There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible Replacements for FS

Originally posted by SFrush:
Eric Reid, but we'll sign a vet to compete with him.

I would like this move.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Beeker:
For all of you whining about "can't have 2 rookies in the secondary" .....

See:

San Francisco 49ers Starting Secondary, 1981

Lott, Williamson, Hicks, Wright. Combined ONE year NFL experience.

Have a great day!

Jonathan Banks, Phillip Thomas and Tharold Simon.

That would be awesome.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

See:

Have a great day!

That would be awesome.

but what helped in '81 for those rooks was improving the passrush w/ hacksaw, dean, et al.
Originally posted by Garcia:
If Goldson walks.

Who replaces FS?
Do you guys think we are letting Goldson (potentially) walk because CJ Spillman or Trenton Robinson maybe ready to step up and take the spot?

I don't know much about Robinson but I know Spillman is a special teams G... and he has tremendous speed. Maybe he's going to get a look?
Any info on Robinson (Marvin?) would be welcome.

Do you think we address the position in Draft or FA... and who are the prospects.

How do you like Taylor Mays now? Too bad we lost a hard hitting safety who hates Pete Carroll.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thunderthighs:
How do you like Taylor Mays now? Too bad we lost a hard hitting safety who hates Pete Carroll.
some things are not worth answering
Originally posted by cciowa:
some things are not worth answering

Sense of humor on IR? I do hope the 9ers end up with a brash backend that talks trash and takes no prisoners like our northern lil bro's. Hating Pete Carroll is a plus.
[ Edited by Thunderthighs on Mar 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM ]
Taylor Mayes was a turd.

Reis would be a solid pick-up and if we could get Kerry Rhodes in FA our coaches could do some tweaking and we'd be fine.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

See:

Have a great day!

That would be awesome.

but what helped in '81 for those rooks was improving the passrush w/ hacksaw, dean, et al.

No matter how great our pass-rush was (pre-injury J. Smith), it couldn't help the height mismatch of Tarrell Brown or the flat-footed-bad angles of Carlos Rogers. We need help in the secondary.
No matter how great our pass-rush was (pre-injury J. Smith), it couldn't help the height mismatch of Tarrell Brown or the flat-footed-bad angles of Carlos Rogers. We need help in the secondary.

I think Brown made up for his height with his coverage and ball skills.. He's definitely the most underrated player on our team IMO.. Our best DB
Maybe I'm a little late to the party with this question, but why would the 9ers choose Dahl ( 3 years - 5.2M ) over Huff ( 3 years - 6M )?????

My ONLY guess is that Huff wanted more from the 9ers, but after they signed Dahl and the market dried up, he took less at Baltimore?

Please help me understand this because Huff is the FAR superior FS to Dahl. Based on what Huff got, I can only see this as a failure by our FO.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Maybe I'm a little late to the party with this question, but why would the 9ers choose Dahl ( 3 years - 5.2M ) over Huff ( 3 years - 6M )?????

My ONLY guess is that Huff wanted more from the 9ers, but after they signed Dahl and the market dried up, he took less at Baltimore?

Please help me understand this because Huff is the FAR superior FS to Dahl. Based on what Huff got, I can only see this as a failure by our FO.

go to the dahl thread. i get tired of explaining why they signed dahl and it has nothing to do with the fact they consider him to the be the next goldson. they decided they do not like huff for whatever reason and since thier plan of action has led us to two divisional titles and a super bowl game, i am more than ok. i also think huff is over rated. you make an assumption the niners had a interest. to the best of my knowledge, he was never even called in for a chat
Reid's good...great size, runs well. Also like Phillip Thomas a lot...true ballhawk...came back to have a serious senior season (8 picks, 3 ret for TD's) after breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle. That's a warrior, my friends. I'd be very happy with Reid, Thomas or of course, Cyprien.

Best explained if you read this article :

49ers' draft should yield Goldson's replacement | CSN Bay Area

Don't think Huff will play special team. Not sure if he can play strong safety either.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Best explained if you read this article :

49ers' draft should yield Goldson's replacement | CSN Bay Area

Don't think Huff will play special team. Not sure if he can play strong safety either.

Plus, when the team picks their FS of the future in this year's draft, Dahl may be a better "teacher" for the rookie than Huff would be.
Originally posted by cciowa:

go to the dahl thread. i get tired of explaining why they signed dahl and it has nothing to do with the fact they consider him to the be the next goldson. they decided they do not like huff for whatever reason and since thier plan of action has led us to two divisional titles and a super bowl game, i am more than ok. i also think huff is over rated. you make an assumption the niners had a interest. to the best of my knowledge, he was never even called in for a chat

I understand why they signed Dahl, can play both S spots and will be used mainly as a Special Teamer since he has experience in doing so. Im just a little flabbergasted that Huff thought moving across the country for small money was a preference. Wouldn't staying local for the same money be better? Who knows, but if the niners really weren't interested, I think that's worse than Huff just not wanting to come here. That would be an epic failure. Banking on a rookie to step into the FS role, having Trenton form the smallest tandem in the league or having CJ take the role are much more risky than bringing in Huff and letting him compete for the starting roll while someone else fills the ST need....wouldn't you agree?