There are 173 users in the forums

Baalke made 2 errors this offseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
With the interest in Sean Smith, if we sign him, I could see the team moving Cully to FS where he would be a beast. Not the hitter that Goldson is of course (Whitner will do that) but the pure ballhawk in centerfield. Draft another CB.

Based on what?
no more madden nonsense please
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Doverai, no proverai.

The funny thing about it - I actually was thinking the same thing right before I replied to his post
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
We thought letting Takeo Spikes go was a mistake too, look how that worked out.

Yeah, I think that by this time, Baalke has earned the benefit of the doubt.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Baalke has been great and getting 2 good draft picks for Smith was incredible but he's made 2 mistakes this offseason. The first was letting Tom Gamble leave and take a lateral position with the Eagles. The 2nd was not placing the franchise tag on Goldson. It's fine if he didn't want to give Goldson a longterm commitment but with a team ready for another super bowl run you don't start to go with rookies or players who don't know your system. Should've franchised Goldson and drafted his repacement to learn for a year. Goldson is as good as gone and Baalke let the wrong safety get out of town.

You might be right about Goldson, but I don't agree with the Tom Gamble move. If you lock down your staff & won't allow them freedom, all that's gonna do is make them quit. Other candidates would also think twice about coming to work for the 49er organization.
The off-season is young, he's got plenty of time to make more "errors".
Letting Goldson go and keeping Whitner + a rookie will make us worse and a Super Bowl run much tougher.
As much as I have enjoyed watching him, we will not miss Dashon Goldson next year if he's not retained. Baalke will make sure that he will be more than adequately replaced.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Letting Goldson go and keeping Whitner + a rookie will make us worse and a Super Bowl run much tougher.

Nah. A safety does not make or break a defense. If we restore and upgrade our pass rush, nobody will notice he's gone.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for JamesGatz83.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Based on what?

Based on the fact that he played FS in college and it is his more natural position.

Check your facts before you write things off as "Madden nonsense".
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Based on what?

I am so tired of the "madden" excuse people use. I am a member of another Niner board, and people use it all the time there too. Funny, dont ever really see this "madden" excuse on other NFL boards.

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Nah. A safety does not make or break a defense. If we restore and upgrade our pass rush, nobody will notice he's gone.

I think we will notice he is gone.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

I think we will notice he is gone.

Well of course we will notice.... But no one will care, if we correct the pass rush.
If he's replaced by someone with better coverage skills, it will be a net gain. The strength of his game is as an enforcer. And, as I keep saying and more and more of you are going to realize as time goes on, the NFL is going to penalize that style of playing out of the game. And, I'm going to have to agree with James Gatz here. Culliver was a safety in college. In fact, he was a safety with good coverage skills. If one of their first three choices is one of the top three corners in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if they move Culliver to safety. His weakness has been finding the ball in the air. That may be because he's used to finding it from the safety position and not while he's tight on a receiver running with him all the way from the line of scrimmage.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.......

Share 49ersWebzone