There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Glenn Dorsey is a better 3-4 DE than McDonald

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Better than Ronald McDonald a million times over, but better than RayMac, not quite and (maybe) not yet. RayMac has improved each year and can improve even more. However, Dorsey is a better signing than a lot of people may think.

He's definitely not much of a drop off from Soap/RJF. I think he'll replace RJF just fine and for a better price. He's definitely going to benefit from being coached by this staff and playing next to J. Smith/RayMac. His potential is unknown for now, but I do believe he will improve and Niners will get much better results than what the KC CHEFS cooked up!

Also, this
KOLOHE: The fact that we're debating and comparing the two is awesome. If we're doing that, then you know Baalke and Paraage did good.

and this
SSF49er: dont be Surprised if the niners takeJOHN JENKINS 6'6'' 358 in the 1st round if Datone Jones is gone -- Jenkins can just stand there with his hands up to interfere with QB's (especially that squirrely munchkin from rivals up north)... this dude's height/weight is no joke! IF Niners can get him and turn him into a stud, that position will be set for many, many years...

Now that Ian got paid and (potentially) fills in for/does better than Soap and Dorsey replaces RJF, the Niners are still in need of a NT and (Depth) players on D-Line that will be effective during rotations or unfortunate injury(s).

IMHO, I believe HarBaalke will get the D-Line back to 2011 status or better! They have to... especially with the way the secondary is looking, as of right now. Dorsey is a nice addition to the D-Line that HarBaalke is still fixing.
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:
The NT talk is surprising and so is the talk of him replacing Ray Mac.

We only asked Soap to play 30% of the snaps last year, so if Dorsey could prove marginally effective at that while rotating with Smith at the RDT spot in our nickle & dime sets, than great. We also have a Ian Williams and potentially a high draft pick at NT if Doresy doesn't look good there. At worst, I see him rotating with Smith at the RDE/RDT spots to make sure Cowboy has enough juice at the end of the season. That will only help Aldon and the pass defense late in the year.

It might also add another year to Justin's career. If not, his replacement will be familiar with the system and already on the roster. Not that you can really replace Cowboy.

Yes, this is about how I think it will go.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Empirically, Glenn Dorsey has had a better career than Ray McDonald since Dorsey came into the league in 2008. This is measured in +EPA per game. Throwing out Dorsey's shortened, awful 2012 season, Dorsey is far better.

with thaat being the case. What, exactly, is the plan?

This is absurd. Ray McDonald is actually one of the better ranked 3-4 DE's in the NFL. Dorsey is up there in terms of stopping the run but he basically finishes dead last among 3-4 DE's when it comes to generating pass-rush. As KC discovered, he's far more effective playing inside.

This.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Empirically, Glenn Dorsey has had a better career than Ray McDonald since Dorsey came into the league in 2008. This is measured in +EPA per game. Throwing out Dorsey's shortened, awful 2012 season, Dorsey is far better.

with thaat being the case. What, exactly, is the plan?

This is absurd. Ray McDonald is actually one of the better ranked 3-4 DE's in the NFL. Dorsey is up there in terms of stopping the run but he basically finishes dead last among 3-4 DE's when it comes to generating pass-rush. As KC discovered, he's far more effective playing inside.

This.

This.