LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Goodwin vs Kilgore vs Looney

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Wrong.There are cuts coming ... between the draft and the end of camp ... Goodwin will most likely be among those cut.

What other players are you predicting get cut?

Goodwin
Dixon
Hall
Hastings
Tukuafu
K. Williams

Kyle Williams? seriously?

Whos gonna return punts? Dont say Hunter/LMJ/cox Because non are as capable as KW at PR.

Also if Jenkins doesnt work out, KW will be the most capable slot WR we have.

If Kyle Williams gets cut, we better have a good replacment for atleast PR.

If we drafted say and Austin, or Ace Sanders, then maybe you have a point. But it is highly unlikely Austin will even be available, let alone that we draft a WR that early.

Like it or not, I doubt seriously KW gets cut, because like it or not, he is the best PR we have on the roster.

I firmly believe that Kyle is the odd man out. And I'm probably wrong, but I tend to go with my gut feelings. Good chance the FO drafts Ace if he's available in the 5th rd. Having said that. some team will probably take him in the 3rd.

I was asked for MY thoughts on surprise cuts - sorry Kyle, but I think you get cut.

Also, I never said ANY of the folks I listed will get cut BEFORE TC. Those I listed (Goodwin Dixon Hall Hastings Tukuafu K. Williams) *I* feel will not be on the roster at the end of preseason.
A mock recently had Cooper falling to the niners at 31. He can play G or C and would help assure the line staying strong. But having another first round pick on the line seems a bit unrealistic given the quality backups they have.

It is my belief that Goodwin will play another year and Looney or Kilgore will get more playing time to ease into the role.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Wrong.There are cuts coming ... between the draft and the end of camp ... Goodwin will most likely be among those cut.

What other players are you predicting get cut?

Goodwin
Dixon
Hall
Hastings
Tukuafu
K. Williams

Kyle Williams? seriously?

Whos gonna return punts? Dont say Hunter/LMJ/cox Because non are as capable as KW at PR.

Also if Jenkins doesnt work out, KW will be the most capable slot WR we have.

If Kyle Williams gets cut, we better have a good replacment for atleast PR.

If we drafted say and Austin, or Ace Sanders, then maybe you have a point. But it is highly unlikely Austin will even be available, let alone that we draft a WR that early.

Like it or not, I doubt seriously KW gets cut, because like it or not, he is the best PR we have on the roster.

I firmly believe that Kyle is the odd man out. And I'm probably wrong, but I tend to go with my gut feelings. Good chance the FO drafts Ace if he's available in the 5th rd. Having said that. some team will probably take him in the 3rd.

I was asked for MY thoughts on surprise cuts - sorry Kyle, but I think you get cut.

Also, I never said ANY of the folks I listed will get cut BEFORE TC. Those I listed (Goodwin Dixon Hall Hastings Tukuafu K. Williams) *I* feel will not be on the roster at the end of preseason.

This is what I had in this thread: Post #25 http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/172060-you-have-your-early-roster-locks-bubble-etc/page2/

WR (6) - Crabtree, Boldin; Jenkins, Lockette, Moore, Rookie (Taller, bigger, more physical). Manningham (will start the year on PUP)

Surprises: With Jenkins and Manningham back (eventually), I think the surprise cut is Williams not b/c he's a poor player but b/c the team is trying to get more physical with Boldin, Cratree and Lockette. And we have two smaller, slot guys in Manningham and Jenkins and Moore can stretch the field. He turns out to be a really good returner (better than Williams). That said, Williams could push Moore/Rookie off the roster as well.

Tough call...CK may have a word in this one!

Following that game and Williams' unfortunate exit, Kaepernick tweeted: "Please pray for my boy @KyleWilliams_10 wounded warrior but he will be back stronger than ever believe that!"

As to Looney @ C, I believe I read an article and/or saw an interview with Looney recently that stated he was working out at C and I thought Baalke backed up his progress as well and mentioned him specifically. We shall see.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:
I agree. Don't think he'll be cut unless we need to clear cap space for some reason. Assuming we don't go and sign an expensive FA at this point, it shouldn't be necessary.

On second thought, we should cut Goodwin and use the cap space to extend Anthony Davis. We could use the extra $5M to give Davis a front loaded contract, which would allow us to keep him while freeing up cap space for Kaepernick and Crabtree's extensions.

I would throw Mario Manningham into the cut consideration. After his pay cut, he has a similar cap figure as Kyle Williams. We will probably only keep one of them, and it will be the one that can help us more in 2013.
we can look for Center in next years draft..
I'm betting the Center is already on the team.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm betting the Center is already on the team.

Yeah his name is goodwin and he's here for another year. DEAL WITH IT! Better than David Baas
I agree. Don't think he'll be cut unless we need to clear cap space for some reason. Assuming we don't go and sign an expensive FA at this point, it shouldn't be necessary.

On second thought, we should cut Goodwin and use the cap space to extend Anthony Davis. We could use the extra $5M to give Davis a front loaded contract, which would allow us to keep him while freeing up cap space for Kaepernick and Crabtree's extensions.

I would throw Mario Manningham into the cut consideration. After his pay cut, he has a similar cap figure as Kyle Williams. We will probably only keep one of them, and it will be the one that can help us more in 2013.

You may very well be right. My initial thought was Mario gets cut because of his injury (injury settlement). Then he restructured, which threw all that out the window. Like NC said a few comments up, it's probably Williams as the odd man out.

I'm very fine w/Goodwin - he played well all season.
Goodwin is merely average. He needs to take a paycut or find another job. He has leverage because we don't have any proven depth behind him. I think the team will approach him to take a paycut, but I also think the team knows how valuable the Oline continuity is. If we don't draft a center early, Goodwin buys another year on the squad.

I never said Goodwin was a dirtbag guys LOL ... I just said I believe there is a plan in place, and that is Looney comes out of TC as the starter at center. I just don't think Goodwin will take a pay cut, but hey, what do I know?

Agreed. He deserves one last season as the starter.
Don't know why, but I've got a vibe that Looney will be tough to take out of the line-up once he gets his shot.
Share 49ersWebzone