LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Possible Replacements for FS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Garce
  • Veteran
If Goldson walks.

Who replaces FS?
Do you guys think we are letting Goldson (potentially) walk because CJ Spillman or Trenton Robinson maybe ready to step up and take the spot?

I don't know much about Robinson but I know Spillman is a special teams G... and he has tremendous speed. Maybe he's going to get a look?
Any info on Robinson (Marvin?) would be welcome.

Do you think we address the position in Draft or FA... and who are the prospects.
I like Trenton Robinson. He has heart for a smaller guy and looks like a ball hawk which will compliment Whitner.CJ Spillman is a special teams stud but idk about his abilities as a safety, I do know he is a crazy good tackler so he should at least have a chance. For FA i would take a look at Reed and Delmas. Reed is still a danger to throw to and Delmas has a similar style to Goldson and is a cheap alternative. For the draft there is a ton of choices. My favorite is either Elam or Cyprien.

Seems like we don't really need Goldson.
He's walking because trent isn't going to make him the highest paid saftey in the league. Eric weedle money isn't coming from us. We have to many core players to sign in the future, AD, Mike L, Colin, Aldon those 4 guys are going to cost a lot of money we need to save some. My thoughts we draft one, and look to sign one cheaper than what goldson was asking for. I'd take any saftey in freeagency Woodson, Reed, Landry, over goldson and for less money, and with that front 7 any saftey should look all pro.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM ]
I think we will resign Goldson. I think Goldson will sign with us at a discount and have a good chance of winning the Super Bowl instead of signing with a lower tier team and having no chance at winning a bowl. Plus, this is a deep draft for safety's I think most team would rather build thru the draft.
I think it was Cam Inman talking about Spillman being a possible replacement that is currently on the roster. Said he hits just as hard as Goldson and has the skillset, but game experience was the big issue.
Ed reed would be only guy we could get without set backs, then draft a safety to groom
Release Whitner + sign Glover Quin and Charles Woodson in FA + draft stud FS = Profit.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Release Whitner + sign Glover Quin and Charles Woodson in FA + draft stud FS = Profit.

Can't release whitner, were going to pay him if he's on or off the team. To much dead cap money he's here for another year.
Spillman has had a handful of plays in certain coverages. More so last year than this year. He can hit and tackle (play the run) but not sure he would be any good in coverage. Doubt him or Robinson is the future. Not a big fan of Robinson but he and Spillman might have a chance to compete for the job if Goldson goes and we take a rookie high. Haven't studied FS in the draft too much because I thought there was no way we wouldn't tag Goldson at 7.5. I can understand not signing him long term but not tagging him I don't get. I guess we are going to start saving money for the future to spend on the young guys like Kap, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, etc.

I have read that Eric Reid might be the most ready to come in but might not have the upside the other guys have. Vaccaro if we trade up would probably be ready to come in. Could Phillip Thomas or Rambo come in from day one? TJ McDonald has his flaws as well; I know most of us want a rangy ballhawk safety; is there one in this draft? I know there are fans of Elam (ss), Cyprien and Swearinger but aren't those guys built more like SS's than FS's? One of those guys could take over for Whitner after next year to save money. Doesn't look like a very good FS class to me. Would have to research more but if we go to the draft I think Reid or Thomas would be our best bet. Could probably trade down from 34 for both... maybe to mid 2nd round. Otherwise, maybe McDonald at 61.

We would save 4.1 mil by cutting Whitner (only 833k in dead money) and I think one of those SS's in the draft would have a better shot at replacing Whitner than one of the picks replacing Goldson. I like Whitner but I wouldn't hate it if we went that route. However, if we replace Whitner with a draft pick for this year not sure we want another rookie back there at FS. I think Whitner will be gone after this year for sure though. Some want to go to FA for FS but I think Moore would want probably 75-80% of what Goldson would want. Not sure it's worth it...Moore is only a year younger. Quinn would probably go for less but if you want a ball hawk the guy only has 5 ints in 4 years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Can't release whitner, were going to pay him if he's on or off the team. To much dead cap money he's here for another year.
We'd save 4.1 million though.

Thought we could dump whitener N his cap hit he's in last yr of his deadline... I wonder how much W.Moore or Q.Glover would be in FA ... I like goldson but he makes so many dump hits N penalties N we can pay everyone 7+mill a yr ..
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Spillman has had a handful of plays in certain coverages. More so last year than this year. He can hit and tackle (play the run) but not sure he would be any good in coverage. Doubt him or Robinson is the future. Not a big fan of Robinson but he and Spillman might have a chance to compete for the job if Goldson goes and we take a rookie high. Haven't studied FS in the draft too much because I thought there was no way we wouldn't tag Goldson at 7.5. I can understand not signing him long term but not tagging him I don't get. I guess we are going to start saving money for the future to spend on the young guys like Kap, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, etc.

I have read that Eric Reid might be the most ready to come in but might not have the upside the other guys have. Vaccaro if we trade up would probably be ready to come in. Could Phillip Thomas or Rambo come in from day one? TJ McDonald has his flaws as well; I know most of us want a rangy ballhawk safety; is there one in this draft? I know there are fans of Elam (ss), Cyprien and Swearinger but aren't those guys built more like SS's than FS's? One of those guys could take over for Whitner after next year to save money. Doesn't look like a very good FS class to me. Would have to research more but if we go to the draft I think Reid or Thomas would be our best bet. Could probably trade down from 34 for both... maybe to mid 2nd round. Otherwise, maybe McDonald at 61.

We would save 4.1 mil by cutting Whitner (only 833k in dead money) and I think one of those SS's in the draft would have a better shot at replacing Whitner than one of the picks replacing Goldson. I like Whitner but I wouldn't hate it if we went that route. However, if we replace Whitner with a draft pick for this year not sure we want another rookie back there at FS. I think Whitner will be gone after this year for sure though. Some want to go to FA for FS but I think Moore would want probably 75-80% of what Goldson would want. Not sure it's worth it...Moore is only a year younger. Quinn would probably go for less but if you want a ball hawk the guy only has 5 ints in 4 years.

Phillip Thomas is the best option for us with our selections. I like his rang and he creates a lot of turnovers. Led the nation!

Were not going to cut whitner we didn't tag goldson that would be the only possible way. Losing your entire back half in the same year not a good idea. Whitner sucks in coverage but he's amazing against the run and getting everyone in the right spot and doesn't cost of 15 yards a game for a late hit and isn't going to want 8 million a year like goldson thinks he's worth. Any free agent we pick up will cost more plus we take a hit on the cap and a increase in salary, and we'd also still be left to fill the hole at free saftey....
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

it's NOT gonna happen. i have no idea why so many posters are thinking this.
lol wtf. Hey guys let's release our SS who started in the Pro Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone