Here's all the players who factored into comp picks from last offseason:

Players Lost

Josh Morgan (2 yr $11.5 million)
Adam Snyder (5 yr $17.5 million)
Blake Costanzo (2 yr $2 million)
Madieu Williams (1 yr $890,000)

Players Signed

Mario Manningham (2 yr $7.75 million)

We're expected to get a 4th for Morgan, a 7th for Williams, and a 7th for Costanzo. Manningham signing canceled out Snyder.

Here's our progress in free agency this year:

Players lost (including expected losses):

Delanie Walker (4 yr $17.5 million)
Isaac Sopoaga (3 yr $12 million)
Dashon Goldson (~5 yr $40 million) *estimate
Ricky Jean-Francois (~5 yr $25 million) *estimate

Players signed

Nobody as of now

If we do end up signing Woodson, it would probably cancel out the loss of Walker or Sopoaga. Depending on what else we do, we could be getting 3 comp picks in the 3rd or 4th round range in 2014.

Woodson was released so if we signed him he wouldn't factor in the determination of 2014 comp picks.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Woodson was released so if we signed him he wouldn't factor in the determination of 2014 comp picks.

Dorsey is the only one thus far affecting the equation. He would probably cancel out Soap.
Another reason why Woodson, Nnamdi, and Aberham make sense since they won't count. Hell RJF contract is a lot greater than Dorsey's. Goldson's looks like a 3rd comp next year.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Here's all the players who factored into comp picks from last offseason:

Players Lost

Josh Morgan (2 yr $11.5 million)
Adam Snyder (5 yr $17.5 million)
Blake Costanzo (2 yr $2 million)
Madieu Williams (1 yr $890,000)

Players Signed

Mario Manningham (2 yr $7.75 million)

We're expected to get a 4th for Morgan, a 7th for Williams, and a 7th for Costanzo. Manningham signing canceled out Snyder.

Here's our progress in free agency this year:

Players lost (including expected losses):

Dashon Goldson (~5 yr $40 million) *estimate
Ricky Jean-Francois (~5 yr $25 million) *estimate

Players signed

Nobody as of now

If we do end up signing Woodson, it would probably cancel out the loss of Walker or Sopoaga. Depending on what else we do, we could be getting 3 comp picks in the 3rd or 4th round range in 2014.

If we sign Woodson it doesn't cancel anything out because he was cut. And I'm pretty sure that Manningham wouldn't cancel out Snyder because of playing time and the contract. Manningham would cancel Morgan more then likely.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

So we should sign Woodson and Nmamdi!
I don't want to hijack your thread but what would we get for Anquan Boldin if there were no offests? Would he count for a 1 year 6 million contract or his entir

2013 Players lost:
Dashon Goldson (5 yr $41.25 million)
Ricky Jean-Francois (4 yr $22 million)
Ted Ginn?

Players signed:
Dan Skuta (2yr $ TBD)
Glenn Dorsey (2yr $7 million)
Anquan Boldin was traded for so he doesn't count against us. Anyone traded for or that was previously cut doesn't count. Also, anybody we cut wouldn't count for us. (ex: Brandon Jacobs or David Akers wouldn't count as a loss)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM ]
** as of right now, we are getting a 3rd, 4th, and 5th! Dorsey cancels out a 6th for Sopoaga.

Suka would take away the lowest pick if his contract even qualifies.

...but Ginn and all those guys will sin somewhere too.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Anquan Boldin was traded for so he doesn't count against us. Anyone traded for or that was previously cut doesn't count. Also, anybody we cut wouldn't count for us. (ex: Brandon Jacobs or David Akers wouldn't count as a loss)

I meant what would we get in 2015 if Anquan Boldin left? Do we get credit only for one year or his entire contract.
Originally posted by ironmanbravo:
I meant what would we get in 2015 if Anquan Boldin left? Do we get credit only for one year or his entire contract.

Not sure what you are saying but if Boldin left us after this year it would depend on how big of a deal he signed with his new team, how much he plays, how well he plays and how many FA's we sign to decide what comp pick we would get. I think what you were asking is about the contract.. the comp picks are based on those factors and the contract part is how much his next team pays him not how much we paid him. But let's say Boldin was signed as a fa from baltimore he would count against us as a signing for 1 year 6 million. Not however big of contract Baltimore gave him. Also, as for 2015 I think you are saying what if we extend him for 2 more years and give him another say 12 mil (just throwing a # out) would he count against us as a 3 year 18 mil player or 1 year 6 mil player and the answer is it doesn't matter. Like I said it only matters what his new team paid for him, not what we gave him money wise. That along with the other criteria I mentioned... (how well he plays, how much he plays, and who we sign in FA). Hopefully that makes it clearer.

Originally posted by ironmanbravo:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yes. If he leaves after next season we would get compensatory credit for any qualifying deal
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
My guess is that after signing what I'd assume are 2 more qualifying FA's we'll end up getting a 3rd and a 7th or two. The 7th's being for value losses.
I was reading Maiocco's chat from yesterday and someone asked him about how many comp picks we'd get next year. He said none because we lost Goldson, Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, and Walker but signed Dorsey, Dahl, Dawson and Skuta. This doesn't seem right to me. Can someone explain how they figure this stuff out? I thought it was based on contracts and playing time, and if that's the case I would think we'd get something, at least a 4th for Goldson right?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/matt-maioccos-49ers-chat-transcript-4913
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
I was reading Maiocco's chat from yesterday and someone asked him about how many comp picks we'd get next year. He said none because we lost Goldson, Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, and Walker but signed Dorsey, Dahl, Dawson and Skuta. This doesn't seem right to me. Can someone explain how they figure this stuff out? I thought it was based on contracts and playing time, and if that's the case I would think we'd get something, at least a 4th for Goldson right?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/matt-maioccos-49ers-chat-transcript-4913

Damn, I would be pissed if they cancelled out. I was hoping for at least a fourth, more than likely a 3rd from Goldson.

I think the comp picks are decided at the owners meeting and is based on pay and performance. If that is the case I doubt our signings would cancel out the players that we lost, unless someone has a career year
Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by forty9ers49:

Damn, I would be pissed if they cancelled out. I was hoping for at least a fourth, more than likely a 3rd from Goldson.

I think the comp picks are decided at the owners meeting and is based on pay and performance. If that is the case I doubt our signings would cancel out the players that we lost, unless someone has a career year

I believe Maiocco is correct:

4 FA signed/ 4 FA lost= cancels out.

However, if we lose a better 4 FA, than the 4 we signed, we are awarded a 7th round pick.

But as previously mentioned, We're slated to lose more FA before all is said and done. Ginn,etc.
[ Edited by phiLthyphiL on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone