There are 229 users in the forums

Glenn Dorsey is a better 3-4 DE than McDonald

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Thinking either Parys or one of our PS guys will start to rotate in.
If we draft an NT that can play right away, or if Ian Williams steps up in a big way, Dorsey may take RayMac's spot on 1st downs to keep Mac fresh since he's the superior pass rusher
VERY good article on Dorsey!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1567927-exploring-the-fit-between-the-san-francisco-49ers-and-glenn-dorsey?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers
Glenn Dorkey ?
McDonald is a better DE than Dorsey. Dorsey's best position is DT in a 4-3 scheme, playing the 3-technique. Sounds like he'll play some NT for the 49ers....probably 1 gap responsibility?

Agreed. I'm cautiously optimistic about this signing because because of this. If you're playing a 3-4, you need a monster NT. 6-3 350 type to clog the whole middle. I liked Sopoaga because of his size. Dorsey's a bit short and plays at 300 supposedly. I'd take him at 315 with the right kind of weight added. I don't think he should be DE for us. McDonald's very solid IMO, we should draft another NT and DE in the first 4 rounds and really solidify that DL.
Dorsey was considered a can't miss prospect coming out of LSU. He has not turned into the pro-bowl player he was projected to be. Different schemes every year, ton of coaching and executive turn over in KC contributed to that. But he is considered, at worst, one of the best run stoppers at DT and the LBs playing behind him made the pro bowl.

McDonald was not as highly touted coming out, but has blossomed the last two years under a superb coaching staff.

If the roles were reversed I doubt anyone would be saying McDonald is the better player. I think Dorsey will benefit greatly from our coaching staff. He has more talent around him and will be put in a well-established system. He has huge upside. We have seen the best player McDonald can be. I don't think the NFL has seen the best player Dorsey can be. We will with the 49ers.
Originally posted by Overkill:
The NT talk is surprising and so is the talk of him replacing Ray Mac.

We only asked Soap to play 30% of the snaps last year, so if Dorsey could prove marginally effective at that while rotating with Smith at the RDT spot in our nickle & dime sets, than great. We also have a Ian Williams and potentially a high draft pick at NT if Doresy doesn't look good there. At worst, I see him rotating with Smith at the RDE/RDT spots to make sure Cowboy has enough juice at the end of the season. That will only help Aldon and the pass defense late in the year.

It might also add another year to Justin's career. If not, his replacement will be familiar with the system and already on the roster. Not that you can really replace Cowboy.

Maybe they figure he won't be as disruptive as Justin, but at least maybe he can hold blockers just as well. Give Aldon some more space.

Fairly indifferent to the signing. Pretty inconsistent player in his career, hurt a lot. Coming off the bench would as the first guy rotating would make quite a bit of sense. I don't see him as a great NT although he's probably not going to be a terrible one either. More active, but he might be more prone to giving up space when going up against 2 guys.

I guess we'll see.
Originally posted by lordsilva25:
Glenn Dorkey ?

Ken Dorsey
Also, this guy obviously can benefit here if he works with Justin, Ray Mac and Uwe by getting in 49er shape along with the excellent coaching he will receive. We have had several DL cash in recently that weren't necessarily highly regarded. Aubrayo, Soap, and RJF. Dorsey definitely sees an opportunity to get better and I think this is what draws free agents aside from the money. Can a coaching staff make me better and immerse me in a culture of winning and give me an opportunity to do something great?
We got a steal with signing Glenn Dorsey. I wanted him for the Niners when he came out of LSU. With Jim Tomsula coaching him up he'll reach his full potential with us.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by lordsilva25:
Glenn Dorkey ?

Ken Dorsey

Ken Dorsey $ucked donkey. Not to be confused with Glenn Dorsey.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Thinking either Parys or one of our PS guys will start to rotate in.

parys is a mystery, now maybe i missed something but what did we do with him? i think we still own him 3 million? I do not think we have cut him. i did not read he took a pay cut. is that one of those infamous things that is happening behind the scene? i think we will be much better in regards to this issue. even if parys does not come back, we will draft a outside linebacker and we have the two kids we picked last year that were hurt and did not contribute,, i have high hopes for those guys this coming year along with looney the offensive guy with the busted foot and of course jenkins... i have to have high hopes for those guys because the alternative makes me upset in regards to that draft last year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Ken Dorsey $ucked donkey. Not to be confused with Glenn Dorsey.

tommy dorsey and jimmy dorsey were good big band leaders, they were brothers and hated each other but thats a whole other story
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Better than Ronald McDonald a million times over, but better than RayMac, not quite and (maybe) not yet. RayMac has improved each year and can improve even more. However, Dorsey is a better signing than a lot of people may think.

He's definitely not much of a drop off from Soap/RJF. I think he'll replace RJF just fine and for a better price. He's definitely going to benefit from being coached by this staff and playing next to J. Smith/RayMac. His potential is unknown for now, but I do believe he will improve and Niners will get much better results than what the KC CHEFS cooked up!

Also, this
KOLOHE: The fact that we're debating and comparing the two is awesome. If we're doing that, then you know Baalke and Paraage did good.

and this
SSF49er: dont be Surprised if the niners takeJOHN JENKINS 6'6'' 358 in the 1st round if Datone Jones is gone -- Jenkins can just stand there with his hands up to interfere with QB's (especially that squirrely munchkin from rivals up north)... this dude's height/weight is no joke! IF Niners can get him and turn him into a stud, that position will be set for many, many years...

Now that Ian got paid and (potentially) fills in for/does better than Soap and Dorsey replaces RJF, the Niners are still in need of a NT and (Depth) players on D-Line that will be effective during rotations or unfortunate injury(s).

IMHO, I believe HarBaalke will get the D-Line back to 2011 status or better! They have to... especially with the way the secondary is looking, as of right now. Dorsey is a nice addition to the D-Line that HarBaalke is still fixing.
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:
The NT talk is surprising and so is the talk of him replacing Ray Mac.

We only asked Soap to play 30% of the snaps last year, so if Dorsey could prove marginally effective at that while rotating with Smith at the RDT spot in our nickle & dime sets, than great. We also have a Ian Williams and potentially a high draft pick at NT if Doresy doesn't look good there. At worst, I see him rotating with Smith at the RDE/RDT spots to make sure Cowboy has enough juice at the end of the season. That will only help Aldon and the pass defense late in the year.

It might also add another year to Justin's career. If not, his replacement will be familiar with the system and already on the roster. Not that you can really replace Cowboy.

Yes, this is about how I think it will go.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Empirically, Glenn Dorsey has had a better career than Ray McDonald since Dorsey came into the league in 2008. This is measured in +EPA per game. Throwing out Dorsey's shortened, awful 2012 season, Dorsey is far better.

with thaat being the case. What, exactly, is the plan?

This is absurd. Ray McDonald is actually one of the better ranked 3-4 DE's in the NFL. Dorsey is up there in terms of stopping the run but he basically finishes dead last among 3-4 DE's when it comes to generating pass-rush. As KC discovered, he's far more effective playing inside.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone