LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He said nolan era...there was nothing to get loud about

You must be one of the old guys I'm talking about.
Originally posted by eastbayj:

Lol.. Yeah old....I just know when to cheer
Maybe if san francisco could scrub the smell of piss off their streets people would want to stay. Oh and at this point I'd like to mention that they were having problems keeping the escalators to the subway running because of massive buildups of human feces. Come on. Santa Clara is nice.
San Francisco has acted cheap about a stadium for the last 15 years. They didn't even want to pay for upkeep on the Stick that they promised they would. And why wouldn't seat licenses go up in a new stadiums with better seating and amenities. Too many old spoiled brats should be thankful they live somewhere where they can actually go to the stadium and see a game. I've been a Niners fan for over 30 years and have seen them play live once and that was in 1986. If you quit your team because they move to a beautiful new stadium down the road than you weren't much of a fan to begin with and if your Benedict Arnold butt bout stock in the packers good luck! You have an expensive piece of paper that entitles you to do nothing but buy a frame and hang said piece of paper on your wall. Those "stocks" are just as much of a gimmick as the bricks the Niners are hocking but at least with the bricks you have a piece at home and at the stadium.

You sound like a fricking Seahawks fan. The Niners won over 10 games a season for 16 years straight and they didn't need any cheap tricks to do it. Those fools up in Seattle don't realize it, but they're not doing their team any favors. As soon as that team leaves Seattle, it falls off because they're used to that phony trick they get up there. Teams will just learn to deal with it with hand signals and the advantage will be over.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
You sound like a fricking Seahawks fan. The Niners won over 10 games a season for 16 years straight and they didn't need any cheap tricks to do it. Those fools up in Seattle don't realize it, but they're not doing their team any favors. As soon as that team leaves Seattle, it falls off because they're used to that phony trick they get up there. Teams will just learn to deal with it with hand signals and the advantage will be over.

I sound like a freaking Seahawks fan because I think that making a lot of noise for opposing offenses playing in our house is a good thing? Thank you sir for making my original point.
I know I'm not going to make any friends with this opinion, I think the entire making noise to screw up the opposing offense is a joke. I think it's pathetic. It's a tacit admission that the professional team on the field needs the fans help to beat another team. Yes, this is an old-school opinion, but I'll stick to it. I think the incessant screaming and carrying on detracts from the purity of the game and the experience of watching a very complex game out there on the field. And like I said, if you get your team used to that kind of phony trick at home, then they have a tougher time dealing with the lack of it when they're on the road which is half the season. Plus, it sets a team up for a huge letdown if things don't go well. Walsh used to use that dynamic with his teams. He would tell the team that they were not just playing the other team, but the city and the point would be to quiet them down and break their hearts. When the home team is used to hearing all that noise, the lack of it becomes a problem - they become disheartened. I say get up and scream when your team makes a big stop or when your team scores. Then your team gets the feedback it needs to pump it up to do it again as opposed to this constant cacophony noise that is so incessant that players end up hearing nothing at all.
I know I'm not going to make any friends with this opinion, I think the entire making noise to screw up the opposing offense is a joke. I think it's pathetic. It's a tacit admission that the professional team on the field needs the fans help to beat another team. Yes, this is an old-school opinion, but I'll stick to it. I think the incessant screaming and carrying on detracts from the purity of the game and the experience of watching a very complex game out there on the field. And like I said, if you get your team used to that kind of phony trick at home, then they have a tougher time dealing with the lack of it when they're on the road which is half the season. Plus, it sets a team up for a huge letdown if things don't go well. Walsh used to use that dynamic with his teams. He would tell the team that they were not just playing the other team, but the city and the point would be to quiet them down and break their hearts. When the home team is used to hearing all that noise, the lack of it becomes a problem - they become disheartened. I say get up and scream when your team makes a big stop or when your team scores. Then your team gets the feedback it needs to pump it up to do it again as opposed to this constant cacophony noise that is so incessant that players end up hearing nothing at all.

Please stay home and watch.
Please stay home and watch.

Yeah, I get it. I'm old. You're young and veeeerrrrrrrry cool. And, if you want to feel like you have a personal part in the success of the team, you go ahead and feel that way. Good for you!

