LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Article: Are the San Francisco 49es Full of Themselves?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Tough to argue w/Success.

Trent seems to be on top of it.

Let's hope so. But beware of the problem that exists in the investment world: there are plenty of money managers that have had hot hands for 3 years or less (with outsized investment gains), but extremely few guys who have been great for 5+ years.
Originally posted by fastforward:

Let's hope so. But beware of the problem that exists in the investment world: there are plenty of money managers that have had hot hands for 3 years or less (with outsized investment gains), but extremely few guys who have been great for 5+ years.

The comparison isn't doesn't really hold up though, because in this day and age, a franchise QB and excellent HC are required for long-term success.

Check and Check
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by J49er:
Proof that Baalke is full of himself in a way. It was widely reported he put AJ Jenkins name in a envelope the night before the draft and was going to
Take him regardless of who was on the board. If that's not full of himself, then I don't know what is.

If I remember correctly, he said he put a name in the envelop.

He never named a specific player.
  • thl408
Originally posted by BrianGO:
As opposed to what? "Take it or leave it a*****e"?

It's probably something like, "This is what we are offering, we can negotiate on X, Y, Z, but everything else is set."

Hah! Yeah you know what I mean.

He can be diplomatic and smooth. Something like "We can't give you X amount of money because we also have to address other areas of the team that we feel need to be bolstered. As much as I'd like to give you what you want, I must address these other areas in order to give the team the best chance to win it all. I hope that you understand".
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the pats do it the same way, that is why walker is not a member of the team anymore but of course the media slobbers all over them. i do not blame them,, 37 year old charles woodson is worth a certain amount and so is Nn the cb esp after two subpar years in a row. you do not over pay for that stuff. that is just crazy s**t
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
welker, whatever the hell his name is. i do not keep up to snuff that much in the jr high conference of the nfl
There are two options:

1) Blow the team's salary cap for a chance at a super bowl in a short window of a few years, and preclude signing your own drafted young players once they reach the end of their contracts because all your money is devoted to those free agents who may or may not have worked out..

..or:

2) Don't overpay for free agents who may or not work out and strategically use salary cap based on how you value players and have a long term plan financially for signing your drafted players and free agents, and let players walk if what they are seeking does not match your plan, which keeps your salary cap stable over time.

Guess which approach is the one that successful teams who routinely make the playoffs use?
I don't think we want to go through salary cap hell ever again.
Rewarding players for past achievements in NFL free agency is a slippery proposition. Many players are on the decline by the time they hit free agency and their reputation is exceeds their ability. I think Baalke has a pretty sound approach to try to build mainly through the draft and supplement, but not overpay, in free agency. If the Niners draft well with their current bounty of picks they will be competitive for the championship for the next decade and will sustain their success because drafted players are faster, healthier and hungrier to make a name for themselves. I think the guy who wrote that article is just a fan tossing in his own two cents, which is how much weight I'd give the article.
They are over analyzing this a little bit. We were pressed up against the cap. So something had to give. RJF was a backup. He got more money elsewhere. Alex Smith was in no way going to come back here again. The only real loss was Goldson. And I think it's a big one. But every team loses players sometimes.

Confidence is not the same as being full of yourself. He did end the article with "I wouldn't bank against them", so he has some intelligence…
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are over analyzing this a little bit. We were pressed up against the cap. So something had to give. RJF was a backup. He got more money elsewhere. Alex Smith was in no way going to come back here again. The only real loss was Goldson. And I think it's a big one. But every team loses players sometimes.

This. RFJ and Soap are gone, who cares? The guys who make the defense work are still here for the long haul (minus Aldon).

Goldson was the only serious loss. He was a good FS. Not a HOF type, but he was very good. We need to replace him ASAP. We cannot go back to a Mark Roman type player, which basically describes Dahl.

This I agree with.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This. RFJ and Soap are gone, who cares? The guys who make the defense work are still here for the long haul (minus Aldon).

Goldson was the only serious loss. He was a good FS. Not a HOF type, but he was very good. We need to replace him ASAP. We cannot go back to a Mark Roman type player, which basically describes Dahl.

With both Sopoaga and RJF being gone, one can rightly suspect that the 49ers defensive line will be weak at the nose tackle position. Ian Williams has his work cut out.
Some of these guys were there all day and into the late night. I am pretty sure there was a lot of schmoozing and selling guys on the team and why they should come here. If it was just a "here's our offer, take it or leave it" I don't think Woodson would have been in the building until like 10pm.
Share 49ersWebzone