LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

With the signing of S Craig Dahl, should FS Trenton Robinson move to CB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With the signing of S Craig Dahl, should FS Trenton Robinson move to CB.

::facepalm::
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
I'm actually pretty high on Robinson's ability to play FS and think he should be given the opportunity to compete for the starting role this year.. He's 5-10 by the way (same height as Earl Thomas).. He also has exceptionally long arms and a 35" vertical

im actually high too

no you're not.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I honestly have no idea...today. The draft should reveal a lot though. For now, my best guess is this...

FS: Culliver ___(31/34 - starter if better; Cully moves back to CB)___Spillman___ M.Thomas (cut)
SS: Woodson___Whitner (June 1st cut)___Dahl___Robsinson

CB: (1) Brown (2) Nnamdi (3) Rogers (4) Cox (5) Brock

Side note: It "seems" to me that Baalke wants to get much bigger, stronger and much more physical at the CB position, up at the LOS, as we got pwned in the playoffs. It would not surprise me to see us go more press coverage and start both Culliver and Nnamdi at the two CB positions. This would move Brown to the slot which would be more ideal over Rogers there, no doubt. We certainly need MUCH better coverage S's who ideally, would be more interchangeable. Whitner absolutely got abused in coverage all last year (gave up the most TD's in the game including the playoffs including giving up 2 in the Superbowl alone). I would expect we draft 2 S's and both over 6'1" and with excellent ball-skills, range and speed to actually help our CB's over-the-top and esp. along the sidelines and match up better against the taller TE/WR's in the RZ/EZ. This one issue alone cost us the Superbowl. Period.

how in any scheme does Robinson play or fit in as a SS???
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

He's shorter than Whitner so he's a perfect fit at SS. LOL j/k. No, I don't think it matters at all where you put him at this juncture as Baalke has stated he wants S's who are interchangeable. Hopefully he is and has learned both positions. But to be honest, I know very little about him and his current or future role with us...
He will compete for the open free safety spot. He is not a strong safety but a free. His ability is finding the ball in the air and making plays. He's not real physical but can tackle in open space and plays the ball. I'm looking forward to seeing him get more playing time in preseason.

He's shorter than Whitner so he's a perfect fit at SS. LOL j/k. No, I don't think it matters at all where you put him at this juncture as Baalke has stated he wants S's who are interchangeable. Hopefully he is and has learned both positions. But to be honest, I know very little about him and his current or future role with us...

the only reason i threw this idea in the air, is because of the fact Robinson has good footwork, and we desperately need that at CB when Rogers and other get torched quite often.

the only reason i threw this idea in the air, is because of the fact Robinson has good footwork, and we desperately need that at CB when Rogers and other get torched quite often.

Not a bad idea esp. if he can play the slot!

This makes perfect sense! Robinson and Whitner are nearly identical in size, and Baalke wants interechangeable guys at the two safety positions.

Brilliant!

lol. And we were wondering if Whitner would fit in the new secondary they're building.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

This makes perfect sense! Robinson and Whitner are nearly identical in size, and Baalke wants interechangeable guys at the two safety positions.

Brilliant!

lol. And we were wondering if Whitner would fit in the new secondary they're building.

LOL. OND! One more day and we might have some insight.

Also, shortly after the draft, if we acquire Woodson, we'll know even more. I genuinely think Whitner is hanging by a thread mostly b/c he no longer fits into the Baalke model and he commands such a high salary that clearly didn't match his production last year. We shall see!
another season of Whitner pleases me NOT at all....

Brilliant!

Whitner is a physical safety and Robinson is a twig compared to him, My thoughts more suggest playing Robinson on passing downs as a nickel CB
Whitner is a physical safety and Robinson is a twig compared to him, My thoughts more suggest playing Robinson on passing downs as a nickel CB
You are of course correct. NC and I are ust joking around a little bit about Whitner, who we both see as an issue for the defense.

Don't know if Robinson is gonna play nickel CB or FS against a spread offense. Seems like he would be best suited for either.
You are of course correct. NC and I are ust joking around a little bit about Whitner, who we both see as an issue for the defense.

Don't know if Robinson is gonna play nickel CB or FS against a spread offense. Seems like he would be best suited for either.

I for one love Whitner's vet leadership and big hitting ability, he is also a fantastic tackler, and you need that in a SS. I know his coverage skills are suspect, but we needed to play better from our Corners IMO in the playoffs last season.
Share 49ersWebzone