LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
I have a feeling its to KC for a 5th round pick in 2014.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Losing A Smith makes the 49ers a worse team. That will be understood the minute after CK goes down with bruised ribs, or whatever. Smith took a lot of heat for things that weren't always his fault. He showed class in being demoted while remaining a positive influence on CK. The Smith bashing is silly and out of place. And we need to get much more than a 3rd rounder for a QB with 104 rating. Smith can help a lot of teams stabilize, including KC.

I will jump through the roof if we get KC's 1st 3rd rounder. We're not getting anything higher than that.
What they give up for matt cassel. I expect a cutler type trade after that mistake.

You called it a "mistake". That is exactly the reason the Chiefs don't want to repeat it by letting go of another 1st round pick.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Dapro:

Alex and a second rounder for Revis.

...this is probably (definitely) NOT what's going to happen, but who are you to try to stop my shine?

yeah that's not going to happen

It won't be for a 1st rounder and it sure as f**k won't be for a future 5th rounder..........these things I know, beyond that, I'm hoping for and predicting a 3rd round pick this year.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I agree. Doesn't reflect on his actual playing ability at all though. Just the bust stigma still attached to Alex.

Unless you want to use this as confirmation that Alex does indeed suck because you know, the majority is always right, right?

Is there a bust stigma to Alex Smith outside of SF? I think that most people view him as a competent decision maker with good not great skills who has 8 years experience and can help their team immediately. In other words, a rarity if you review the actual performance of QB's in the NFL for the past few years, if ever.

Most definitely yes. Even last year the media still refused to give him his dues. How many times did you here the word "game manager" associated with Smith by the National Media. For the majority of NFL fans, all they here about other teams is what they here from the national media (NFL Network, ESPN. MNF commentators etc.)

Now that tune started to change a little bit after the playoff win vs. the Saints and his performance this year, but reputations stick with you and are difficult to shake.

Game manager =/= bust. By playoff time last year, Smith had fully shed the bust label and became a "legitimate starting QB" in everyone's eyes, including his haters (i.e. Jamie Dukes). They weren't crowning him a Top 5 QB but Top 10-15 was basically the opinion of the majority.
Here's one for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ckmon
Misplaced anger. I didn't do anything. I said the Chiefs are the only team I would want Geno to go to.

I would question why you're even here, but then I remember that a Jaguars message board must look like this:
jagsfans.com
Total members: 6
Actual Jaguars fans: 4
Trolls: 2
Members online:2
Member 1: "Hey guys.
"Member 2: "It's just me and you. But hey bro.
"Member 1: "Super stoked about our new logo and stuff.
"Member 1: "It's awesome.
"Member 2: "Yeah dude. It's way cleaner than the old one.
"Member 1: "I'm so pumped about next year. I think I'm buying season tix!
"Member 1: "I can get a great deal right now. Like $8 a seat cuz demand is so low.
"Member 2: "s**t. That's too much for me. I remember 2 years ago when I bought them they were like $4 a seat. Thanks Obama.
"Member 1: "Yeah. Dude, check out my new cat.
"Member 2: "Oh sweet. Catz rul.
"Member 1: "Ya.
"Member 2: "so...
"Member 1: "I'ma go to Chiefsplanet and provide them with some insight. They are really respecting my opinions over there.
"Member 2: "Yeah, me too. See you there.
"Member 1: "Go Jags."

Putting the 'GENO' in 'GENOCIDE'
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

I doubt that but its more likely than many in here who thought the Niners would get a first for Alex. I still think a 4th but hoping for a 3rd.

A swap of 2nd rounders plus a 4th would be awesome!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
CK wears a flack jacket and he is sliding and escaping contact rather well I might add. You can't keep 2 starting caliber playoff game winning QBs on the same roster under the age of 28 often in this league. Smith wants to start and he deserves that chance and we should get something good in return for him. Aside from that, we have a HC that will draft and develop yet another capable QB to fill in for Smith

I think we are all in agreement here. This year was a rare luxury for us. Unless they sign a Matt Cassell themselves, there isn't going to be a lot of cover in case CK goes down. Just like many many other teams in the league. Not criticizing the 9ers, just stating that we lose a lot of depth when AS walks, that won't really be replaced unless we go the sign-a-blase-veteran route.

Also, remember that last season was Roman/Harbaugh's first season running the O. Not everything was AS's fault. He might benefit from a change in perspective, a chance to input the offensive game plan. The biggest downside will be the oline. If it's slipshod, nothing else really matters.
Wow, I thought a lot of Niner fans were downers. Kansas City? Jeez, the thought of getting a starting QB with a QB rating north of 104 and their world is ending. I've got a feeling that if he goes there and plays Reids brand of WCO, a lot of those idiots are going to be eating crow on their Alex Smith predictions.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

I doubt that but its more likely than many in here who thought the Niners would get a first for Alex. I still think a 4th but hoping for a 3rd.

There is no way we go higher than a 3rd pick, have you listened to Harbaugh speak about Smith? C'mon man!?
Originally posted by Cooper22:

5th round pick in 2014? Fk no!! we don't accepted it so hard!
Share 49ersWebzone