LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

2014 Compensatory picks??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
I was reading Maiocco's chat from yesterday and someone asked him about how many comp picks we'd get next year. He said none because we lost Goldson, Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, and Walker but signed Dorsey, Dahl, Dawson and Skuta. This doesn't seem right to me. Can someone explain how they figure this stuff out? I thought it was based on contracts and playing time, and if that's the case I would think we'd get something, at least a 4th for Goldson right?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/matt-maioccos-49ers-chat-transcript-4913

Damn, I would be pissed if they cancelled out. I was hoping for at least a fourth, more than likely a 3rd from Goldson.

I think the comp picks are decided at the owners meeting and is based on pay and performance. If that is the case I doubt our signings would cancel out the players that we lost, unless someone has a career year

I believe Maiocco is correct:

4 FA signed/ 4 FA lost= cancels out.

However, if we lose a better 4 FA, than the 4 we signed, we are awarded a 7th round pick.

But as previously mentioned, We're slated to lose more FA before all is said and done. Ginn,etc.

Damn that would be annoying. Especially as Goldson is a much higher calibre FA than any we brought in (no offence to them). Let's hope Ginn can give us a leaving gift of a high compensatory pick (not him directly, but hopefully he cancels out whoever would cancel out Goldson)

However, if we lose a better 4 FA, than the 4 we signed, we are awarded a 7th round pick.

But as previously mentioned, We're slated to lose more FA before all is said and done. Ginn,etc.

We already lost Ginn, to the Panthers, on a 1-year deal. I'm not sure if 1-year deals count in determining compensatory picks, but I think they do if they're not the minimum. I think Ginn signed for 750k, while the vet minimum for a 6th year guy is 715k. So, maybe we'll get lucky and it will count as a compensatory loss for us. Hopefully Larry Grant eliminates that uncertainty and signs a decent 1 or 2 year deal so we can get our 3rd for Goldson.
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
I was reading Maiocco's chat from yesterday and someone asked him about how many comp picks we'd get next year. He said none because we lost Goldson, Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, and Walker but signed Dorsey, Dahl, Dawson and Skuta. This doesn't seem right to me. Can someone explain how they figure this stuff out? I thought it was based on contracts and playing time, and if that's the case I would think we'd get something, at least a 4th for Goldson right?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/matt-maioccos-49ers-chat-transcript-4913

Damn, I would be pissed if they cancelled out. I was hoping for at least a fourth, more than likely a 3rd from Goldson.

I think the comp picks are decided at the owners meeting and is based on pay and performance. If that is the case I doubt our signings would cancel out the players that we lost, unless someone has a career year

Damn that would be annoying. Especially as Goldson is a much higher calibre FA than any we brought in (no offence to them). Let's hope Ginn can give us a leaving gift of a high compensatory pick (not him directly, but hopefully he cancels out whoever would cancel out Goldson)
I am 100% sure a players contract, gained or lost, plays a large part in compensatory formulation as does performance.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors

Two clubs this year (Indianapolis and the New York Giants) will each receive a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents lost by these clubs were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/NFL-awards-compensatory-draft-picks/6c97902a-0bbc-4a5a-8303-af96c37c4279

Fastest info I could find with the wife calling me up for dinner.
Maybe after the draft, Grant will get signed for more than league minimum.
Baalke is too savy to not net a 3rd for Goldson.

Skuta, Dahl and perhaps Dawson might not make the squad imo.
Remember Cartwright?
Originally posted by mtminer:

Remember Cartwright?

Its not as simple as some are making it sound. The 49ers signed free agents for basically peanuts while they lost some high priced free agents. Both salary and performance come under consideration for comp picks so the 49ers should get at least a few next season, although ultimately they could have garnered a 3rd and possibly a couple of 4ths had they not signed anyone besides Dorsey.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Remember Cartwright?

Its not as simple as some are making it sound. The 49ers signed free agents for basically peanuts while they lost some high priced free agents. Both salary and performance come under consideration for comp picks so the 49ers should get at least a few next season, although ultimately they could have garnered a 3rd and possibly a couple of 4ths had they not signed anyone besides Dorsey.

If Grant, Moss, and Gooden (if he is in fact not retiring) sign for more than vet minimum contracts that would be he best case scenario. That's what we have to root for right there.
Akers got vet's minimum from the Lions. As long as he isn't cut, might he count against, say, Dawson?
[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Apr 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Akers got vet's minimum from the Lions. As long as he isn't cut, might he count against, say, Dawson?

No because he was cut by us. Just like us signing Asomugha doesn't count against us in the formula.

Remember Cartwright?
I'm pretty psyched to see Skuta and Dahl on special teams , ..getting back to playing at a high level and above average tackling on special teams is crucial , it helped our team get back on the winning track in 2011 , our special teams will be a strong tackling unit again in 2013
Share 49ersWebzone