LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

Baalke made 2 errors this offseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Trust Baalke he has a plan. We might have our FS of the future already on the team. My first guess would be Culliver.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Trust Baalke he has a plan. We might have our FS of the future already on the team. My first guess would be Culliver.

.....culliver is not going to play FS.....
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Mar 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Letting Goldson go and keeping Whitner + a rookie will make us worse and a Super Bowl run much tougher.

Nah. A safety does not make or break a defense. If we restore and upgrade our pass rush, nobody will notice he's gone.

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Nah, the lack of pass rush is what killed us. Virtually no safety in the world could've covered up for the lack of pass rush we exhibited down the stretch.

It was no coincidence that our defense fell apart at the exact moment Justin Smith got injured.

If a QB can step up into a clean pocket or roll out and buy time and throw without pressure, his rate of success is going to increase enormously regardless of who's playing in the secondary. You can only ask guys to cover for so long, and ultimately there's no defending a perfectly thrown ball.

Literally...the exact moment. As soon as he left against the Patriots, you could see the entire defense start to slip. They could have a whole rookie secondary, as long as the DL is upgrade and the pass rush is consistent, they'll be fine. Conversely, you could have a secondary filled with top players and still get beat if your pass rush isn't getting home.

You're going to struggle to beat premium QB's like Tom Brady and Drew Brees just on the strength of your secondary alone. If you give them enough time, they will make plays and will carve your defense up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Literally...the exact moment. As soon as he left against the Patriots, you could see the entire defense start to slip. They could have a whole rookie secondary, as long as the DL is upgrade and the pass rush is consistent, they'll be fine. Conversely, you could have a secondary filled with top players and still get beat if your pass rush isn't getting home.

You're going to struggle to beat premium QB's like Tom Brady and Drew Brees just on the strength of your secondary alone. If you give them enough time, they will make plays and will carve your defense up.
why they chose not to blitz bowman and willis once in a while in the super bowl is beyond me. they better damn well fix that pass rush. i am sure having the ghost of fred dean in there to pass rush helped out the rookie secondary quartet back in 1981. our secondary in the 80's was helped by haley and others. the secondary in 94 would not have been as good had we not signed tim harris to wreck havoc once ken norton broken richard dents leg
Well I'm sure the OP could do much better, the Niners should fire Baalke and hire him (or her).
Fire Baalke, fire harbaugh for letting Goldson get away too
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
since when did it become fashionable for people to get torn to shreds by the wolves of the webzone simple because they point out a mistake they think the front office made?its like being called a racist simply because you disagree with the president. the coach made a big mistake letting the akers thing draw out like it did, costing us two games, when he should have cut him after the first rams loss and signed kaeding. they made another mistake by not using bowman and willis in a way that would help the team in the super bowl, and of course first and goal from the 7 with the best run blocking line in the nfl ,with even little james getting two yards on first down,, speaks for it self. in no way do i think JH should be fired for those but coaches and front office,, no matter how golden they seem to be, should and ought to be held accountable
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Whom would you rather have Dashon Goldson or Aldon Smith/Kaepernick as a long term 49er?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

I wouldn't be so sure. Safety is his most natural position. It's where he played in college. The corner thing has been an experiment. They took a safety and since he had size and speed, they've been seeing if he can play corner.

Originally posted by NinerFan408:

Culliver was a good FS at South Carolina. When SF drafted him he was able to play both, but FS might be his more natural position.
One thing for sure, JH/Baalke won't leave a stone unturned.

Soapoaga, Staley catching passes. DLine people playing in Jumbo packages.

If Cully can play S then they'll figure it out.
I agree with this thread. The dude is right you guys we should have tagged Goldson for this season to being home trophy #6 we're definitely making another run this year for the Super Bowl. Better to have a between pro bowl safety who hits like a truck and knows our cover system over a couple rookies. Plus we could have drafted our rookies to be under study's with Dashon... That all being said After the Super Bowl Goldson made it clear that he didn't want the franchise tag but would play and go along if he were tagged.
11 safeties in the league had more interceptions
7 safeties in the league had more passes defended
36 safeties in the league had more total tackles

Why would you apply a franchise tag to a Safety who is not even close to being the most effective in the league at his position? Just sayin. Can we all take a look at those numbers and think about what being a "pro bowler" actually means?
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Baalke has been great and getting 2 good draft picks for Smith was incredible but he's made 2 mistakes this offseason. The first was letting Tom Gamble leave and take a lateral position with the Eagles. The 2nd was not placing the franchise tag on Goldson. It's fine if he didn't want to give Goldson a longterm commitment but with a team ready for another super bowl run you don't start to go with rookies or players who don't know your system. Should've franchised Goldson and drafted his repacement to learn for a year. Goldson is as good as gone and Baalke let the wrong safety get out of town.
I'm not sure this team will be ready for another superbowl run if things go the way I'm suspecting. We are letting some of our best players go. We were fortunate our run to the superbowl was against lesser opponents, and that's why we got there, but if we just let players go and think we can rebuild from the draft and run the table next year, we are in for a rude awakening. I think our best chance has passed.

You mean they are letting go of ONE of our best players..........

In case you didn't notice, the Niners will still have Kaep, Gore, Crabtree, V. Davis, Willis, Bowman, A. Smith, J. Smith, and the entire offensive line.

And where are you coming up with this run against lesser opponents BS? The NFC West is now one of the best divisions in football and they beat the Packers, Patriots, Saints and Falcons on the road. This is not a "missed window" team.
Share 49ersWebzone