There are 293 users in the forums

Article: Are the San Francisco 49es Full of Themselves?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Matt Barrows has tweeted over and over again last time people riticized Baalke and said he was an idiot he got exec of the year.
The 49ers should overpay for people so that agents think they're just the nicest guys around?

Brilliant idea.
  • J49er
  • Veteran
Yes, drafting AJ Jenkins in the first round is all the proof I need.
I think patience is important to the front office. Over paying for anyone is not on the table. The idea of paying for your own talent several years in advance saves millions and keeps the team competitive. Finding the right players in the draft year after year is the key. Once a starter reaches late twenties or early thirties he's allowed to walk. And the cycle continues with next years draft. Let's see how many extra 2014 draft picks come from trades with the 2013 draft. Having a franchise QB ties everything together.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This article reads as if it were written by a dyslexic 13 year old loaded up on Reese's peanut butter cups and cocaine.

That fricken hilarious!
Remember the 9ers teams under Walsh would let guys leave that still had a few years of productivity left.
We can ooh and aah about the money guys the Seasucks picked up via free agency but when it comes draft day the Niners will be picking the bodies and staying young while the Seahawks skip day one and sleep late on day two. While their way of approaching free agency can be seen as arrogant, it can also be seen as very smart. The Pats who have become the a model team which other teams try to emulate has followed what is essentially the same plan and what have done over the last decade? WIN. So, while its not a glamorous way to shop, it makes way more sense for sustaining a winning tradition. Plus, I do believe that there are players out there who care to win just as much as they like money; maybe even more. Those are the guys that take a little less to win and get a ring. Those are also the guys that are willing to bust their butts. I'll take those guys over guys like Greg Jennings who thinks he worth $15 mil a year when he's not worth $9 mil. As far as letting some of our own walk with this philosophy? We'll the good of the whole is more important than the riches of the few.
Negative implications, however irrelevant, gain popularity only when you constantly lose.
Originally posted by pd24:
My take is that if our own player hits FA, we don't value that player much. Most of they guys we keep are extended before they hit FA.
This.

Additionally, we negotiate with and extend our own guys because the front office refuses to get into a bidding war over players from other teams. I'm sure there are contract "negotiations". The team isn't Carmax. The problem with free agency is that most guys are looking for the most bucks and the 9ers have shown recently that they will not get into a bidding war with anyone. If the player was a great fit and the funds were there, I'm sure the 9ers could make a big money signing. That said, that price is not going to get driven up by another team's offer.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
We can ooh and aah about the money guys the Seasucks picked up via free agency but when it comes draft day the Niners will be picking the bodies and staying young while the Seahawks skip day one and sleep late on day two. While their way of approaching free agency can be seen as arrogant, it can also be seen as very smart. The Pats who have become the a model team which other teams try to emulate has followed what is essentially the same plan and what have done over the last decade? WIN. So, while its not a glamorous way to shop, it makes way more sense for sustaining a winning tradition. Plus, I do believe that there are players out there who care to win just as much as they like money; maybe even more. Those are the guys that take a little less to win and get a ring. Those are also the guys that are willing to bust their butts. I'll take those guys over guys like Greg Jennings who thinks he worth $15 mil a year when he's not worth $9 mil. As far as letting some of our own walk with this philosophy? We'll the good of the whole is more important than the riches of the few.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

Kind of a ridiculous premise. Full of themselves because they don't buy into to free agency inflation?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
So the article wants the 49ers to spend alot of money on free agents like the Washington Redskins? No way the 49ers have in fact modeled after two succesful franchises during this cap era, the Patriots and the Ravens.

Unfortanetly they spent alot of money to keep the defense together for a run in 2012 and have realized that they will have to pay to keep players like Iupat, A Davis, Crabtree and Kaepernick and of course Aldon Smith in the near future.
Originally posted by J49er:

Proof of what exactly? That Baalke thinks he's smarter than everyone else? Or that he can make mistakes like everyone else? Or that you just don't want him as our GM?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Or maybe we can spend alot of mone for a dream team like the 2011 eagles and now the Chiefs this year. Baalke is not perfect but his approach is working and we have a chance to sustain a winning team for years.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by J49er:

Proof of what exactly? That Baalke thinks he's smarter than everyone else? Or that he can make mistakes like everyone else? Or that you just don't want him as our GM?

I was hoping that he was being sarcastic
Share 49ersWebzone