LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by thl408:
Cheaper (I would assume) and younger than Soap with some possible upside. What's not to like?

Knee injuries

It was a calf injury that held it out most of last season. Not knees. And prior to last season he'd started 61 of a possible 64 games.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Any terms of the deal released?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/dorsey-ready-compete-spot-d-line

The 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey to a two-year contract on Wednesday. The deal can be worth as much as $7 million with incentives, the AP reported.

Nice deal
Originally posted by HIMYM:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
So far we got:

1, Dorsey
2. Boldin
3. The #34 pick in the draft
4. A 2-3 round pick next year

We lost:
1. Soap
2. Moss
3. Alex Smith
4. Goldson
5. Walker
6. RJF (probably)

I'd say that is pretty good so far.

The only big loss out of those is Goldson. I love the way out front office operates. Never overpay & stand your ground. It's almost a sure thing that we'll be drafting a safety with 31st or 34th pick. As good as Goldson was, we need a safety with good coverage skills.

I agree. Goldson is the biggest lost. But he isn't as good as a prime Ed Reed or an Earl Thomas. I don't think he was worth what he was paid. He made some highlight hits and some ints, but he was the FS for one of the worst pass defenses the last two years.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Any terms of the deal released?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/dorsey-ready-compete-spot-d-line

The 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey to a two-year contract on Wednesday. The deal can be worth as much as $7 million with incentives, the AP reported.

Nice deal

And putting it into perspective. Sopoaga's deal was 3 years, 12 million, 5 million guaranteed. Eagles may have seen him as worth that much and he may be worth that much, but he isn't worth that to us because he won't be on the field most of the time. Last year, he only played in 1/3 of our defensive snaps.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Dorsey was 6-foot-1, 297 pounds when he came out of college. That is still his listed weight. Although he appears considerably bigger, Dorsey said he is still close to 300 pounds.

While the most likely fit for Dorsey is at nose tackle, where he is expected to replace Sopoaga, the lineman said he is fine with whatever position the 49ers decide to use him.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I wonder if he's put on any weight since entering the league. He's been listed at 297 since his rookie season. If he is in the 310-315 range he could be a candidate to start at nose tackle. He does anchor well against the run.

I knew it!!!!!
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Glenn Dorsey's two-year deal with the #49ers is worth as much as $7 million, agent Joel Segal said.
Wondering what we are planning on using him as NT or DE? Cuz that will probably play a big role in what we do in the draft.

This signing and the Bolden signing actually have me pretty stoked for the draft. We have less "needs" now and I definitely see us packaging up some picks for a power move or 2 to get some good talent. What y'all think?
Originally posted by slowriot:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Glenn Dorsey's two-year deal with the #49ers is worth as much as $7 million, agent Joel Segal said.

LOL...meaning its realistically going to be about a $4.5 to $5 million dollar deal. The setup is that Dorsey gets a chance to show that he can be a legit and quality defensive line player in the NFL, thus setting him up for some of that RJF money or more in a couple of seasons.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I wonder if he's put on any weight since entering the league. He's been listed at 297 since his rookie season. If he is in the 310-315 range he could be a candidate to start at nose tackle. He does anchor well against the run.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DorsGl99.htm

I had the same thought...
Originally posted by KegBert:
Wondering what we are planning on using him as NT or DE? Cuz that will probably play a big role in what we do in the draft.

This signing and the Bolden signing actually have me pretty stoked for the draft. We have less "needs" now and I definitely see us packaging up some picks for a power move or 2 to get some good talent. What y'all think?

The Dorsey signing serves as a replacement for RJF / Soap. They figure he can do both of their jobs adequately. He will probably take Soaps role mostly, simply because Soap saw the field more than RJF did. He will compete with a high draft pick.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM ]

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
So what's the #'s on this contract?

Seriously!!! Of course, we must have pillowcase-over-the-head donkey-punched his agent if it is taking this long for the contract to go public!

Man I hate you all!!!!

Just kidding gotta love the humor around here, we are all in this together.
He is lighter than Sop, but I am willing to bet that is what the FO was going for. They know they need a pass rush. With our inside LBs, our run defense will always be solid. The problem was the pass rush and QBs having all day to step up in the pocket. Dorsey should be able to pressure up the middle better than Sop did. He didn't put up big sack numbers in KC, but next to our other DL, he will have less of the attention. They wont have to worry about leaving him off the field for 60% of the snaps like Sop was.

Should be interesting to see how this defense transforms.
This is a mediocre signing - I'll be shocked if he has a major impact. He didn't produce in KC and they have Tamba Holi and Jackson. He is not a high motor guy, and his burst is limited.

I hope this deal is structured with very little penalty if he "competes in camp" and they let him go.
OH and no knock on Willis or Bowman - but they are "all world" because our DL does a FANTASTIC job of keeping guards from getting out and interfering with their fast flow to the ball. Not just the NT - but RayMac and JSmith tie up guards all day long too.
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Haven't seen a chiefs game in like 2 years. Did KC utilize him as a pass rushing DT in nickel and dime sets?

No, he's a classic run stopping 2 gap defender

Its funny...I've read a tone of stuff that says he's miscast in a 3-4...

...and it makes me flash back to Cincy fans that were critical of Justin Smith because he wasn't capable of playing in a 3-4.

Hrmmm.

Not the same guy...clearly...but Tomsula is a damn good coach.

This is what make me love this signing. Get a player with talent for a cheaper price and have our coaches do what they do best. We are going to lose some players on defense but I would really cry if we lost Tomsula. Am going to far to say he is our Bobb McKittick for the DL.

Yeah, I'm not worried. Love the signing. Just trying to picture how he fits in.

Now add a db in free agency, and I'm stoked with how things have played out so far
Share 49ersWebzone