There are 633 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke made 2 errors this offseason

My ONLY issue with Baalke was letting Costanzo walk because even though he would have paid him the same annual salary that Chicago did, he wouldn't do a 2 year deal. Other than that, no complaints.
this thread is still open?
He also fleeced the Chiefs for 2 picks and got Boldin for a 6th round pick. Baalke is doing OK in my book.........
Originally posted by kap2crab:
My ONLY issue with Baalke was letting Costanzo walk because even though he would have paid him the same annual salary that Chicago did, he wouldn't do a 2 year deal. Other than that, no complaints.

Costanzo didn't have a roster spot. It wasn't about money or years.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He also fleeced the Chiefs for 2 picks and got Boldin for a 6th round pick. Baalke is doing OK in my book.........
Agree, now if we land Ed Reed to replace goldson at a cheaper price and draft a future replacement, and some youth along the dline were in a great in my book. In this day and age with freeagency keeping a team winning isn't easily done. One of the few teams to have done that is the pats, if we win some superbowls and compete for the playoffs every year I be more than happy with Baalke at G.M. I do hope we lock Jim up to a longer contract like for life, 5 years just isn't enough time for me to enjoy having a good head coach finally after the last decade.

2013 wasn't Baalke's finest year. Boldin's trade means there is no confidence in Jenkins. Some FA moves helped somewhat, but hardly crucial.
Originally posted by fastforward:

2013 wasn't Baalke's finest year. Boldin's trade means there is no confidence in Jenkins. Some FA moves helped somewhat, but hardly crucial.

It has nothing to do with the confidence in Jenkins.
Originally posted by Beeker:

If Manningham isn't cut, the depth chart would look like this: Crabtree, Boldin/Manningham, Boldin/Manningham, Jenkins. Rather disappointing for a first-round draft pick, don't you think?

If Manningham isn't cut, the depth chart would look like this: Crabtree, Boldin/Manningham, Boldin/Manningham, Jenkins. Rather disappointing for a first-round draft pick, don't you think?

For me, it depends on how you look at it. Point of view, so to speak. Crabs, Boldin, and Manningham are definitely more experienced than Jenkns, so I would expect them to be ahead of AJ on the depth chart based on that, and not where he was drafted. Everyone keeps ragging on AJ, and it strikes me as really short-sighted. Let's not forget, for the first 3 years as a 49er, Crabs was hated. Everyone called him a bust. Get rid of him. Um, how'd that work out?
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM ]
2011 EVERYONE in the Zone, me included, were exasperated that Trent was staying pat.

THEN he got Akers, Carlos, Whittner, Goodwin - all of who made BIG contributions. Braylon was his only bust FA pick up.

Cap is way different now but Trent is still Trent and I can't wait to see what gems he comes up with.

I'd say goodbye to Manninham and get someone else.
How much of Goldson's success is talent versus scheme? This defense covered quite a few mistakes by the safeties so I don't think Goldson is irreplaceable They can find a better cover guy and not get as many penalties for late hits, hits with his helmet or just because of his reputation...which is scary both ways--puts the receiver on guard, but also the refs. With the league cracking down on jarring blows (new study says concussions can be caused by any significant blow, even to the body) the team may be smart to move away from that type of player.

You don't want an unhappy guy evaluating talent for you. Tom Gamble may or may not be a very good judge of talent but he definitely is replaceable ..or they would have fought to keep him. Can't really criticize this type of move without knowing the inside stories...to which, I will assume, none of us have access.

For me, it depends on how you look at it. Point of view, so to speak. Crabs, Boldin, and Manningham are definitely more experienced than Jenkns, so I would expect them to be ahead of AJ on the depth chart based on that, and not where he was drafted. Everyone keeps ragging on AJ, and it strikes me as really short-sighted. Let's not forget, for the first 3 years as a 49er, Crabs was hated. Everyone called him a bust. Get rid of him. Um, how'd that work out?

Many fans disliked (or more correctly questioned) Crabtree alright, but he started as soon as the signature got dry on the contract.

Jenkins was picked too high. He under-performed all second-round, third-round, and even some fourth-round guys despite starting more games than most of them.

Or it could mean they get one of the best big play receivers in the league for a sixth round pick.
Many fans disliked (or more correctly questioned) Crabtree alright, but he started as soon as the signature got dry on the contract.

Jenkins was picked too high. He under-performed all second-round, third-round, and even some fourth-round guys despite starting more games than most of them.

Can't argue your points. I just think he comes out a LOT better this year.