There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Entering the Offseason 2013: Thoughts on the season and the coming year...

Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
All true...

....my point tho is that it very often doesn't work out the way people expect. The Eagles were supposed to be the Dream team last year. Not so much.

I can't point to any one thing that will be the undoing of Kaep. I think he's fantastic...I'm just sayin' it very often doesn't work out the way we hope. I can't tell you how much I want to be wrong on this one.


I know we haven't seen Kaep through an entire off-season, full season as the unquestioned starter so the jury's still out just a little. The good thing with Jim Harbaugh teams is no one player is really ever the "unquestioned" starter at each position (even if it's obvious who the #1's are). The difference between teams like the Niners and Eagles is both have very talented rosters, but one is clueless on what real teamwork is. Freddie P. Soft was a huge presence in Philly's lockerroom. Unfortunately he also snuk around the Niners a little too much during Superbowl week.

Actually I think one of the big problems with the Eagles is that they are built from the outside in instead of the inside out....IE the 49ers strongest units are their O-Line and the defensive front 7.

The Eagles spent all of their money on the skill positions and secondary but still had issues on their lines.

You can't win that way.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]
Marvin, if I had one worry about kap it would be his penchant for running. After the GB game, or really after the SEA game, that changed, and it seemed he got the message, don't run if you can pass, if you run, don't go headfirst to the ground, etc. If Kap were going to become the team's leading rusher, heck yeah, I would be very concerned . I think the coaches finally got thru to him about self preservation. Also RG 3 going from wunderkind to ACL and meniscus tear seemed to crystalize kap's and coach's thinking on becoming a running Qb. After those 2 games noted above, I think kap did a good job of keeping running to a minimum, and pocket passing to a maximum. The read option became more a template off which frank could run, not kap...tho the threat was always there. Like you, Marvin, no way do i see kap doing a second yr slide. I just see him getting better and better. I hope he keeps running to a minimum, used when needed , but already we see, JH has gotten him to NOT make the run option, first choice.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, if I had one worry about kap it would be his penchant for running. After the GB game, or really after the SEA game, that changed, and it seemed he got the message, don't run if you can pass, if you run, don't go headfirst to the ground, etc. If Kap were going to become the team's leading rusher, heck yeah, I would be very concerned . I think the coaches finally got thru to him about self preservation. Also RG 3 going from wunderkind to ACL and meniscus tear seemed to crystalize kap's and coach's thinking on becoming a running Qb. After those 2 games noted above, I think kap did a good job of keeping running to a minimum, and pocket passing to a maximum. The read option became more a template off which frank could run, not kap...tho the threat was always there. Like you, Marvin, no way do i see kap doing a second yr slide. I just see him getting better and better. I hope he keeps running to a minimum, used when needed , but already we see, JH has gotten him to NOT make the run option, first choice.

The thing I see from him that makes me feel better about his running is that he doesn't try to be the hero...IE...he runs out of bounds and he slides. That's what got RGIII hurt.
My thoughts? We are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. Just because Kaep appears to be the real deal and on his way to possibly being THE top QB in the league doesn't mean anything. Look at Marino and Elway. Those dudes went to SB's early and kept losing or never got back until much, much later. Of course, Elway never really had that great tactician head coach and I think Marino's coaches were so mesmerized by his ability to throw that they got the "Marino complex." It even happened to Jimmy Johnson when he coached him. Johnson just couldn't find the right RB and was quickly to get away from the run because he had Marino.


I guess I'm just worried that we don't make it back for a few years. Well, not really worried...just that it would be nice to win one with Gore and Vernon and with these other guys in their prime. The worst is winning one when your best players are a year past their prime and making an extremely high salary as it is too difficult to retain the role players because they will want a SB winner type of salary also.
I don't think there's much chance of Kaepernick suffering the Marino syndrome with no attempt at a running game with Harbaugh running the show.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't think there's much chance of Kaepernick suffering the Marino syndrome with no attempt at a running game with Harbaugh running the show.

