LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Possible Replacements for FS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I still think with trading Alex plus cutting Akers and letting Sopoaga, Moss, Jacobs go there should be enough money to sign Goldson plus our draft class. We should do this. I can't belive a rookie will play as well as Goldson.

I agree, I don't see the purpose of not at least tagging Goldson for 7.5 mil. Smith plus Akers put us at 13.5 or so... ab said we need like 5-6.5 for draft so that's like 7ish, which means Goldson would have ate all our cap so no other FAs could sign. We would have to look into restructuring/cutting Goodwin/Haralson... it could easily be done. I agree his loss will be bigger than most think. The only thing I can think of is we are saving up to re-sign Kap, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, etc... maybe Brown and Justin. We are looking towards the future. It will be tough to replace Goldson; very few rookie safeties have come in and played at a high level... it's a position that takes time. Like I said I guess we are expecting our offense to put up more points and our pass rush to be better (hopefully due to rotating and better depth). P.S. The part that sucks even worse is with how much FAs are getting paid Iupati, Davis, Aldon, etc will want record deals and we probably won't be able to keep them all. I think the nfl is changing and teams will have to start learning how to build and reload through the draft. Until teams stop relying on FA and overpaying guys the prices will keep going up and there will be record deals left and right. The average FA is making what an elite FA made even 5-10 years ago. How many work out? 1/25? More of the budget low priced guys work out.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Paraag said it's flat out impossible to keep this Niner defense together. too much talent, not enough money. Goldson is the first example of this reality.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I still think with trading Alex plus cutting Akers and letting Sopoaga, Moss, Jacobs go there should be enough money to sign Goldson plus our draft class. We should do this. I can't belive a rookie will play as well as Goldson.

I agree, I don't see the purpose of not at least tagging Goldson for 7.5 mil. Smith plus Akers put us at 13.5 or so... ab said we need like 5-6.5 for draft so that's like 7ish, which means Goldson would have ate all our cap so no other FAs could sign. We would have to look into restructuring/cutting Goodwin/Haralson... it could easily be done. I agree his loss will be bigger than most think. The only thing I can think of is we are saving up to re-sign Kap, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, etc... maybe Brown and Justin. We are looking towards the future. It will be tough to replace Goldson; very few rookie safeties have come in and played at a high level... it's a position that takes time. Like I said I guess we are expecting our offense to put up more points and our pass rush to be better (hopefully due to rotating and better depth). P.S. The part that sucks even worse is with how much FAs are getting paid Iupati, Davis, Aldon, etc will want record deals and we probably won't be able to keep them all. I think the nfl is changing and teams will have to start learning how to build and reload through the draft. Until teams stop relying on FA and overpaying guys the prices will keep going up and there will be record deals left and right. The average FA is making what an elite FA made even 5-10 years ago. How many work out? 1/25? More of the budget low priced guys work out.

If we are 13.5 under we can cut a few more guys. Parys Harrlson gives you 3 more. Now you have 16.5. Restructure a few deals. Front load. Back load. We can probably realistically get to 20 million. We can't afford Goldson 7.5 + our draft class. Of course we aren't keeping all 15 picks. Trade up and down and some picks trade for next year. Now way we can fit them all on the roster anyway. The whole thing is just crazy IMO.

To those saying we can't continue with this much on defense. Justin Smith is getting older and it's his last year. Carlos Rogers has some amount back loaded on his contract and will never earn it all. Minus Justin Smith and minus Carlos Rogers opens up a lot of cap room in say 2014. I don't think our cap is as bad as it seems. I'd rather keep Goldson longer term than those. Because Justin is getting older and Carlos has dropped off.
Some free agent possibilities:

Ed Reed - BAL
Glover Quin - HOU
Louis Delmas - DET
Madieu Williams - WAS
Ronde Barber - TB
Gerald Sensabaugh - DAL
Chris Clemons - MIA
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Ed Reed - BAL
Glover Quin - HOU
Louis Delmas - DET
Madieu Williams - WAS
Ronde Barber - TB
Gerald Sensabaugh - DAL
Chris Clemons - MIA

Ed Reed - BAL
Glover Quin - HOU
Louis Delmas - DET
Madieu Williams - WAS
Ronde Barber - TB
Gerald Sensabaugh - DAL
Chris Clemons - MIA

Reed is the one i would target if the price is right on a short 2 year deal.

Bring him in and groom a couple of safetys to take over for him and Whittner when the time is right.

He knows we are a contender, and he played for brother harbaugh, so im sure he could be enticed for a fair deal.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Ed Reed - BAL
Glover Quin - HOU
Louis Delmas - DET
Madieu Williams - WAS
Ronde Barber - TB
Gerald Sensabaugh - DAL
Chris Clemons - MIA

Believe it or not, Williams was a 16 game starter last season. He didn't embarrass himself either. But I agree, ideally we need to get a better player than him.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Reed is the one i would target if the price is right on a short 2 year deal.

Bring him in and groom a couple of safetys to take over for him and Whittner when the time is right.

He knows we are a contender, and he played for brother harbaugh, so im sure he could be enticed for a fair deal.

That would be ideal. I have a hard time seeing Reed leave Baltimore tho. I think they find a way to bring him back.

Glover Quin is an interesting name. He's still young and he's durable, which is key for me. He started on a top defense, and has playoff experience. He also won't command nearly as much $$ as Goldson.

Whether it's Goldson, a FA, or a draftee, I'm confident we'll land a good player.
Originally posted by boast:
Paraag said it's flat out impossible to keep this Niner defense together. too much talent, not enough money. Goldson is the first example of this reality.

He also said if they all take a homie discount of 15% even than we couldn't keep all these guys. As much as i like goldson we can't afford to keep him and all the guys coming up for contract if i had to pick one to leave to keep boman, aldon, mike and AD it be goldson. To keep being a good team you have to draft well and hit on picks and coach players up, that's what will just have to do find a young guy to fill the hole. Or find a old cheap vet who can get it done why the rookie get's it togather. I'd like to see Ed, or Woodson on the team next season with a rookie backing, really we need to draft 2 safties because next year will have this talk about whitner too.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

this.

and it seems like free agency isn't much of an option either... the draft replacement is most likely.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

This...and it's easier to replace a safety than other positions on defense. We will be all right.
How much would Ed Reed cost
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
How much would Ed Reed cost

I'm sure he's asking for top $ unless for Baltimore and hometown discount.
If we are 13.5 under we can cut a few more guys. Parys Harrlson gives you 3 more. Now you have 16.5. Restructure a few deals. Front load. Back load. We can probably realistically get to 20 million. We can't afford Goldson 7.5 + our draft class. Of course we aren't keeping all 15 picks. Trade up and down and some picks trade for next year. Now way we can fit them all on the roster anyway. The whole thing is just crazy IMO.

To those saying we can't continue with this much on defense. Justin Smith is getting older and it's his last year. Carlos Rogers has some amount back loaded on his contract and will never earn it all. Minus Justin Smith and minus Carlos Rogers opens up a lot of cap room in say 2014. I don't think our cap is as bad as it seems. I'd rather keep Goldson longer term than those. Because Justin is getting older and Carlos has dropped off.

Smith (if he retires) and Rogers opens up a lot of cap room in two years, but not enough. We still need more. A LOT more.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Smith (if he retires) and Rogers opens up a lot of cap room in two years, but not enough. We still need more. A LOT more.

Maybe. But I think we could handle Goldson for 3 more years guaranteed and 2 back end option years (5 total). That makes sense to me where this team is at right now.
Share 49ersWebzone