There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,332
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DVDA:
He's worth a one year rental if the price is right. The 49ers wouldn't lose much by trading their original 2nd or one of the 3rds and some late round scraps for him. After the one year rental, Revis signs a huge deal with someone else and the 49ers get a 2nd or 3rd round comp. pick. This is the only way I see Baalke trading for him. The 49ers are smart enough to avoid paying a defensive player 16 million per year, so there is no way they trade for him as a long term solution.
Give up a 2nd rounder for a one-year rental in a draft where most of the talent is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? Basically they could be foregoing a potential long-term starter at CB, NT, WR or another position for a guy coming off a major injury, one that is potentially more severe for a cornerback, with no guarantee of him performing at a high level, only to see him walk off into the sunset at the end of the season. It'd be one thing if he was not coming off the ACL tear and had just played well, but you're taking a huge risk, even if he passes all medical tests, there's a risk that he simply doesn't perform as might be expected.


Screw that.

Either your reading skills are lacking or you're too busy ignoring the rest of the post because you only see what you want to see. When he leaves the 49ers after one year the 49ers get a comp. pick for him. That means they would get the best corner in football in a contract year and they get a pick in the next draft. To simplify this for you:

49ers get:
Revis
2014 comp pick in 2nd or 3rd round

49ers lose:
2013 2nd or 3rd round pick
2013 late round picks

Now does this make sense to you?
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DVDA:
He's worth a one year rental if the price is right. The 49ers wouldn't lose much by trading their original 2nd or one of the 3rds and some late round scraps for him. After the one year rental, Revis signs a huge deal with someone else and the 49ers get a 2nd or 3rd round comp. pick. This is the only way I see Baalke trading for him. The 49ers are smart enough to avoid paying a defensive player 16 million per year, so there is no way they trade for him as a long term solution.
Give up a 2nd rounder for a one-year rental in a draft where most of the talent is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? Basically they could be foregoing a potential long-term starter at CB, NT, WR or another position for a guy coming off a major injury, one that is potentially more severe for a cornerback, with no guarantee of him performing at a high level, only to see him walk off into the sunset at the end of the season. It'd be one thing if he was not coming off the ACL tear and had just played well, but you're taking a huge risk, even if he passes all medical tests, there's a risk that he simply doesn't perform as might be expected.


Screw that.

Either your reading skills are lacking or you're too busy ignoring the rest of the post because you only see what you want to see. When he leaves the 49ers after one year the 49ers get a comp. pick for him. That means they would get the best corner in football in a contract year and they get a pick in the next draft. To simplify this for you:

49ers get:
Revis
2014 comp pick in 2nd or 3rd round

49ers lose:
2013 2nd or 3rd round pick
2013 late round picks

Now does this make sense to you?

Are there any 2nd round comp picks? I thought they go up to 3rds . But overall, it wouldn't be an awful trade, but the injury is still a big ?.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DVDA:
He's worth a one year rental if the price is right. The 49ers wouldn't lose much by trading their original 2nd or one of the 3rds and some late round scraps for him. After the one year rental, Revis signs a huge deal with someone else and the 49ers get a 2nd or 3rd round comp. pick. This is the only way I see Baalke trading for him. The 49ers are smart enough to avoid paying a defensive player 16 million per year, so there is no way they trade for him as a long term solution.
Give up a 2nd rounder for a one-year rental in a draft where most of the talent is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? Basically they could be foregoing a potential long-term starter at CB, NT, WR or another position for a guy coming off a major injury, one that is potentially more severe for a cornerback, with no guarantee of him performing at a high level, only to see him walk off into the sunset at the end of the season. It'd be one thing if he was not coming off the ACL tear and had just played well, but you're taking a huge risk, even if he passes all medical tests, there's a risk that he simply doesn't perform as might be expected.


Screw that.

Either your reading skills are lacking or you're too busy ignoring the rest of the post because you only see what you want to see. When he leaves the 49ers after one year the 49ers get a comp. pick for him. That means they would get the best corner in football in a contract year and they get a pick in the next draft. To simplify this for you:

49ers get:
Revis
2014 comp pick in 2nd or 3rd round

49ers lose:
2013 2nd or 3rd round pick
2013 late round picks

Now does this make sense to you?

Are there any 2nd round comp picks? I thought they go up to 3rds . But overall, it wouldn't be an awful trade, but the injury is still a big ?.

Correct...there are no 2nd round comp picks. 3rd is the highest and they are at the very end of the round.

Moreover, if you sign a free agent, you offset what you lost.

There is no guarantee of even a 3rd round pick.
Unlike most here, I'm definitely in favor of trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 1y rental of Revis. Not sure if he's our Deion of 94, but he could put us over the top nonetheless.

