There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers interested in trading for Revis (link provided)

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If we get Revis this year, totally reminds me of the year we got Deion to get over the hump and win a ship.

it does???

Deion wanted to come to a winner 100% healthy to get that ring
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It's my opinion that you can build your defense in two ways: you can build with a great pass-rush, or you can build an outstanding secondary.

I think we're the type of team who has a great pass-rush, but our lack of depth after Justin Smith went down and our fatigue late in the year stifled that pass-rush. And as an example of a great secondary, the Seahawks are a team with a great secondary.

Personally, I think it's easier/wiser to build around a great pass-rush. Many, but not all, the throws against us in the playoffs were perfect throws by the quarterback. We just didn't have the pass-rush at the moment to disrupt the QB's rhythm and accuracy. I think the secondary was in the right position, save for a few plays, most of the time. It's just that the opposing quarterbacks were able to throw a good ball.

Another reason why I think it's easier to build around a good pass-rush is because I think sometimes if you have a good set of guys, you can rotate in and out and have a great rush, regardless of who's playing. I think the problem with building a strong secondary is that there's few high-level cover cornerbacks in the league. In my mind, there's Darrelle Revis and probably 3 or 4 other guys that you can really comfortably leave on an island.

With that said, I'm on the fence. Obviously, steadily improving our defensive line and secondary through the draft has been effective. We've gone deep into the playoffs two years in a row with a roster that was steadily built through the draft and a few free agent acquisitions here and there. But I can understand if Baalke aggressively goes after Revis.

Darrelle Revis WILL make the other guys around him better. As it stands now, we basically play two safeties back and allow the cornerbacks to play their man underneath. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. With someone like Revis, who CAN cover the opponent's best receiver one on one in certain situations, we can really mix up our coverages and probably even blitz a bit more.

It sounds great... but it's a gamble to trade for him. Who knows what happens in our one year, and if we retain him when his contract is up?

The advantage with building around your DL is that the DL can stop the run and the pass. You build around your secondary and teams gash you with the run. Superbowl winning teams don't always have very good secondaries but they almost always have great, attacking defensive lines. Giants won two Superbowls with mediocre secondary play and an AWESOME DL rotation, so I completely agree with you, I think there's too much of a gamble in regards to Revis and the 49ers should be looking to put their resources and cash into buffing up the DL and improving depth to the maximum.
Originally posted by Beeker:
If we get Revis this year, totally reminds me of the year we got Deion to get over the hump and win a ship.

True. But - who do we substitute in for Merton Hanks' neck?

LOL put the original bird neck on antler spray ASAP!!

Should we break out the Cream and the Clear, too?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But if you don't win...and history says its a hell of a challenge..........then Revis leaves after a year, you're out a draft pick that could have otherwise been a long-term productive player and you're basically stuck holding the bag.

I like the draft approach, build your team at an affordable price, manage the cap wisely, continually add depth...etc. Mega free agent acquisitions seldom turn out to be what people expected. With Revis coming off a major injury, there's no guarantee that he returns to being the same player that he was, it would suck to overpay for Revis to see that he's dropped off quite a bit.

In B4 "Adrian Peterson is better after tearing up his knee...blah..blah....blah."

In after "major injury, blah blah blah, let's pretend we'd trade for him without our enormously qualified doctors examining him, blah blah blah."

See how easy (and obnoxious) that was?

As for the topic at hand, Revis is a once-in-a-generation player at his position and the best cover corner since Deion. That said, I wouldn't want to commit the necessary financial resources and draft picks to acquiring him when we could get adequate, younger, cheaper talent through the draft in a deep year for DBs.
what do we have to give up for revis? a 2nd and 3rd? 3rd and 4th?
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
In after "major injury, blah blah blah, let's pretend we'd trade for him without our enormously qualified doctors examining him, blah blah blah."

See how easy (and obnoxious) that was?

As for the topic at hand, Revis is a once-in-a-generation player at his position and the best cover corner since Deion. That said, I wouldn't want to commit the necessary financial resources and draft picks to acquiring him when we could get adequate, younger, cheaper talent through the draft in a deep year for DBs.

