There are 201 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A interesting trend from the front office

As most of you know the team has a slew of players currently on the roster that are first round picks. If we add Asoumwa and Woodson along with Dorsey that will bring the total to 14 (please correct me if I'm wrong). This seems to be intentional and part of Balkes formula to build this team. Am I the only one that feels this way?
I think they sign players that they feel will be useful and come at a good price; good value players. I doubt Baalke looks up on nfl.com what round they were drafted in before making an offer.
[ Edited by Disp on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
I think they sign players that they feel will be useful and come at a good price; good value players. I doubt Baalke looks up on nfl.com what round they were drafted in before making an offer.

I think they sign players that they feel will be useful and come at a good price. I doubt Baalke looks up on nfl.com what round they were drafted in before making an offer.

I know that however I think that it comes into play coupled with the players are talented but for whatever reason weren't a good fit where they were. That they can play given our team and structure of and don't have red flags.
First round picks have the talents but don't always have the right coaching and encouragement. If they have the talents and the Front Office thinks they can get the talent out of them for the benefit of the team they will pick them up.

Well good useful players generally go in the first round so I guess you are both right.
We usually go for the old ones with diminished abilities.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

Other than Randy Moss who are you talking about?
Don't know if I'd call it a trend, just maybe coincidence. Not to mention, there are a lot of first rounders on this team that have been here prior to Baalke taking charge.
Originally posted by BayArea:

Braylon Edwards and Brandon Jacobs are considered pretty old for their positions.

Braylon Edwards and Brandon Jacobs are considered pretty old for their positions.

Jacobs wasn't a first rounder.

Both guys fell by the wayside pretty fast and weren't really any risk at all.
I stand corrected, with those signings it would bring us to 18 first rounders on the roster!
OP is on to something. Many of our recent free agent signings were former 1st round picks. Rogers, Whitner, Edwards, Moss, Dorsey.

Baalke definitely keeps tabs on former 1st rounders, especially those who didn't quite live up to expectations with their original teams. That allows him to pick up a physically talented player for cheap, and allow our top notch coaching staff to cultivate that talent.

Woodson and Asomugha have been outstanding players in the past, it's just a matter of how much they have left in the tank.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
I still think that the 49er's are playing this waiting game with the Bucs and the Jets.

However, if they wait too long ... they could be without either Woodson or Asomugha which is NO big loss
because they can build through the draft.

It may come to the point where they can wait no longer and have to pull the trigger.

Just my gut feeling or else something would have happened by now.