There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Any terms of the deal released?

All that's been said so far is that it's a 2-year deal.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I like this move. Jim Tomsula has a new project to work on and can hopefully get him going. In my opinion, Glenn Dorsey fits us better as a 3-4 DE, not a NT. We could use him in a similar role to how used Ricky Jean-Francois. Put him in a DE rotation, then kick him inside to DT in 3rd down passing situations. I forsee the 49ers drafting a DT/NT early to compete with Ian Williams. Maybe a guy like Jesse Williams (Alabama), Sylvester Williams (UNC), or Jonathan Hankins (Ohio St.)?

[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM ]
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/photo-gallery/49ers-Sign-Glenn-Dorsey/309f73e5-6c6a-4741-9a63-ccc60633c464#156a6e2c-b241-42fd-b9e3-20e4cbdc780b
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Coming out of college and being the 5th overall pick in the draft the expectations were pretty high. It's not a reach calling him a bust. However, I'm looking at the signing from the perspective of what we lost, Soap and Ricky, is he on their level? Maybe better, so it's not a bad pickup.

RJF is the better player, but Dorsey is the better athlete. He took on a lot of double teams in KC, no matter where he was playing. There must be a reason for that.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/dorsey-ready-compete-spot-d-line

The 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey to a two-year contract on Wednesday. The deal can be worth as much as $7 million with incentives, the AP reported.
[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM ]
2 years 7 mil if incentives are hit... my guess would be 5-6 if they aren't.

Some good stuff below:

"Just the way they play, their passion for the game and the success they had," Dorsey said. "Everybody can see they have a winning formula."

Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula greeted Dorsey up at the airport Tuesday night.

"He has a lot of energy," Dorsey said. "He's a great guy. He picked me up at airport and he was talking 100 mph. We talked about a lot of stuff. I'm excited to get an opportunity work with him."

Dorsey visited the 49ers training complex in Santa Clara on Wednesday. He met some of his new teammates, including Justin Smith.

"It's a positive atmosphere," Dorsey said. "Everybody is working hard and talking to each other. And you can feel it when you walk into the building. It's like a big family. Everybody is high-fiving each other, talking to each other. It's a different environment than what I'm used to. I'm excited about it and I'm excited to get going."

Dorsey was 6-foot-1, 297 pounds when he came out of college. That is still his listed weight. Although he appears considerably bigger, Dorsey said he is still close to 300 pounds.

While the most likely fit for Dorsey is at nose tackle, where he is expected to replace Sopoaga, the lineman said he is fine with whatever position the 49ers decide to use him.

"I'm OK with anything," he said. "Whatever coach wants me to do. I knew coming in here, I could play anywhere. So wherever they see fit and I'll try my best at that position."
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by thl408:
Cheaper (I would assume) and younger than Soap with some possible upside. What's not to like?

Knee injuries

It was a calf injury that held it out most of last season. Not knees. And prior to last season he'd started 61 of a possible 64 games.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

The 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey to a two-year contract on Wednesday. The deal can be worth as much as $7 million with incentives, the AP reported.

Nice deal
Originally posted by HIMYM:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
So far we got:

1, Dorsey
2. Boldin
3. The #34 pick in the draft
4. A 2-3 round pick next year

We lost:
1. Soap
2. Moss
3. Alex Smith
4. Goldson
5. Walker
6. RJF (probably)

I'd say that is pretty good so far.

The only big loss out of those is Goldson. I love the way out front office operates. Never overpay & stand your ground. It's almost a sure thing that we'll be drafting a safety with 31st or 34th pick. As good as Goldson was, we need a safety with good coverage skills.

I agree. Goldson is the biggest lost. But he isn't as good as a prime Ed Reed or an Earl Thomas. I don't think he was worth what he was paid. He made some highlight hits and some ints, but he was the FS for one of the worst pass defenses the last two years.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

Nice deal

And putting it into perspective. Sopoaga's deal was 3 years, 12 million, 5 million guaranteed. Eagles may have seen him as worth that much and he may be worth that much, but he isn't worth that to us because he won't be on the field most of the time. Last year, he only played in 1/3 of our defensive snaps.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Dorsey was 6-foot-1, 297 pounds when he came out of college. That is still his listed weight. Although he appears considerably bigger, Dorsey said he is still close to 300 pounds.

While the most likely fit for Dorsey is at nose tackle, where he is expected to replace Sopoaga, the lineman said he is fine with whatever position the 49ers decide to use him.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I wonder if he's put on any weight since entering the league. He's been listed at 297 since his rookie season. If he is in the 310-315 range he could be a candidate to start at nose tackle. He does anchor well against the run.

I knew it!!!!!
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Glenn Dorsey's two-year deal with the #49ers is worth as much as $7 million, agent Joel Segal said.
Wondering what we are planning on using him as NT or DE? Cuz that will probably play a big role in what we do in the draft.

This signing and the Bolden signing actually have me pretty stoked for the draft. We have less "needs" now and I definitely see us packaging up some picks for a power move or 2 to get some good talent. What y'all think?
Originally posted by slowriot:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Glenn Dorsey's two-year deal with the #49ers is worth as much as $7 million, agent Joel Segal said.

LOL...meaning its realistically going to be about a $4.5 to $5 million dollar deal. The setup is that Dorsey gets a chance to show that he can be a legit and quality defensive line player in the NFL, thus setting him up for some of that RJF money or more in a couple of seasons.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I wonder if he's put on any weight since entering the league. He's been listed at 297 since his rookie season. If he is in the 310-315 range he could be a candidate to start at nose tackle. He does anchor well against the run.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DorsGl99.htm

I had the same thought...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home