LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 391 users in the forums

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Of course if you're Baalke, you're going to kick the tires on Revis. It would be damn negligent not too. But if they get Revis, it's going to be on terms favorable to the team, and that would be unlikely given Revis' contract history.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Honestly, I'm not that worried about our secondary. During the regular season our secondary held their own BECAUSE of the pass rush. When J Smith went down, thats when the secondary started giving up plays. As good as any secondary may be, their going to be average if they can't get to the quarterback as the case with the Niners secondary in the playoffs. We need some bodies to rotate in and out for some plays during stretches. Gotta give J Smith and Mcdonald a breather during games.

Besides Culliver was the one getting picked on in the Superbowl, while everyone else held their coverages. It was just unfortunate for Culliver but he'll learn from it.

This is exactly true. We need the money and cap space to resign Kaep, Crabtree, Iupati, Davis, (i think we can either keep Davis or Iupati, not both) Aldon Smith, and so on. I would like Revis, but we have our own players to think about
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Whitner was consistently getting picked on all season long, teams flat out went after him without disguising their intentions in the slightest, that is why I think safety is crucial, that the 49ers find someone in the draft who can eventually replace Whitner and allow a hopefully re-signed Goldson to move to strong safety where I feel he ultimatley belongs.
do you think it is smart or realistic to get rid of whitner. sign charles woodson and then draft a nice young safety to take over? i was like many fans. got sucked in cuz whitner hits hard then threw up when i saw him get burned in pass coverage all the damn time. appreciate your feedback
Originally posted by BayArea:
I don't agree saying Revis isn't worth it. s**t he is pretty much the best corner since Deyon Sanders. I hope most of you know what happened after we signed Mr. Sanders to the roster.

Yeah sign Revis and pay the motherf**ker.

The only thing is he's coming off an injury and not really sure how he'll come back. He'll probably be the same player, but you simply don't know and so giving up high drafts picks for him could be a risk. Deion Sanders wasn't coming off any significant injury when we got him in 94.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I don't agree saying Revis isn't worth it. s**t he is pretty much the best corner since Deyon Sanders. I hope most of you know what happened after we signed Mr. Sanders to the roster.

but then you have no money to sign anyone else long term. no i think signing revis and backing up the truck to the vault is counter to the niner strategy over the last two years
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
too high of price for a one year rental that may not even be near 100%. had Revis not been injured, i may have a different opinion.
I doubt the Niners pull the trigger, unless they can get Revis to sign an extension first.
Originally posted by boast:
too high of price for a one year rental that may not even be near 100%. had Revis not been injured, i may have a different opinion.

We haven't heard any wind of what the price of getting him is even going to be have we? His contract for next year is a steal as it stands now too. I really don't think the price is going to be as high as many people think. The Jets know their options are: Suck next year with Revis and then likely lose him or trade him before this draft and try and get something. Since they will suck either way they may think getting something for him is worth a lower price in trade.
Originally posted by cciowa:
do you think it is smart or realistic to get rid of whitner. sign charles woodson and then draft a nice young safety to take over? i was like many fans. got sucked in cuz whitner hits hard then threw up when i saw him get burned in pass coverage all the damn time. appreciate your feedback

As much as fans are prone to an emotional response....."CUT HIM...NAAAAAAOOOOOHHH", I think what you'll see is Whitner hang around as a starter for another season. However I do feel that they'll add a safety through the draft and develop him throughout the season to take over for Whitner next year as his contract will be up at the end of the upcoming season. Now if Goldson leaves, that changes things up and I feel that they'd go out and sign a veteran safety but otherwise, I would only be expecting an addition through the draft. Plus there's always Trent Robinson, not sure how high the staff is on him but he's got to figure into the mix somehow.

The good thing is that this is a great year for safeties in the draft, lots of safety talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds especially.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by boast:

We haven't heard any wind of what the price of getting him is even going to be have we? His contract for next year is a steal as it stands now too. I really don't think the price is going to be as high as many people think. The Jets know their options are: Suck next year with Revis and then likely lose him or trade him before this draft and try and get something. Since they will suck either way they may think getting something for him is worth a lower price in trade.

just going off the claims in the link.

Jets want a 1st round pick for Revis, anything less and they fear getting crucified by their own fanbase.

Jets want a 1st round pick for Revis, anything less and they fear getting crucified by their own fanbase.

I wonder if that 2nd from KC and maybe a 5th will do it.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

The only thing is he's coming off an injury and not really sure how he'll come back. He'll probably be the same player, but you simply don't know and so giving up high drafts picks for him could be a risk. Deion Sanders wasn't coming off any significant injury when we got him in 94.

I agree it's a risk. If he is too far out of the ballpark in terms of price then yeah abandon ship. However if we can get him for only a little bit more than the Jets are willing to fork over then I say go for it. No chance we get anything nearly as good out of the draft. We already know our corners are prone to a good ol' fashioned scorching. I say go for it and pay him what he is worth. How is the best cornerback in the last decade not worth some cap room? Take him and we win a few superbowls in the next 5 years. Don't overpay him but don't miss out because you are cheap either.
I don't think the Jets get a 1st rounder for Revis. Something tells me they'll take a 2nd rounder and use it to draft a DB that they like to pair up with Cromartie. Plus it saves them 6 million by trading Revis to the Niners. Plus there's no conflict within their division.
[ Edited by Ninerfan81 on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
As much as fans are prone to an emotional response....."CUT HIM...NAAAAAAOOOOOHHH", I think what you'll see is Whitner hang around as a starter for another season. However I do feel that they'll add a safety through the draft and develop him throughout the season to take over for Whitner next year as his contract will be up at the end of the upcoming season. Now if Goldson leaves, that changes things up and I feel that they'd go out and sign a veteran safety but otherwise, I would only be expecting an addition through the draft. Plus there's always Trent Robinson, not sure how high the staff is on him but he's got to figure into the mix somehow.

The good thing is that this is a great year for safeties in the draft, lots of safety talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds especially.
thank you. i always depend on good posters like you to help me see beyond what makes me throw up. i would hope that whoever we draft can be good special team players, lord knows we need a shot of something there
Share 49ersWebzone