There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Goodwin vs Kilgore vs Looney

Jonathan Goodwin turns 35 in December. Goodwin has a 2013 cap figure of $5,016,667. Including a $3.7 million base salary, $650,000 in playing time incentives and $666,667 in prorated signing bonus money. If the 49ers released Goodwin, they would only be on the hook for the remaining $666,667 in prorated signing bonus from his original signing bonus given back in July 2011. Goodwin sits as the 49ers highest paid offensive lineman.

Daniel Kilgore 6'3 308lbs turns 26 in December 2011 5th round pick.

Is Kilgore a solid option to step in at center for the 49ers in 2013?

If Kilgore can take over and perform well i'd cut Goodwin and sign a cheaper but solid FA vet for defensive depth.
[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:09 AM ]
Is there another Pouncey in the draft?

If Goodwin would re-structure his deal , I would welcome him back ....Kilgore might not be ready for the gig ...plus I like having Kilgore in as Wingback for exra power in short yardage situations
I'm sure this is his last year with the team anyways, He would have to take a much cheaper deal the next time around to stay just to old now.
Actually, Looney is going to compete with Kilgore and win the job. Goodwin will be asked to restructure his contract and compete but he won't so he'll be cut. This has been my surprise cut all along. Baalke needs to justify his previous draft and needs to get at least one starter out of that group so I expect him to push Harbaugh a little here.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Actually, Looney is going to compete with Kilgore and win the job. Goodwin will be asked to restructure his contract and compete but he won't so he'll be cut. This has been my surprise cut all along. Baalke needs to justify his previous draft and needs to get at least one starter out of that group so I expect him to push Harbaugh a little here.

Would have already done it. I doubt we cut him at this point. We need to fill other holes and creating one just because isn't a good move here. He's the guy that makes sure the all pro line is blocking the right guys!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Would have already done it. I doubt we cut him at this point. We need to fill other holes and creating one just because isn't a good move here. He's the guy that makes sure the all pro line is blocking the right guys!

plenty of cutst happen after june 1st....

i agree w/ above poster that i also see goodwin being released later in the off-season once the team feels comfortable w/ looney/kilgore

I see your point and that may end up being the case. That said, like stated above, many cuts are made later on esp. of this magnitude. We also have to remember that we run a Q offense now which mostly results in the QB in the shotgun with two backs next to him (for extra protection, blocking, running out of these formations and pass catching). We've run VD out of this formation and with Jenkins, we could run him out as well. The point? This formation tends to buy the QB an extra second or two and holds the edge rushers meaning we may not need that tradition C as much as in the past. Add in the extra mobility by CK (and focus on the pass) and we may not need that accomplished C as much. Looney/Kilgore can work on their timing of blocking and both, esp. Looney have much more upside and are bigger road-grading C's who are athletic enough to get to the second level. We have a very experienced OL now so now is the time to make that change...or at least have a real competition here. If both young guys are ready, Goodwin could be one of those good veterans that are cut later and picked up by another team. We've picked up several of these players ourselves over the years!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM ]

I agree. Don't think he'll be cut unless we need to clear cap space for some reason. Assuming we don't go and sign an expensive FA at this point, it shouldn't be necessary.
His play hasn't been bad. Sure the weak link on the oline, but that's because we have 3 first rounders, and boone a guy who had the talent to be a first rounder, but had off the field trouble with drinking and driving into peoples houses, I believe twice he did that lol. Center is one of the harder spots, if a center isn't working, you just move him to gaurd and he becomes an all pro. This is totally up to the coachs were just fans, I'd like to see him in preseason getting more reps to decided this, not until than would i make that call. I'm not looking to mess up the oline when it's finaly been in the fridge long enough to be jelly formed.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM ]

I was going to include Joe Looney but really have not seen this prospect play a down so can't evaluate this player.

Kilgore vs Looney who is the better center prospect to take over from Goodwin?

What about a younger cheaper center via trade or FA signing any options there?

Goodwin will be 35 by the end of the season and into the playoffs that is really getting up there in age for an NFL lineman.
I'm with Goodwin, at least until Frank retires. Having a guy named Kilgore blocking for a running back named Gore is just bad juju.
Has anyone else noticed Goodwin's habit of glancing downward right before every snap? If I was a defensive lineman, I would jump all over that tell as a way to time my attack.
Trent doesn't have to justify the previous draft by cutting Goodwin. Absoulte NONESENSE!

JH will determine who he wants to cut. JH will determine who he wants to start. Whoever can play the position at the highest level will getthe job - ask Alex.

Nobody in the Zone has a clue if Kilgore or Looney can come in and play Center and at what level. Nobody here has seen them play the position so it's all guesswork - at best.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Trent doesn't have to justify the previous draft by cutting Goodwin. Absoulte NONESENSE!

JH will determine who he wants to cut. JH will determine who he wants to start. Whoever can play the position at the highest level will getthe job - ask Alex.

Nobody in the Zone has a clue if Kilgore or Looney can come in and play Center and at what level. Nobody here has seen them play the position so it's all guesswork - at best.
Agreed. Some are even promoting Looney, who didn't play, over Kilgore.
You're overlooking Joe Looney...nothing says he can't play C. Both Harbaugh and Baalke are impressed with his intelligence...and there's no questioning his physical abilities. Plus, he's got the kind of mean streak reminiscent of Newberry. I'd give him every chance to replace Goodwin.