LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 182 users in the forums

Article: Are the San Francisco 49es Full of Themselves?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by J49er:
Yes, drafting AJ Jenkins in the first round is all the proof I need.

Proof of what exactly? That Baalke thinks he's smarter than everyone else? Or that he can make mistakes like everyone else? Or that you just don't want him as our GM?

I was hoping that he was being sarcastic

And yet somehow, I don't think he is. So many people have completely written off the 2012 Draft class as a whole it's not even funny.
The only "Full of" is the writer and he's full of S--t.

By that statement I'm assuming he believes we are arrogant because of our success.

I think we are cautious and prudent.

There were so MANY whiners in the Zone when we didn't spend the big bucks on Asso. That turned out very good for us. In fact, look at the teams that spent the ridiculous money on garbage like Haynesworth and the "Epic All-Time Fail Team" aka The Dream Team - Eagles.

There is no perect anything - person, system, team GM, Coach - BUT there are VERY good systems, GM an Coaches and we have them.

Zoners, we really need to count our blessings and remember the Nowin and Bumbleberry.
Originally posted by Beeker:

Proof of what exactly? That Baalke thinks he's smarter than everyone else? Or that he can make mistakes like everyone else? Or that you just don't want him as our GM?

And yet somehow, I don't think he is. So many people have completely written off the 2012 Draft class as a whole it's not even funny.

Written off, no, but at this point, if we get any legit contribution from anyone other than LMJ, I'd be surprised.
Originally posted by Beeker:

Written off, no, but at this point, if we get any legit contribution from anyone other than LMJ, I'd be surprised.

That's fair. But, we'll also have to wait and see, right?
Hooray, a blogger on a site no-one's ever heard of, who's very, very unlikely to have any insider knowledge (but usually does fantasy football "tips"), said what now ?

I have seen his tips for winning the NFC Conference game though...protect the QB, run the ball, try to pressure the other QB and erm don't lose.

Sign him up.
If you're going to write an article, sit down with one thought in mind and write it, or you'll end up smearing s**t on the paper like Peter King. This article seems to change its message halfway through. Ugh, terrible, terrible writing.
  • thl408
Longevity of winning, even if you don't win a Super Bowl, nets more profit than having short term success. Even if the short term success is the pinnacle of success (win the SB). Having a winning tradition that lasts for 7-10 years where every year the team is playoff bound can build a strong fanbase and sell out tickets. The only way to establish and maintain a winning tradition in the salary cap era is to not overspend and skew the team's salary structure into one that is too top heavy. Baalke has it right imo.

Now, there are ways to say "take it or leave it" without sounding like a prick. I trust that Baalke is playing hardball but is doing it in a very polite manner.
The 49ers strategy is called, "Invest/reward your own players, succeed through draft, and pick up bargain-vets to stop-gap for rookies"

Think of it this way:

1. Yes, we did lose a great safety in Goldson, a vet WR in Moss, solid TE in Delanie, and two strong NT/DE guys in Sopoaga/RJF, but think about this, would you rather have any of those guys than A. Davis, Iupati, Kaep, Crabs, Aldon Smith?
If we signed those guys, we would've lost out on solidifying our #1 ranked OL, a QB star, emerging #1 WR, and a premiere pass rusher.

2. Of the guys we lost, which appears to be unfixable? This draft is deep in DL and TE, so not worried about losing those guys since we do have 14 picks. Safety-wise, is Goldson a 8mil a year player? Yes, Whitner gave up more plays, but didn't see Goldson stepping up either. I wish him well (fellow Husky), but we can get a stop-gap in FA (Woodson most likely) for a 1-year deal.
If not, should move Cully over to FS, which I feel, will become his natural Pro-bowl position.

3. Dahl isn't a starting FS. Did anyone notice we have lost a few ST players? We just snagged two very solid ST standouts from other team in Skuta and Dahl, reminding everyone ST plays win championships (see beginning of 2nd half in SB this year ).

The only thing I'm worried about is our CB situation. I feel we need more depth and the draft appears more top heavy. I'd like a look @ asomougha, but I have a feeling he wants top-tier money, but he's not getting that from ANYBODY (not even from CB lacking Saints). Think he will be humbled (similar to Goldson two years ago), sign 1 year deal with us, get back to pro-bowl level, and leave for a payday.

Not totally against a Revis trade, but would like it back loaded so to allow us to resign our own guys. Revis on one leg is still better than 75% of the league, and I think he'd LOVE to show off his skills against Sherman.
In the end the money just isn't there to spend, IMO. That's the thing about drafting well. If you get good ones you will need to extend those players later for much more than their rookie deals. I expect we will be hard up against the cap again this year as I can see Iupati & Crabs getting extensions that are front loaded to make room for Kaep's new deal after the season.
Why would we pay too much for a player we don't need? If they are worth it they will get what they are worth. We don't let our key players walk. We let the ones we don't need walk or take what we think they are worth. I think it is a privilege to play on a superbowl caliber team so yeah take it or leave it we can win without you so go after the money if that is what matters to you.

If this article is true, then this is the best news I've heard in the off-season. This strategy gives us so many advantages over everybody else.

First of all, we don't waste TIME by fooling around with negotiations. This allows us to sift through the free agent pool much faster. If a player will not accept the price tag, then we can move on to the next free agent. This is why so many free agents have come to visit, they already know the price we are willing to pay, they just want to visit the facility and see if they would be willing to take a pay cut if necessary. They come to US, we don't beg them to come here.

We are playing Money Ball and the rest are playing Madden.
We are buying at the right price, the rest are overpaying.
We have a plan, the rest are panicking.

This strategy not only allows our team to WIN, but will also attract free agents who want to WIN. Those are the types of players you want on the team in the first place. This is why Trent Baalke is the best GM in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This article reads as if it were written by a dyslexic 13 year old loaded up on Reese's peanut butter cups and cocaine.

This. You'd think these half-assed sites would at least employ spell check. 50 typos in a one-page article doesn't do much for credibility.
Originally posted by thl408:
Longevity of winning, even if you don't win a Super Bowl, nets more profit than having short term success. Even if the short term success is the pinnacle of success (win the SB). Having a winning tradition that lasts for 7-10 years where every year the team is playoff bound can build a strong fanbase and sell out tickets. The only way to establish and maintain a winning tradition in the salary cap era is to not overspend and skew the team's salary structure into one that is too top heavy. Baalke has it right imo.

Now, there are ways to say "take it or leave it" without sounding like a prick. I trust that Baalke is playing hardball but is doing it in a very polite manner.

As opposed to what? "Take it or leave it a*****e"?

It's probably something like, "This is what we are offering, we can negotiate on X, Y, Z, but everything else is set."

He's hunting for Hobbits, don't fall into the trap.
  • J49er
  • Veteran

Proof that Baalke is full of himself in a way. It was widely reported he put AJ Jenkins name in a envelope the night before the draft and was going to
Take him regardless of who was on the board. If that's not full of himself, then I don't know what is.
Share 49ersWebzone