now we just need to work harder on the pass protection this coming training camp
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,254
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't think there's much chance of Kaepernick suffering the Marino syndrome with no attempt at a running game with Harbaugh running the show.

we need to upgrade the defense and get a reliable kicker. it does not matter how glittery of an offense we have if the defense continues to play like they did during the super bowl
We need to do something about Seattle...... I know for a fact we wont struggle against them with Kaepernick behind center. Our defense is what im worried about
[ Edited by defenderDX on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We need to do something about Seattle...... I know for a fact we wont struggle against them with Kaepernick behind center. Our defense is what im worried about

I've posted this before and I will again because I'm pretty certain this is what's going to happen. In the 70's, one of the few teams that were able to effectively stop Fran Tarkenton were the Steelers. They did it by making their outside guys work to contain him in the pocket and having big, tall inside guys bull-rush the pocket effectively crushing it. Then, they would have inside linebackers delay for a moment and then shoot inside gaps. Tarkenton, like Russell, was short and when confined to the pocket, couldn't see over his linemen and had to look through lanes. Nobody saw Russell Wilson coming this year. Everyone expected Flynn. There is a reason why 5'10" guys have a hard time in the NFL at QB these days - linemen are huge - they're all big and tall like the Steelers were back in the day. This year, everyone will attempt to take advantage of Russell's height. I predict that when the Niners play the Seahawks, we will almost never see that inside stunt with Aldon or Brooks. I think they will always go outside. And, I think the Niners will use the draft to get bigger, taller and deeper on the D line.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,254
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I've posted this before and I will again because I'm pretty certain this is what's going to happen. In the 70's, one of the few teams that were able to effectively stop Fran Tarkenton were the Steelers. They did it by making their outside guys work to contain him in the pocket and having big, tall inside guys bull-rush the pocket effectively crushing it. Then, they would have inside linebackers delay for a moment and then shoot inside gaps. Tarkenton, like Russell, was short and when confined to the pocket, couldn't see over his linemen and had to look through lanes. Nobody saw Russell Wilson coming this year. Everyone expected Flynn. There is a reason why 5'10" guys have a hard time in the NFL at QB these days - linemen are huge - they're all big and tall like the Steelers were back in the day. This year, everyone will attempt to take advantage of Russell's height. I predict that when the Niners play the Seahawks, we will almost never see that inside stunt with Aldon or Brooks. I think they will always go outside. And, I think the Niners will use the draft to get bigger, taller and deeper on the D line.
plus chuck foreman was a no show in big games like the super bowl
Good drop. i'm looking to see AJ Jenkins take a step forward next year. We been hard on dude for all the right reasons. Now we need him to shut us up and step his game up.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I've posted this before and I will again because I'm pretty certain this is what's going to happen. In the 70's, one of the few teams that were able to effectively stop Fran Tarkenton were the Steelers. They did it by making their outside guys work to contain him in the pocket and having big, tall inside guys bull-rush the pocket effectively crushing it. Then, they would have inside linebackers delay for a moment and then shoot inside gaps. Tarkenton, like Russell, was short and when confined to the pocket, couldn't see over his linemen and had to look through lanes. Nobody saw Russell Wilson coming this year. Everyone expected Flynn. There is a reason why 5'10" guys have a hard time in the NFL at QB these days - linemen are huge - they're all big and tall like the Steelers were back in the day. This year, everyone will attempt to take advantage of Russell's height. I predict that when the Niners play the Seahawks, we will almost never see that inside stunt with Aldon or Brooks. I think they will always go outside. And, I think the Niners will use the draft to get bigger, taller and deeper on the D line.
plus chuck foreman was a no show in big games like the super bowl

