LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Possible Replacements for FS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Release Whitner + sign Glover Quin and Charles Woodson in FA + draft stud FS = Profit.

Can't release whitner, were going to pay him if he's on or off the team. To much dead cap money he's here for another year.
We'd save 4.1 million though.

it's NOT gonna happen. i have no idea why so many posters are thinking this.
Have to agree, Won't happen. We'd be short two safties. These are the same fans that think were going to pay goldson 9+ million a season to resign him.
Release Whitner + sign Glover Quin and Charles Woodson in FA + draft stud FS = Profit.

Can't release whitner, were going to pay him if he's on or off the team. To much dead cap money he's here for another year.
Were not going to cut whitner we didn't tag goldson that would be the only possible way. Losing your entire back half in the same year not a good idea. Whitner sucks in coverage but he's amazing against the run and getting everyone in the right spot and doesn't cost of 15 yards a game for a late hit and isn't going to want 8 million a year like goldson thinks he's worth. Any free agent we pick up will cost more plus we take a hit on the cap and a increase in salary, and we'd also still be left to fill the hole at free saftey....

I'd say sucking at coverage is a pretty big deal in today's NFL. I would rather take the cap hit and pay someone else 5 million who can actually cover. 5 million is too much for a glorified Michael Lewis.

It's the offseason where hope springs eternal. I never said anywhere that I thought it would happen or even that there was a small chance of it happening.

This is what I would like to see happen, not what I think will happen.

Have to agree, Won't happen. We'd be short two safties. These are the same fans that think were going to pay goldson 9+ million a season to resign him.
I never said that anywhere in this thread nor would I advocate paying Goldson that much money.

And no s**t we'd be short two safeties. I'm not an idiot even if you might like to think that people who don't share your opinion are idiots. Hence why I signed TWO safeties in my HYPOTHETICAL scenario.
I pray to God we do not try to use Trenton Robinson at FS. He is a nightmare in a horrific way. I do not want to see him out there getting trucked, missing tackles, and getting the ball thrown and caught right over his head. Solid special teamer, but nowhere near starter-worthy.

Were not going to cut whitner we didn't tag goldson that would be the only possible way. Losing your entire back half in the same year not a good idea. Whitner sucks in coverage but he's amazing against the run and getting everyone in the right spot and doesn't cost of 15 yards a game for a late hit and isn't going to want 8 million a year like goldson thinks he's worth. Any free agent we pick up will cost more plus we take a hit on the cap and a increase in salary, and we'd also still be left to fill the hole at free saftey....

I'd say sucking at coverage is a pretty big deal in today's NFL. I would rather take the cap hit and pay someone else 5 million who can actually cover. 5 million is too much for a glorified Michael Lewis.
Will pay more. Goldson is going to set the bar high for safties pay doubtful we get a guy under 6 million. Besides when we signed whitner we already new he was a glorified michael lewis.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
Bring in reed as a stop gap, and draft two safetys for the future.

Will pay more. Goldson is going to set the bar high for safties pay doubtful we get a guy under 6 million.
We'll see. I just don't know if there's enough money to go around for everyone to get the kind of money they want. Sure the top flight guys will get their money but there are a lot of midrange guys out there in the safety class who can be had for more reasonable amounts.

I'm not saying cut Whitner tomorrow, but if we can sign another guy who can be an upgrade over him, the cap hit wouldn't be so unbearable. It'd be less than a million. Cutting Rogers on the other hand wouldn't make any sense.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
lol wtf. Hey guys let's release our SS who started in the Pro Bowl.

I'm not impressed by Pro Bowls. I hate Sherman more than anyone in the league, but his season should have put him in the Pro Bowl. Everyone (ayers, coaches, and fans) hates him, so he doesn't get voted in. PB is a popularity contest. The chickens started Thomas and Chancelor together as rookies, and that worked out pretty well for them. I wouldn't guess that they have a better coaching staff than us.
We'll see. I just don't know if there's enough money to go around for everyone to get the kind of money they want. Sure the top flight guys will get their money but there are a lot of midrange guys out there in the safety class who can be had for more reasonable amounts.

I'm not saying cut Whitner tomorrow, but if we can sign another guy who can be an upgrade over him, the cap hit wouldn't be so unbearable. It'd be less than a million. Cutting Rogers on the other hand wouldn't make any sense.

The only reason to cut Rogers now is to avoid the cap hit in 2014, which could be negated by carrying surplus cap space over from this year.

Whitner + Rookie......

Not good. This team is going to take a step back next year. We are grossely underrating Goldson's impact and will regret it IMO.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Whitner + Rookie......

Not good. This team is going to take a step back next year. We are grossely underrating Goldson's impact and will regret it IMO.

Defense probably does but I assume we are counting on our offense to get better and more explosive. It's not like with Alex... we aren't counting on the defense and playing it safe on offense. We will be more explosive, score more points but unfortunately our defense will probably give up more and will probably be on the field more. We just have to get Fangio to start rotating our players more. Might have to get use to those 34-31, 35-28 games like in the playoffs. Especially when playing the good teams.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Whitner + Rookie......

Defense probably does but I assume we are counting on our offense to get better and more explosive. It's not like with Alex... we aren't counting on the defense and playing it safe on offense. We will be more explosive, score more points but unfortunately our defense will probably give up more and will probably be on the field more. We just have to get Fangio to start rotating our players more. Might have to get use to those 34-31, 35-28 games like in the playoffs. Especially when playing the good teams.

Teams that are built like that are like the Packers and they can't get far in the playoffs anymore because their defense got older and worse and lost some guys over the years. Age, injury, FA, retirement, bad drafting. All the above. But they are worse than the Super Bowl winning Packers.
Teams that are built like that are like the Packers and they can't get far in the playoffs anymore because their defense got older and worse and lost some guys over the years. Age, injury, FA, retirement, bad drafting. All the above. But they are worse than the Super Bowl winning Packers.

We are much younger on defense than they are though. They haven't hit in the draft as much as we have recently. Of course we want to keep the defense playing at a high level but it probably won't be like 2011. That was a rare thing to see. The Patriots and Steelers among others also come to mind... get your system in place... next coach/player up. Re-sign only the best FAs at a reasonable price, get comp picks, work the draft, don't go out in free agency and overspend... get a few budget guys here and there.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

We are much younger on defense than they are though. They haven't hit in the draft as much as we have recently. Of course we want to keep the defense playing at a high level but it probably won't be like 2011. That was a rare thing to see. The Patriots and Steelers among others also come to mind... get your system in place... next coach/player up. Re-sign only the best FAs at a reasonable price, get comp picks, work the draft, don't go out in free agency and overspend... get a few budget guys here and there.

I still think with trading Alex plus cutting Akers and letting Sopoaga, Moss, Jacobs go there should be enough money to sign Goldson plus our draft class. We should do this. I can't belive a rookie will play as well as Goldson.
Share 49ersWebzone