It's obvious that there's a pretty big gap in old school Niner fans and younger fans like myself's belief in how to participate and cheer at games. My first year watching the Niners was when I was 8 years old during the 94 season. I wasn't around to see Montana, Lott, Craig, Taylor etc. While I respect and admire everything Walsh did to not only create a dynasty but ultimately change the way football is played, time's change. The only "old school" football players that are left are going to be gone within the next few years (Manning, Brady, Brees, etc.)

With that said, football as a whole is changing too, with new generations of football fans like myself becoming the majority of every team's fan base. As stadiums, players, coaches and fans change so does the old culture of football. The Niners are considered an old school football team all because we like to run the ball. You should obviously see that your belief in how a fan base should act is totally outdated. If you fail to realize that, then that's your issue. Like Bob Dylan said "The times they are a changing." Looks like you and the few left that think like you are just going to be left to yourselves.

PS- This younger fan base does have a lot of issues. In no way am I excusing all of the dumb fights and ridiculous violence that's happening around the league especially our own fans. I just think that as time goes by, as this team continues to change and grow, so do the fans.

Originally posted by English:
Could be worse. Tried talking to Raider fans?

You have a point, amigo. I have been a rabid football fan for my entire life, and usually when I get into it w/Raider fans, it ends up that I know more about their team than they do.

But the bandwagonners and self proclaimed "super fans" in our fan base that absolutely suck. They boo players, scream when we're on offense, and think we should win every game by 150 points...and when we don't they say Harbaugh sucks and Baalke is a moron and Jed York is the "lucky sperm."

It enough to make a guy want to go on a rampage with a crowbar and a blowtorch.
@eastbayj: Really, no offense at all. As long as they're not beating other fans up, I always like other Niner fans. To tell you the truth, I've never asked anyone to quiet down at a game. I don't really care if people scream their asses off. That's fine. And, I really am old. I saw my first game as a five-year old in 1957. I used to go down on game day during the sixties and get a 30 or 40-yard line seat at Kezar with a high-school card for something like $5.00. And, I suppose the case can be made that disrupting the other team's calling with noise makes a difference. I'm just not sure it's a good long-term strategy for the reasons I've stated. Honestly, I think a team is more scary to the opposition if it has a better away record than at home - that was the case with many of Walsh's teams. They once went almost two full seasons without ever losing an away game. Other teams just didn't know what to make of that.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
You have a point, amigo. I have been a rabid football fan for my entire life, and usually when I get into it w/Raider fans, it ends up that I know more about their team than they do.

But the bandwagonners and self proclaimed "super fans" in our fan base that absolutely suck. They boo players, scream when we're on offense, and think we should win every game by 150 points...and when we don't they say Harbaugh sucks and Baalke is a moron and Jed York is the "lucky sperm."

It enough to make a guy want to go on a rampage with a crowbar and a blowtorch.
One thing that I will NEVER understand is booing your own player. You want him to do well right? What the hell are you doing?
Originally posted by Ninerguy:
You believe There is a higher population of fans in the South Bay than in the east bay, sf, north bay and sacramento area combined?

And of course people that live in the South Bay are happy, but a majority of fans who don't live there are not, and you have to understand why.

I'm way out in the east bay (tri valley) and I'm totally happy with the move and virtually everyone I know in the EB feel the same. Do you have #'s to back up that "majority" claim?
You believe There is a higher population of fans in the South Bay than in the east bay, sf, north bay and sacramento area combined?

And of course people that live in the South Bay are happy, but a majority of fans who don't live there are not, and you have to understand why.

I'm way out in the east bay (tri valley) and I'm totally happy with the move and virtually everyone I know in the EB feel the same. Do you have #'s to back up that "majority" claim?

There tons of fans who are upset about the move and they are probably coming from fans who attend the games in sf. I don't have numbers to prove it, but you and your group of friends don't speak for the entire rest of the Bay Area.
There tons of fans who are upset about the move and they are probably coming from fans who attend the games in sf. I don't have numbers to prove it, but you and your group of friends don't speak for the entire rest of the Bay Area.

So then we'll say that your argument is just that. Your own. And I'll do the same.
Share 49ersWebzone