Each time the Steelers beat the Vikings, they stopped the run and effectively stopped Tarkenton from getting outside the pocket. That general approach is going to be even more effective against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks today because linemen are even taller and bigger than they were back then. The question was what to do about the Seahawks. On defense, you make Russell Wilson play from the pocket - no more 16 second scrambles for little Russell. On offense, you spread them out. I have no doubt that Harbaugh and Roman will have some wide open spread formations for the Seahawks next year because Kaepernick will have time to prepare and those two big corners can only guard two receivers. Richard Sherman can only guard one guy. What they need to do with the Seahawks is have three wide receivers, a slot receiver and a TE. They need two of those five receivers to be potential quick throws to avoid the rush which will come quick. If the rush doesn't come quick, Kaepernick can sit there and wait for whomever comes open. If it comes quick, fling it to one of the two outlets quickly. The point is, the defenses that have given them trouble have been the big, physical ones that could deal with their size. For those defenses, they should change up now and then with a quick strike, multiple receiver offense. Sounds easy, doesn't it. I'm sure it won't be as easy as it sounds, but it's really the only wrinkle they haven't explored and I expect we'll see some of it next season.
JoeC, sure we got problems in the back end. Guys like the ravens WRs really hurt us. Good coverage didn't matter, those guys just elevated. A perfect pass is impossible to defend. Unfortunately, Joe we got torched on the 1st TD w/ two 9er DBs pointing at each other(never a good sign). I quit counting how many 3rd downs flacco completed, but it was a ton. So, agreed, we got back end problems. I am assuming STs fix themselves. I know JH won't see that again.

But Joe, jeez, man. 4 best LB group in league, two all pros, and another should be. Justin, soap, Big mac, and their replacements, gave us the best front 7 in the league. Between carlos, Brown, culliver and whitner we got at least 2-3 starters. We need a WR type DB , a guy 6'4" who can run, cover, and be the stopper on those passes flacco threw. Hey, there isn't a guy like that available, and probably won't be. But we also can use the existing starting 11, if fangio would have blitzed out of the dang 3-4 like it supposed to be used, not just rely on a 4 man rush. Last 4 plays of game ravens blitzed all LBs every play. (there may have been one that didn't). But had fangio used the 3-4 to our advantage, flacco never would have had time to throw those completions, because nobody throws good off his back. So cheer up Joe, we go with same D and have fangio blitz...a lot...and we win....with no newcomers. Frankly we need two guys who can cover like a wet blanet on a hot fire. But guys we had woulda worked Joe, if fangio had blitzed even a third of the time. There is no way, barring injury to Kap that we don't get back there....and I mean multiple times. Oh, yeah, whether it is kyle or someone else, we need another 2-3 WRs. We seem to go through them at an alarming rate.

But please,Joe, no more "if we don't get back there", because my friend, we will.
Hi Marvin,
great post as always.

I have an opionion about Goldson that I'd like to share with you.

Imo opinion Goldson is a tactical misunderstanding becuase he is s stong safety who plays FS position. The real problem is Whitner and his inability to cover anyone.

I think that the best solution would be the following one: give Goldson strong safety money and draft a true free satety (Rambo for example).
Whitner will be free agent at he end of 2013. Let him walk and shift Goldson to SS position with Rambo at FS position.



What do you think?


Originally posted by Joecool:
My thoughts? We are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. Just because Kaep appears to be the real deal and on his way to possibly being THE top QB in the league doesn't mean anything. Look at Marino and Elway. Those dudes went to SB's early and kept losing or never got back until much, much later. Of course, Elway never really had that great tactician head coach and I think Marino's coaches were so mesmerized by his ability to throw that they got the "Marino complex." It even happened to Jimmy Johnson when he coached him. Johnson just couldn't find the right RB and was quickly to get away from the run because he had Marino.


I guess I'm just worried that we don't make it back for a few years. Well, not really worried...just that it would be nice to win one with Gore and Vernon and with these other guys in their prime. The worst is winning one when your best players are a year past their prime and making an extremely high salary as it is too difficult to retain the role players because they will want a SB winner type of salary also.
Right now, we are not like the 1984 Dolphins or the Broncos of the 1980s. All year long, we have been praised for being one of the most complete teams in the NFL. The Dolphins or Broncos were never great teams. There are no guarantees in the NFL, but there is no reason to worry about this team not making it back again. Unless we completely fall off of the wagon defensively, we will be right in the thick of things next season. No team, including New England as of late had the potential of being a top 5 offense AND defense. That will be a very hard combination to beat.