LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

Goodwin vs Kilgore vs Looney

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You're overlooking Joe Looney...nothing says he can't play C. Both Harbaugh and Baalke are impressed with his intelligence...and there's no questioning his physical abilities. Plus, he's got the kind of mean streak reminiscent of Newberry. I'd give him every chance to replace Goodwin.

So by stating that people are overlooking Looney you are overlooking Kilgore. There's nothing that says that he can't play C either.
I think if the organization believed that Kilgore or Looney were ready they would be willing to cut Goodwin based on his cap number.
The O-line was excellent last season. Why tinker with what isn't broken. I think his replacement is on the roster and could in fact be Kilgore but the line gelled last season and were all able to stay healthy for the most part. The chemistry they have now is huge and shouldn't be messed with IMO.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Jonathan Goodwin turns 35 in December. Goodwin has a 2013 cap figure of $5,016,667. Including a $3.7 million base salary, $650,000 in playing time incentives and $666,667 in prorated signing bonus money. If the 49ers released Goodwin, they would only be on the hook for the remaining $666,667 in prorated signing bonus from his original signing bonus given back in July 2011. Goodwin sits as the 49ers highest paid offensive lineman.

Daniel Kilgore 6'3 308lbs turns 26 in December 2011 5th round pick.

Is Kilgore a solid option to step in at center for the 49ers in 2013?

If Kilgore can take over and perform well i'd cut Goodwin and sign a cheaper but solid FA vet for defensive depth.

No, Kilgore is not the answer at Center. He's too much of a hothead, and the team can't afford that at center. IMHO, Looney is the (current) much better choice for center.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Actually, Looney is going to compete with Kilgore and win the job. Goodwin will be asked to restructure his contract and compete but he won't so he'll be cut. This has been my surprise cut all along. Baalke needs to justify his previous draft and needs to get at least one starter out of that group so I expect him to push Harbaugh a little here.

OUR surprise cut all along LOL ... I've been saying it for months now.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Actually, Looney is going to compete with Kilgore and win the job. Goodwin will be asked to restructure his contract and compete but he won't so he'll be cut. This has been my surprise cut all along. Baalke needs to justify his previous draft and needs to get at least one starter out of that group so I expect him to push Harbaugh a little here.

Would have already done it. I doubt we cut him at this point. We need to fill other holes and creating one just because isn't a good move here. He's the guy that makes sure the all pro line is blocking the right guys!

Wrong.There are cuts coming ... between the draft and the end of camp ... Goodwin will most likely be among those cut.
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:
Has anyone else noticed Goodwin's habit of glancing downward right before every snap? If I was a defensive lineman, I would jump all over that tell as a way to time my attack.

The worse tell is Boone slapping Goodwin to let him know it's ok to snap the ball.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Wrong.There are cuts coming ... between the draft and the end of camp ... Goodwin will most likely be among those cut.

What other players are you predicting get cut?

Yeah, I am thinking Looney may actually be the C of the future, not Kilgore. I see him more as that versatile backup who can slide in and play C and G in a pinch.
Schwenke

Goodwin
Dixon
Hall
Hastings
Tukuafu
K. Williams

Goodwin
Dixon
Hall
Hastings
Tukuafu
K. Williams

Kyle Williams? seriously?

Whos gonna return punts? Dont say Hunter/LMJ/cox Because non are as capable as KW at PR.

Also if Jenkins doesnt work out, KW will be the most capable slot WR we have.

If Kyle Williams gets cut, we better have a good replacment for atleast PR.

If we drafted say and Austin, or Ace Sanders, then maybe you have a point. But it is highly unlikely Austin will even be available, let alone that we draft a WR that early.

Like it or not, I doubt seriously KW gets cut, because like it or not, he is the best PR we have on the roster.
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:
Has anyone else noticed Goodwin's habit of glancing downward right before every snap? If I was a defensive lineman, I would jump all over that tell as a way to time my attack.

The worse tell is Boone slapping Goodwin to let him know it's ok to snap the ball.

Yeah that's got to be a noise thing. Can't hear. He looks so he can see were to snap the ball and how far. Colin in a half shotgun. For all these tells the oline performs just fine rarely do we get beat for sacks!
People are so eager to cut people for money so the niners can spend it else where on a bigger mistake. JG will not be cut, not saying he is great, but the line has come together, can it get better, of course. The niners are not going to cut him in the off season, at least not until just prior to the regular season, they need to see if Looney is up to the task and if Kilgore can do the job first. None of the two have started a whole game at center, physically they may be on par with or better than JG, but their recognition of schemes and experience to make line changes is lacking. Plus what if there is an injury to one or two during the offseason or preseason? Then you are fk'd.

Unless the niners need the money this year to resign or sign someone worthy, can't see it. NA, who some are clamouring for is not worth the big money, not the way he has played the last two years. I can see those who want him, turn around if he sucks and b***h about why'd we sign him? Classic of some of the fans.
Goodwin
Dixon
Hall
Hastings
Tukuafu
K. Williams

Nope on Kyle, Kaep and Kyle kind started to gell before Kyle got hurt. You can't base it on just because Kyle messed up in the NFCCG. KW is a better wr than people think, if his knee is okay I ecpect good numbers from him especially if they go three wide and place the TE in the backfield, cause the boy has shown he can block so teams can't assume pass, even if they do, gore stays in and Crab, Boldin, VD will be dangerous enough, but Williams will also be overlooked. With Kaep we know he can get the wr the ball if given time, if not, Kaep will take off for positive yards. Same with Manningham. Then there is the question mark of Jenkins who is working out with Kaep, that is why I don't see us drafting a QB in the first three rounds like some of you want unless someone drops dramitically and it is bpa, still if that is the case, I expect Baalke to trade the pick for a pick next year that is of a higher round, like a 3rd for a second, or a third (our own at the end of the round) for a 3rd next year and a forth this year.
Share 49ersWebzone