I really like the way Balke (and I assume money-man Paraag) are working the system to build a roster with talent, plus something people said couldn't be done in the salary cap era: depth!

My teacher would be pissed at me with my response, but, Bret, I AGREE!
I just think the thread needs perspective....signing nnamdi is nice, re-signing Patrick willis was a little bit more nice and so on...nfl teams succeed on one singular principle, and for us, Colin Kaepernick has to become an elite qb. if he doesn't, we are a worse team then we were last year, irrelevant on signing nnamdi or of who we draft. this is a qb based team. we lost a superbowl because our d didn't matter and colin had a hard time waking up. in this league, anything outside of qb is just irrelevant. For us to succeed, Colin has to grow to a point where he offsets the losses elsewhere.
Dorsey and Asomugha are top notch and will make an impact. Richard Seymour would be a great pick up but I get the feeling he has the rings and like Ed Reed follows the money.
Originally posted by bret:

True, Dahl is not an upgrade over Goldson. But I think Goldson was overrated and wasn't worth the money. With the changing of the rules his penalties kept several drives alive, and though the team wasn't beat deep often, it's not a given that the problem was the corners. A lot of what looked like blown coverages, might have been blown assignments by the safeties. I expect a first or second plus a later pick to go toward safeties. Corner wasn't as weak as people make it out to be; but Asomugha certainly improves them there. Those who are worried about the line are overreacting to inujuries, I believe. I agree we need to develop a better rotation and an eventual replacement for Justin Smith. But I can't see how anyone wouldn't see Dorsey as an upgrade over Sopoaga. And RJF is a journeyman back-up in my book. When he replaced Justin teams ran right at him, and he couldn't occupy blockers for Aldon; furthermore at nose, he wasn't good enough to beat out Sopoaga. I expect them to use one of their top two picks on d-line, with probably a second choice later. The return of Haralson and the injured rookies (Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson) should solidify outside linebacker. Where I see a problem no one is talking about is inisde.linebacker. They haven't tendered Grant or Gooden, and they don't really have money to go out and sign someone (and who among up-and-comers is going to want to sign on here knowing they'll be behind both Willis AND Bowman. I expect a surprisingly high pick to go toward an inside backer. I also think they have their eyes on some specific special teams additions in the draft - we'll see.)

[ Edited by robniner on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by ssahnan:
I just think the thread needs perspective....signing nnamdi is nice, re-signing Patrick willis was a little bit more nice and so on...nfl teams succeed on one singular principle, and for us, Colin Kaepernick has to become an elite qb. if he doesn't, we are a worse team then we were last year, irrelevant on signing nnamdi or of who we draft. this is a qb based team. we lost a superbowl because our d didn't matter and colin had a hard time waking up. in this league, anything outside of qb is just irrelevant. For us to succeed, Colin has to grow to a point where he offsets the losses elsewhere.

Quarterbacks are important but not, as you imply, the only factor to consider. Do they catch the balls they throw? Very very rarely. Can they function without a line? No.

As for offsetting the losses elsewhere, FA and the forthcoming draft are more than compensating.

This offseason will be a great chance for Kaep to develop. But to say that everything outside the qb is irrelevant is just wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ssahnan:

Quarterbacks are important but not, as you imply, the only factor to consider. Do they catch the balls they throw? Very very rarely. Can they function without a line? No.

As for offsetting the losses elsewhere, FA and the forthcoming draft are more than compensating.

This offseason will be a great chance for Kaep to develop. But to say that everything outside the qb is irrelevant is just wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.

See New England, see Baltimore.
Share 49ersWebzone