LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 430 users in the forums

Glenn Dorsey is a better 3-4 DE than McDonald

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Potential is there. Needed this signing with soap and rjf leaving.
I must have missed that memo
Disagree. McDonald is the better DE as he plays the run well and has more ability to pressure the QB.

According to reports, Dorsey will likely be playing NT. He's listed at 297, but I bet he's in the 310-315 range. He's a very good run defender, and as the former 5th overall pick in '08, still has untapped talent. This looks like yet another quality, under the radar signing by Baalke.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM ]
Considering Dorsey has not had Tomsula's coaching applied, I think after everything comes out in the wash we all will say Dorsey is a better talent. Not a huge difference but Dorsey is better I believe. He was drafted 5 for a reason, just sucks that the Chiefs could never mold a defense.
McDonald is a far better player than Dorsey. Hell, RJF is a better player than Dorsey.

That being said, Dorsey is still GOOD. He fills in for both what Soap and RJF were able to do. He takes up a lot of double teams. He's strong and low. He is a perfect pick up to fill in for Soap / RJF and compete with a rookie for playing time.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Considering Dorsey has not had Tomsula's coaching applied, I think after everything comes out in the wash we all will say Dorsey is a better talent. Not a huge difference but Dorsey is better I believe. He was drafted 5 for a reason, just sucks that the Chiefs could never mold a defense.

Better than who? McDonald? It's not even close. McDonald is far better. Where are people getting these idea's from?

Who cares where he was picked in the stupid draft. RJF was picked in the 7th round and will command a higher price than Dorsey. Dorsey is not bad, he fills a role, but he is no where close to McDonald. McDonald is a force against the run and with getting pressure. He might have outplayed Justin Smith last season.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
McDonald is a far better player than Dorsey. Hell, RJF is a better player than Dorsey.

That being said, Dorsey is still GOOD. He fills in for both what Soap and RJF were able to do. He takes up a lot of double teams. He's strong and low. He is a perfect pick up to fill in for Soap / RJF and compete with a rookie for playing time.

Not so sure about that. I haven't watched a lick of Chiefs games, but I think there's a reason we are letting RJF walk. He showed some flashes of great play, but largely he was neutralized. I'm looking forward to see how Dorsey responds on a defense that requires attention on multiple parts. I wouldn't call him better than RJF, but I certainly wouldn't call him worse either. There is a ton of potential waiting to be harnessed.

Dorsey is def better than RJF

Not so sure about that. I haven't watched a lick of Chiefs games, but I think there's a reason we are letting RJF walk. He showed some flashes of great play, but largely he was neutralized. I'm looking forward to see how Dorsey responds on a defense that requires attention on multiple parts. I wouldn't call him better than RJF, but I certainly wouldn't call him worse either. There is a ton of potential waiting to be harnessed.

RJF is a shade better. He is good at everything although unspectacular at anything. He plays with perfect leverage and has natural strength and power has great football instincts, yet also has deceptive athletic ability. Dorsey is more of a mauler. Big and powerful, but less athletic and has less skill.
It's not all about size and strength, although RJF is not too far off from Dorsey with his size and strength. There is a reason teams around the league are after RJF.
We wanted to pay RJF, but he wanted a little too much. Dorsey fills in adequately for a better price.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Money talks.
This is a nice read. Especially the part about his 2011 season being 2nd best among 3-4 defensive ends. The other two, Justin Smith and Ray McDonald. I think we got ourselves a diamond in the rough.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1562159-report-card-grades-for-2013-nfl-free-agent-signings/page/7

Dorsey is also scheme diverse and probably a better DT in a 4-3 than DE in the 3-4, but quite serviceable as you all mentioned in the 5 technique. This is a quality signing and I can't help but think that like last year, we are going to run a lot of 4-3 or nickel, allowing Dorsey to have a lot of snaps. Add Hunt and Brandon Williams in the draft, and our DL will be set for years. The lack of rotation and the injury to Dobbs lost us the superbowl. This has to be fixed.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Money talks.

Being a free agent from a Super Bowl team VS the worst team in the league also talks.

I don't know about that. It goes both ways. The Chiefs have a ton of cap room, yet they can't shell out a little bit more to keep Dorsey with his upside potential?

Look, there is no way in Hell Dorsey is better than McDonald, which is what the thread was about; but it can be argued Dorsey is better than RJF.
IMO, RJF is a little better. I could be wrong, we'll have to wait and see.
Might be more like Abrayo Franklin (his good years).
Gonna have to agree on this one. Tomsula will get him back to his LSU form.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Gonna have to agree on this one. Tomsula will get him back to his LSU form.

He is in his LSU form. The problem is, he's now going up against NFL players, rather than lawyers and engineers.
Share 49ersWebzone