Examine him all you like, by trading for him at this point, you have NO idea how he'll respond when he's back out on the field, or how good he'll actually be, that's a huge risk when you've got a draft loaded with CB talent, guys who are healthier, younger and far more affordable.

True. But - who do we substitute in for Merton Hanks' neck?

LOL put the original bird neck on antler spray ASAP!!

Should we break out the Cream and the Clear, too?

LOL, may need to get him some unicorn dust and what ever Sylvester Stallone is on.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I suppose it makes some sense as a $6 million 1-year thing to try to go all in for the Super Bowl next year. They could draft a cover safety and some defensive linemen and their defense would be pretty awesome. If Revis is on his game and really shutting down half the field as he has in the past, Fangio would have the freedom to get a little more aggressive with his blitzes. And, you'd like to see the Niners get back to the big game as soon as possible before Frank Gore and Justin Smith run out of gas. If Kaepernick were to stay healthy and progress as most of us think he will, the Niners would be the team to beat in the NFL.

But if you don't win...and history says its a hell of a challenge..........then Revis leaves after a year, you're out a draft pick that could have otherwise been a long-term productive player and you're basically stuck holding the bag.

I like the draft approach, build your team at an affordable price, manage the cap wisely, continually add depth...etc. Mega free agent acquisitions seldom turn out to be what people expected. With Revis coming off a major injury, there's no guarantee that he returns to being the same player that he was, it would suck to overpay for Revis to see that he's dropped off quite a bit.

In B4 "Adrian Peterson is better after tearing up his knee...blah..blah....blah."

No, my first choice would be not to pay for any high priced free agent veterans under any circumstances. I want them to use their picks to move around and target the best players available mainly to fix the defense. I want them to continue to build through the draft.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, my first choice would be not to pay for any high priced free agent veterans under any circumstances. I want them to use their picks to move around and target the best players available mainly to fix the defense. I want them to continue to build through the draft.

That's what my hope is too, to utilize those picks to add players that will help this team improve, and trade extra picks to gain picks next season as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM ]
Anyone who doesn't want Revis is a damn fool. If Baalke and Harbaugh want Revis, I'm with them.
And what happens if he shows up and holds out, demanding a long-term contract before he'll play, as he's done pretty much every single year with the Jets??? Then what??? Now you get a guy that's a rental who won't even play for the full season.

If he holds out ahead of being a free agent next summer he'll be an idiot. It's to his interest to play lights out after coming back from an injury to prove he's worth the big bucks.
Originally posted by paulk205:
If he holds out ahead of being a free agent next summer he'll be an idiot. It's to his interest to play lights out after coming back from an injury to prove he's worth the big bucks.

And win a chip in the process.
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
Anyone who doesn't want Revis is a damn fool. If Baalke and Harbaugh want Revis, I'm with them.

There is a huge question mark regarding his injury though. We know from past ACL injuries that it usually takes 2 years to fully recover. Revis is only signed for 1 year so the NIners might not even get the best out of Revis. I would be all for it if he was 100% healthy.
OK, imagine we give up our first and second rounders (our OWN) for him on a one year rental. Is that too dear? Well, we still have the Chiefs' 2nd rounder which is pretty much where our own #1 was. So basically we have traded Alex plus our 2nd rounder for Revis plus a conditional mid rounder from the Chiefs next year.

Now, I'm not saying that would work for the Jets. A first and a second sound great, but not where we're picking. I'm just giving this example to illustrate how so many people here get tied up with the name of the round: our "first" is virtually a second this year. The price for being good (at long last).
Originally posted by paulk205:
OK, imagine we give up our first and second rounders (our OWN) for him on a one year rental. Is that too dear? Well, we still have the Chiefs' 2nd rounder which is pretty much where our own #1 was. So basically we have traded Alex plus our 2nd rounder for Revis plus a conditional mid rounder from the Chiefs next year.

Now, I'm not saying that would work for the Jets. A first and a second sound great, but not where we're picking. I'm just giving this example to illustrate how so many people here get tied up with the name of the round: our "first" is virtually a second this year. The price for being good (at long last).

These next couple months will be nail biters for sure. Thank goodness we finally have gotten back on top of this league!!