There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The new Cold War (re NFC West)

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Beeker:
*Josh Cribbs - but, we don't really need him. LMJ is a dam good returner.

sorry bout the name. he did struggle as a punt return man last year. i understand he will work on that and probably be better but if we could get josh at a cheap price to replace ginn and maybe even kyle, we have a very nice return guy who is respectable at catching a pass. after ginn i would settle for respectable in the pass catching department from my number four or five guy.

Absolutely. If we can get Cribbs on a Veteran minimum contract, heck, why not?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Beeker:
*Josh Cribbs - but, we don't really need him. LMJ is a dam good returner.

we need a punt returner, and overall a true return man that can contribute elsewhere

Ace Sanders come on down

I can live with this, too!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The NFC West is developing into a new Cold War. The two would be super powers are building up their nuclear arsenals and getting ready to battle twice a year. Both organizations are making bold moves and trying to one up the other on a regular basis. I can't wait to see what they do tomorrow and at the draft in 45 days..........BRING IT!

Hawks don't have a first rounder.... LOVE IT
For those wanting to compare:
Boldin career - 10 years
Games - 140 - 14 games/year
Rec - 772 - 77/year
Yds - 10165 - 1016/year
YPG - 72.6 Avg - 13.2
YAC - 5.1
1st downs - 495
TD - 58 - 5.8/year

Percy Harvin career - 4 years
Games - 54 - 13.5 games/year
Rec - 280 - 70/year
Yds - 3302 - 825.5/year
YPG - 61.1 Avg - 11.8
YAC - 6.8
1st downs - 164
TD - 20 - 5/year
ALL 49er bias aside... the Seahawks gave up a 1st, a 7th, and a 4th next year and STILL don't have a true number one wide receiver and by signing Harvin they drop a nuke on their cap situation. While us on the other hand we took a low risk, high reward chance. Even more so if we are able to secure Ed Reed. Getting those guys would address two of our biggest issues 3rd down conversion percentage, and the ability to make plays on the back end of our defense.
I love seabags given up a 1st and I hope Harvin gets a huge contract and eats up thier cap every year. Once wilson gets paid, they may be out of money. Earl Thomas and sherman are gunna demand big time money....
Originally posted by suckafree17:
I love seabags given up a 1st and I hope Harvin gets a huge contract and eats up thier cap every year. Once wilson gets paid, they may be out of money. Earl Thomas and sherman are gunna demand big time money....
lol man sherman is going to want more money than revis got... Scary thought
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I assume the Seacocks are Soviet Russia?

we're the reds....


...crap

The Red Army
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
ALL 49er bias aside... the Seahawks gave up a 1st, a 7th, and a 4th next year and STILL don't have a true number one wide receiver and by signing Harvin they drop a nuke on their cap situation. While us on the other hand we took a low risk, high reward chance. Even more so if we are able to secure Ed Reed. Getting those guys would address two of our biggest issues 3rd down conversion percentage, and the ability to make plays on the back end of our defense.


We're playing Money Ball, everyone else is playing Madden.

They lost a first round pick and two other picks, for the privilege of having a max salary player on their roster. That's the worst combination for leverage.

We're getting a player that was almost as productive, yet only cost a 6th round pick. We can extend him probably a few more years at 5-6 million per year. Even if Harvin is 50% more productive then Boldin he was 800% more expensive when you combine the draft picks and the salary.

Baalke is the Billy Beane of football.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
sorry but we need to figure out a way to beat the rams first

LOL
Originally posted by VANiner:
Percy H. is the epitome of a high risk/high reward acquisition. He already cost them their 1st rounder and will be in line for an $11-12 million salary per year. Boldin is old, but is still a very formidable WR who causes match-up issues as he is stronger than CBs and much faster than LBs. To grab him for a 6th rounder is a steal. If they can work with his contract to cut down on the $6 million, it will be the steal of the off-season. I would have been bummed to give up a 1st + for Harvin (though he would have been intriguing with us). I think Harvin will have his all-star days, but will be a headache for SEA in the end. All in all, I'd say on this day, both teams improved, but we got the value AND the muscle.

Percy Harvin will absolutely bring a lot to their offense. But they gave up a lot and I am wondering what will be the effects on the team? What kind of contract will they have to give him? Are the rumors about him wanting a Calvin Johnson type of deal true? Considering who they have in their front office, I fully expect them to give Harvin some ridiculous offer. Looking at this from Seattle's perspective, I'd rather have Tavon Austin. He will be far cheaper and less of a headache. Minnesota will probably go ahead and add Austin to replace Harvin in the passing game and as a returner.

As it relates to us trading for Boldin, there is nothing to dislike about this trade. We get a complement to Michael Crabtree and teams cannot simply try to lock him down on third down situations. Things are all open for AJ Jenkins and Kyle Williams to tear it up this year with the one on one coverage they will be facing and I expect Vernon Davis to be more involved this season. I only hope that we don't use Boldin in the same way we used Randy Moss and Mario Manningham, where they were constantly subbing each other. Boldin is a guy that can come in and still give us 800 to 1,000 yards.

I think if we resign Delanie Walker, the only immediate needs we will have on offense for the draft will be a TE to eventually replace Walker (I like DW, but we need someone that is a more reliable pass catcher), a tackle to backup Anthony Davis and Joe Staley, a kicker obviously, and maybe a late round receiver with some speed/quickness.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We're playing Money Ball, everyone else is playing Madden.

They lost a first round pick and two other picks, for the privilege of having a max salary player on their roster. That's the worst combination for leverage.

We're getting a player that was almost as productive, yet only cost a 6th round pick. We can extend him probably a few more years at 5-6 million per year. Even if Harvin is 50% more productive then Boldin he was 800% more expensive when you combine the draft picks and the salary.

Baalke is the Billy Beane of football.

You gave me wood.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 12,989
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The NFC West is developing into a new Cold War. The two would be super powers are building up their nuclear arsenals and getting ready to battle twice a year. Both organizations are making bold moves and trying to one up the other on a regular basis. I can't wait to see what they do tomorrow and at the draft in 45 days..........BRING IT!

Let's call it a Hot War, we are not fighting in proxy states after all.
I am not going to try and paint the Harvin/Boldin picture any way than it is. The Cawks got the better player, period. There isn't a world where Boldin offers more to a team than Harvin. However, Boldin was NO risk, he is a solid pass catcher that can take a hit and is physical. The way I see it, in this round, advantage Seahacks, but they didn't get him cheap.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Let's call it a Hot War, we are not fighting in proxy states after all.

Incorrect.

Apple vs Microsoft
Google vs Bing

^ these are the 2ndary theaters...