I think we need to be in win now mode...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Unlike most here, I'm definitely in favor of trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 1y rental of Revis. Not sure if he's our Deion of 94, but he could put us over the top nonetheless.

I think we need to be in win now mode...

If that's all he costs, I agree. I guess it's just hard for me to imagine that this is all he would cost.
Could Carlos Rogers play safety? He is good in run support and covers better than Goldson. (sort of)
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Unlike most here, I'm definitely in favor of trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 1y rental of Revis. Not sure if he's our Deion of 94, but he could put us over the top nonetheless.

I think we need to be in win now mode...


The one year rental is OK in theory, but there are too many problems with it.

1) I've heard that Revis doesn't want to be a one year rental. He wants a big contract, wherever he finds it. He's looking for bling, not a ring.
2) Revis is coming off a major injury, an injury where there is ZERO guarantee that he will be the same player, especially within the next season. Adrian Peterson doesn't guarantee anything about Revis.
3) Revis, and the whole team will know that he is a one-year "rental", and that might create some odd team chemistry at best, while hurting team chemistry at worst.
4) Historically, CB's don't bring championships, unless their name is Deion Sanders (who was a once-in-a-life-time talent, which Revis is not).
Nooo!!!!! I don't want Revis!!!
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Unlike most here, I'm definitely in favor of trading a 2nd or 3rd for a 1y rental of Revis. Not sure if he's our Deion of 94, but he could put us over the top nonetheless.

I think we need to be in win now mode...


Agreed.

Everyone seems to be echoing "build for the future" through the draft, but the future is NOW. This team is on par with the dquads of the early 90s. Teams that were on the cusp of winning it all. We were a few "Flacco throws it up for grabs" plays away from a SB, and a guy like Revis can help shutdown teams that have great QBs and WRs.

Im willing to give up a couple draft picks just to see how it all plays out. The good thing here is that we're not commited to him, so this is not a Nate Clements type deal. Trade for him and go for the ring. If it works, great. We can worry about signing him/ letting him go next offseason. But at least we'll have a ring.

If it doesnt work, so what ? It was a one year risk and it didnt pan out. We let him go.

I just dont see the downside in all this. Especially since it seems now that Goldson is expendable as he's expected to hit FA.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Give em a 6th and next year's 7th. Not that we'll need em anyway.

I can live with this.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/revis-49ers-conflicting-reports

"Just one day later, those people paid to know things went public with conflicting reports.

One report, citing "a team source," said the 49ers' interest in Revis is ".001 on a scale of 1-10."

Another report, coming from New York and citing "sources," indicates the 49ers are "interested in trading for Revis sooner rather than later."

The two reports were published within 12 hours of each other."


Has anyone addressed or talked about this second report that is bolded? I just noticed it.
I think they are waiting till the 12th getting the picks from the chiefs and then will trade for Revis.....there is so many stories I have a hard time thinking there is no truth to the rumors!
I really believe he would be awesome!
[ Edited by Donnies49ers on Mar 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/revis-49ers-conflicting-reports

"Just one day later, those people paid to know things went public with conflicting reports.

One report, citing "a team source," said the 49ers' interest in Revis is ".001 on a scale of 1-10."

Another report, coming from New York and citing "sources," indicates the 49ers are "interested in trading for Revis sooner rather than later."

The two reports were published within 12 hours of each other."


Has anyone addressed or talked about this second report that is bolded? I just noticed it.


Harnaugh/Baalke did not let anyone know they were interested in Manning until they flew in to see him. I think we go after Revis hard, especially since we have a coach that is willing to take ALL the risks to win the big one (going after Manning / pulling the pluf on an efficient Alex).

Revis is ours !
Funny that reports coming out of New York say we want to trade for Revis and 12 hours later reports from the West Coast say no interest.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
FWIW . . .

Appearing on NFL Live Wednesday, ESPN's Ed Werder predicted that the Jets will not get a first-round pick for Darrelle Revis.

"I think it's unlikely that the Jets can get a No. 1 pick," said Werder. "I think a lot of teams might consider giving up a (second-round pick) or less. The Jets are dealing from a position of obvious weakness. Two reasons: He's coming off ACL surgery in the final year of his contract. (And) his contract demands really have potential suitors worried the most. Teams know that if they wait a year, he'll become a free agent. They could get him for nothing." In addition to the 49ers and Falcons, Werder mentioned the Bucs and Lions as potential Revis suitors.
This. Everyone know NY has to get rid him. That's why Atl, Det and TB have suddenly come into the fray. They're trying to drive the market up. I'd give our 2nd rd pick for him though.