There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Originally posted by Team49ers:
Whatever happens, in HarBaalke i trust.

This is Baalke time to shine. Good job!!!!
If the 49ers really want Revis, why not just wait a season and sign him as a free agent without giving up ANYTHING? Eitherway he'll need to be signed and he cannot be franchised, per his contract.
Screw Revis....we don't need a headache that will cost us any of our Top 100 picks...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If the 49ers really want Revis, why not just wait a season and sign him as a free agent without giving up ANYTHING? Eitherway he'll need to be signed and he cannot be franchised, per his contract.

...because with Revis - our defense will be a LOT better and that gives up a great chance to make it back to the SuperBowl and win it.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

...because with Revis - our defense will be a LOT better and that gives up a great chance to make it back to the SuperBowl and win it.

yes if we trade for revis just for a 1 year rental it means we going all in in trying to win 6 next season, maybe for one of our seconds or 1st but not multiple for a rental.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

yes if we trade for revis just for a 1 year rental it means we going all in in trying to win 6 next season, maybe for one of our seconds or 1st but not multiple for a rental.

Revis will be playing for a contract if he stays with us or not. It is not a bad trade for a proven player
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
They can probably just sit there at 31 and 34 and get a top safety AND a top defensive tackle in those spots, both of whom can step right in to starting or rotational spots.

RIGHT ON.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't know, I still call BS. It just doesn't match with how we've conducted business in the Harbaalke era. Trading a 1st or 2nd round pick for a single year of Revis is not good value, and Baalke is all about value. Unless the Jets are willing to trade him for a 3rd or a 4th, a 1-year rental just doesn't make sense.

I would do it for a 3rd in a heartbeat. It's unrealistic, but i would. Even for one year, that's exceptional value. there's not many 3rd round players that make it all pro or probowls. Even though Revis is coming off a huge injury, a 3rd is great value.

Revis is untradable. There's no way the Jets let him go for less than a first-round pick, Their fan base would go absolutely crazy for giving up anything less for a future Hall of Famer. And there's no way that another team use a first-round pick if they can't get a long-term contract done. So Revis dictates the trade because if he does not agree to a contract no one's going to take him and he'll take his chances on himself and hit free agency next year. The only way we would get him is if we paid him the 16 Mil a season he wants.

I dont think they give a damn what their fan base would do if they traded Revis.

They absolutely do care what their Fanbase thinks. he's the best player on their team and they buy the tickets. Fanbase aside they would probably get as good a pick in Compensatory in the following year. They're not going to trade him for less then a first.
I suppose it makes some sense as a $6 million 1-year thing to try to go all in for the Super Bowl next year. They could draft a cover safety and some defensive linemen and their defense would be pretty awesome. If Revis is on his game and really shutting down half the field as he has in the past, Fangio would have the freedom to get a little more aggressive with his blitzes. And, you'd like to see the Niners get back to the big game as soon as possible before Frank Gore and Justin Smith run out of gas. If Kaepernick were to stay healthy and progress as most of us think he will, the Niners would be the team to beat in the NFL.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Revis will be playing for a contract if he stays with us or not. It is not a bad trade for a proven player

yea im down with it, but not for a 1st and second or 2 seconds, np giving up 1st or 2nd alone though.

But, we get the opportunity to sign him long term as well. We should do that in the summer of 2013. Sign a contract that gives us out in March 2014 if he doesn't return to being top 3 best defensive player in the NFL. If he is back to the Revis we all know - pay him around 12M a year over the next 3-4 years.
They can probably just sit there at 31 and 34 and get a top safety AND a top defensive tackle in those spots, both of whom can step right in to starting or rotational spots.

RIGHT ON.

I don't know, I still call BS. It just doesn't match with how we've conducted business in the Harbaalke era. Trading a 1st or 2nd round pick for a single year of Revis is not good value, and Baalke is all about value. Unless the Jets are willing to trade him for a 3rd or a 4th, a 1-year rental just doesn't make sense.

I would do it for a 3rd in a heartbeat. It's unrealistic, but i would. Even for one year, that's exceptional value. there's not many 3rd round players that make it all pro or probowls. Even though Revis is coming off a huge injury, a 3rd is great value.

Revis is untradable. There's no way the Jets let him go for less than a first-round pick, Their fan base would go absolutely crazy for giving up anything less for a future Hall of Famer. And there's no way that another team use a first-round pick if they can't get a long-term contract done. So Revis dictates the trade because if he does not agree to a contract no one's going to take him and he'll take his chances on himself and hit free agency next year. The only way we would get him is if we paid him the 16 Mil a season he wants.

I dont think they give a damn what their fan base would do if they traded Revis.

They absolutely do care what their Fanbase thinks. he's the best player on their team and they buy the tickets. Fanbase aside they would probably get as good a pick in Compensatory in the following year. They're not going to trade him for less then a first.

They might not trade him for less than a first but it will not have anything to do with how their fans would feel about it.
If they let him go in free agency then most likely they would get a 3rd round (the highest given) comp pick. If they give him up for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now it would be a higher pick.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

yea im down with it, but not for a 1st and second or 2 seconds, np giving up 1st or 2nd alone though.

yeah thats way too much, maybe a 3rd rounder and a 2014 2nd or 3rd ?
I see a lot of people are concerned with this "1 year rental" notion. Try to alter your thoughts and think about a 1 year audition. You know once he gets here and is part of a winning team, he will be happy, if he performs at a high level, who better to be in position to sign him to a long term deal...if he doesn't, there are no obligations beyond that one year commitment. I like the idea, with our second pick and a late pick or two, just not unloading the house.

RIGHT ON.

They might not trade him for less than a first but it will not have anything to do with how their fans would feel about it.
If they let him go in free agency then most likely they would get a 3rd round (the highest given) comp pick. If they give him up for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now it would be a higher pick.

didnt they just released a few players, they are going to need picks
I suppose it makes some sense as a $6 million 1-year thing to try to go all in for the Super Bowl next year. They could draft a cover safety and some defensive linemen and their defense would be pretty awesome. If Revis is on his game and really shutting down half the field as he has in the past, Fangio would have the freedom to get a little more aggressive with his blitzes. And, you'd like to see the Niners get back to the big game as soon as possible before Frank Gore and Justin Smith run out of gas. If Kaepernick were to stay healthy and progress as most of us think he will, the Niners would be the team to beat in the NFL.

But if you don't win...and history says its a hell of a challenge..........then Revis leaves after a year, you're out a draft pick that could have otherwise been a long-term productive player and you're basically stuck holding the bag.

I like the draft approach, build your team at an affordable price, manage the cap wisely, continually add depth...etc. Mega free agent acquisitions seldom turn out to be what people expected. With Revis coming off a major injury, there's no guarantee that he returns to being the same player that he was, it would suck to overpay for Revis to see that he's dropped off quite a bit.

In B4 "Adrian Peterson is better after tearing up his knee...blah..blah....blah."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]