LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@eastbayj: Really, no offense at all. As long as they're not beating other fans up, I always like other Niner fans. To tell you the truth, I've never asked anyone to quiet down at a game. I don't really care if people scream their asses off. That's fine. And, I really am old. I saw my first game as a five-year old in 1957. I used to go down on game day during the sixties and get a 30 or 40-yard line seat at Kezar with a high-school card for something like $5.00. And, I suppose the case can be made that disrupting the other team's calling with noise makes a difference. I'm just not sure it's a good long-term strategy for the reasons I've stated. Honestly, I think a team is more scary to the opposition if it has a better away record than at home - that was the case with many of Walsh's teams. They once went almost two full seasons without ever losing an away game. Other teams just didn't know what to make of that.

I'm with you. But when I watch player interviews or am at a game and see our players on the field trying to get the fans pumped up and loud, whether it's before, during or after the play, I get loud and hope everyone else does too.
Originally posted by Ninerguy:
There tons of fans who are upset about the move and they are probably coming from fans who attend the games in sf. I don't have numbers to prove it, but you and your group of friends don't speak for the entire rest of the Bay Area.

I'm a SF native, but we've got to admit that the vast majority of Niner fans don't live in SF. The population of the nine Bay Area counties is 7.15 million. The population of SF is 800K. Marin and Sonoma County fans are going to have a problem, but Solano and Napa county fans really aren't going to have that much longer because they can come down the east side freeways rather than going through the city.
Why are people who are upset with move considered bad fans? They are more likely fans who will find it hard to get to a game because of the move. They are just fans that want to see their team play. Fans who say they are "f*cking idiots" need to calm the f*ck down.
Originally posted by eastbayj:
I'm with you. But when I watch player interviews or am at a game and see our players on the field trying to get the fans pumped up and loud, whether it's before, during or after the play, I get loud and hope everyone else does too.

Well, you make a good point. I do always respond when players try to get the crowd going.
Why are people who are upset with move considered bad fans? They are more likely fans who will find it hard to get to a game because of the move. They are just fans that want to see their team play. Fans who say they are "f*cking idiots" need to calm the f*ck down.

I don't think they're bad fans at all. But, I think SF fans are jumping the gun on how hard it's going to be. I think jumping on a train that stops a short walk from the stadium will be just as easy as the bus. I think the real problem is the money. But, we just have to understand that this is the way of things in the NFL these days. If teams want to be competitive, they have got to have big expensive corporate boxes and they've got to generate revenue. And, we've got to bring in Super Bowls whether we're in them or not. It pumps tens of millions into the local economies.
Not even mad about the move and I'm a SF resident. Like a previous poster said the stadium is barely in the city anyway, it's in south San Francisco. Unless it's a Monday night game I barely attend games. I prefer to stay at home and watch NFL Sunday ticket 10 AM games before our 1PM home games. That's just my preference.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Sucks the team is moving to Santa Clara. No football history in that area and no more crossing the bay or golden gate to go to a game. Big stadiums are cool. But if rather watch games at candlestick than drive an hour and 15 minutes to Santa Clara, no matter how nice the stadium. I will go from attending multiple games per year to maybe 1 a year

Sounds good to me

Does it?

So using your logic, all the south bay fans shouldnt have been attending any games the last 66 years, because theyd have to drive an hour...

Youre basically just throwing a fit over being inconvenienced. The 49ers are the bay areas team, not just San Francisco's. They moved to a different part of the area because the city of SF couldnt find any non toxic land for them over the last 15 years. Clearly it wasnt THAT important to them.

From a common sense perspective, theyre moving to a better location. Way more people drove up from the south bay than came from near SF.

Well yeah since the game is for the fans, then yes I am upset about being inconvienienced. And for the last 66 yrs,People from the South Bay knew the team played in sf and was called the San Francisco 49ers. It's not like the team was in Santa Clara first, then moved away. And do you have any proof to show that "way more" fans that go to the game are from the South Bay or are you just guessing? And if the team is the bay areas team, doesn't it make more sense to have them play in a more centralized part of the bay, like sf?

The south bay is where the fanbase lives. I guarantee more Niner fans live there than any other region in the bay area, and its probably not even close.

There are 2,000,000 people living in the "south bay" region of the bay area.. Only 813,000 living in SF.

Its also a shorter distance even for people living in Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View, and Fremont, which I didnt count in the south bay population.

It may not be great for you, but the team is essentially moving to their home area. Like I said, the players all live there, the HQ is there, they practice there, etc. There will be no more inconvenient trekking an hour up the peninsula for games.

In order to stay in SF, they wouldve had to build an overpriced, underwhelming stadium in a bad part of town, likely on top of a toxic waste dump. The 49ers wanted to make the city work, but SF just couldnt get anything done. Its their own fault. Blame corporate money, but ultimately SF had its chance, and failed. The 49ers will make more profit in the silicon valley, which will greatly benefit the franchise.

