There are 192 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ghost and Fro's attempt at insight, humor, and discussing the 2013 49ers FA Bonanza!

• fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Remember guys, the humor is fine, but this ain't the parking lot. Remember, we discuss the signings as they come in. A little humor is okay, but a lot derails the point.
Will the 49ers only sign FAs to a one year deal to keep cap flexibility to retain their own FAs? If that's the case, they will be shopping in the senior citizen aisle (Seymour, Abraham, Reed).
Originally posted by thl408:
Will the 49ers only sign FAs to a one year deal to keep cap flexibility to retain their own FAs? If that's the case, they will be shopping in the senior citizen aisle (Seymour, Abraham, Reed).

1) yes, 1 year contracts are how Baalke operates.
2) not today, you gotta spend the big bucks to get players today. Not how Baalke operates.

I think they'll do that with some of the released players (e.g., John Abraham or James Harrison) but they can't really do that if they want guys like Sean Smith, LaRon Landry or even an Ed Reed (though he's probably looking at only 2 years, 3 max). Those guys will command multi-year deals, especially in this first wave of free agency, so you can't really get them on the cheap.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM ]
Okay I'll bite. How do you see our secondary shaking out? Do we see some big news or do we stand pat and rebuild through the draft.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Remember guys, the humor is fine, but this ain't the parking lot. Remember, we discuss the signings as they come in. A little humor is okay, but a lot derails the point.

Both of these concepts already exist in other forums. Why are you forcing it in here? If anybody else starts this thread it gets moved.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
1) yes, 1 year contracts are how Baalke operates.
2) not today, you gotta spend the big bucks to get players today. Not how Baalke operates.

1) Manningham signed a 2 year deal. Foresight because Baalke knew he needed that contract off the books by the end of 13-14 to re-sign key FAs. Now that 14-15 is a year away, I agree that he will only be dishing out 1 year deals.

The flip side is that he may sign a CB to a multi year deal with the intention of cuting Carlos Rogers after 13-14.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You get a Tomsula warning for that.

Pic needs more hairy man cleavage.
always good to get GofD's perspective

Who do you see as the best fit for the 49ers out in the FA market right now? That is, we could only sign ONE guy, who should we go after?
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame

I think they'll do that with some of the released players (e.g., John Abraham or James Harrison) but they can't really do that if they want guys like Sean Smith, LaRon Landry or even an Ed Reed (though he's probably looking at only 2 years, 3 max). Those guys will command multi-year deals, especially in this first wave of free agency, so you can't really get them on the cheap.

The thing is Ghost, who do you go after in this situation? Ed Reed reminds me of an early model Humvee, not as pretentious as an H2, but an old gas-guzzling beast of American goodness that has seen its fair share of offroad excitement, but that has had some alignment and drivetrain issues the past couple years vs. the younger offerings of Smith and Landry.

Also, am I wrong in all this, but is it possible that Ed can help us on both sides of the ball? I mean who better to aid in Kaep's abilities to read defenses than Reed?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Okay I'll bite. How do you see our secondary shaking out? Do we see some big news or do we stand pat and rebuild through the draft.

I can definitely see us adding another starter in the secondary through free agency, either a CB or a safety...but I don't think we can or will spend big money on both. They'll either go big on a starting CB and rummage through the free agent dust bin for a 1 year safety (and use the draft to groom someone), or they'll spend on a free agent safety (Reed, Landry, Glover) and use the draft to get someone like Johnthan Banks, Darius Slay, David Amerson, Robert Alford or Terry Hawthorne.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Both of these concepts already exist in other forums. Why are you forcing it in here? If anybody else starts this thread it gets moved.

Happy to discuss this with you in the ask the mods thread.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
always good to get GofD's perspective

Who do you see as the best fit for the 49ers out in the FA market right now? That is, we could only sign ONE guy, who should we go after?

For me, it's got to be a safety (Landry, Delmas, Glover or Reed) then a nickel pass rusher (Abraham, Freeney, Harrison, Osi, etc.). If there's any money left, we can get a veteran NT to backup Williams....Aubrayo Franklin or Casey Hampton come to mind. We can get the rest through the draft, but those would be my free agent priorities.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Happy to discuss this with you in the ask the mods thread.

Answer the question.

The thing is Ghost, who do you go after in this situation? Ed Reed reminds me of an early model Humvee, not as pretentious as an H2, but an old gas-guzzling beast of American goodness that has seen its fair share of offroad excitement, but that has had some alignment and drivetrain issues the past couple years vs. the younger offerings of Smith and Landry.

Also, am I wrong in all this, but is it possible that Ed can help us on both sides of the ball? I mean who better to aid in Kaep's abilities to read defenses than Reed?

If the money is right, I think Ed Reed on a one year deal is the perfect situation, then you draft a young stud safety to learn from him. Reed brings the wisdom and experience on the defensive side of the ball that Anquan brings on the offense....both are real leaders and still quality football players at this stage of their careers. I think both would be the ideal fit to make a Super Bowl run.

But, I'm not sure Reed will take a 1 year deal at this point, knowing there's still a pretty good market for his services. So that's where other guys like Landry, Delmas or Glover come in to play.