The important thing is they are now guaranteed to stay in the bay area for a very, very long time. No more "moving to LA because its impossible to build a stadium up here" rumors.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Sucks the team is moving to Santa Clara. No football history in that area and no more crossing the bay or golden gate to go to a game. Big stadiums are cool. But if rather watch games at candlestick than drive an hour and 15 minutes to Santa Clara, no matter how nice the stadium. I will go from attending multiple games per year to maybe 1 a year

Sounds good to me

Does it?

So using your logic, all the south bay fans shouldnt have been attending any games the last 66 years, because theyd have to drive an hour...

Youre basically just throwing a fit over being inconvenienced. The 49ers are the bay areas team, not just San Francisco's. They moved to a different part of the area because the city of SF couldnt find any non toxic land for them over the last 15 years. Clearly it wasnt THAT important to them.

From a common sense perspective, theyre moving to a better location. Way more people drove up from the south bay than came from near SF.

Well yeah since the game is for the fans, then yes I am upset about being inconvienienced. And for the last 66 yrs,People from the South Bay knew the team played in sf and was called the San Francisco 49ers. It's not like the team was in Santa Clara first, then moved away. And do you have any proof to show that "way more" fans that go to the game are from the South Bay or are you just guessing? And if the team is the bay areas team, doesn't it make more sense to have them play in a more centralized part of the bay, like sf?

The south bay is where the fanbase lives. I guarantee more Niner fans live there than any other region in the bay area, and its probably not even close.

There are 2,000,000 people living in the "south bay" region of the bay area.. Only 813,000 living in SF.

Its also a shorter distance even for people living in Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View, and Fremont, which I didnt count in the south bay population.

It may not be great for you, but the team is essentially moving to their home area. Like I said, the players all live there, the HQ is there, they practice there, etc. There will be no more inconvenient trekking an hour up the peninsula for games.

In order to stay in SF, they wouldve had to build an overpriced, underwhelming stadium in a bad part of town, likely on top of a toxic waste dump. The 49ers wanted to make the city work, but SF just couldnt get anything done. Its their own fault. Blame corporate money, but ultimately SF had its chance, and failed. The 49ers will make more profit in the silicon valley, which will greatly benefit the franchise.

The important thing is they are now guaranteed to stay in the bay area for a very, very long time. No more "moving to LA because its impossible to build a stadium up here" rumors.

The first part of this post is a complete guess so I'm not even going to address it. Just because you live there and know a bunch of niner fans doesn't mean that there entire fan base is there.

And why should I care if the players have to drive an hour to get to the game?? The game is for the fans to see. We're the ones paying $75 a ticket.

I'm happy they got a new stadium, just not happy with the location. A lot of fans feel the same way I do. Don't take it personal, South Bay residents.
There are about 2 million people in Santa Clara County compared to 800K in SF. So, chances are there are more Niner fans in the south bay.
You would see this from every fanbase out there not exclusive to the 49ers. Those kind of people don't make up the majority so I think it's very unfair to generalize the entire fanbase. Also I can kind of see where they are coming from. I too will probably see less home games as a result of the move. Not because I am pissed about the move but it will make it more inconvenient to go to games. Not saying I don't like the move because I love it and I love the new stadium.

I actually think that even if you live in or close to SF, it might be an easier time getting to the new stadium. There is all sorts of mass transit set to arrive very close to the new facility.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There are about 2 million people in Santa Clara County compared to 800K in SF. So, chances are there are more Niner fans in the south bay.

Your comparing an entire county to one city. So you're saying, other than the South Bay, sf is the only city with niner fans?
Originally posted by BayArea:
You would see this from every fanbase out there not exclusive to the 49ers. Those kind of people don't make up the majority so I think it's very unfair to generalize the entire fanbase. Also I can kind of see where they are coming from. I too will probably see less home games as a result of the move. Not because I am pissed about the move but it will make it more inconvenient to go to games. Not saying I don't like the move because I love it and I love the new stadium.

I feel the same way. I'm not pissed they are moving to a better stadium. Just pissed because like yourself, I will be going to less home games as a result. Isn't that a rational reason to be upset with the move? I don't see why you guys try to generalize people as bad fans when clearly they're just upset they won't be able to go to games like they used to. After all, the team wouldn't have much success without those fans.
Yes.

You know how the Raiders fans used to be the ones all over the news for shootings and stabbings?
Your comparing an entire county to one city. So you're saying, other than the South Bay, sf is the only city with niner fans?

San Francisco is a city AND county. Santa Clara County has a land mass 300 times the size of San Francisco. You're.

Shoulda been a quote+
[ Edited by mkmasn on Feb 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone