There are 159 users in the forums

Entering the Offseason 2013: Thoughts on the season and the coming year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Agree with nearly everything here! Great post. One note: I think it would be in Lattimore's best interest health-wise if he sat out at least part of next year to get completely healthy (considering he's had 2 acl tears in 2 years) and what better place to do that than in SF???

That was kinda my point.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great post Marv! I'm already psyched for next season. Only one complaint tho....next time make your post longer.

Originally posted by Beeker:
See - THIS is why I pay attention to NC and Marvin. Smart dudes. The only thing I could add to any of this is a slight modification to one post of NC's -

9) Coordinators return: Let's not forget that Harbaugh, Roman and even Vic are young...new...green to this league and/or Superbowl and even our own personnel. They made mistakes. And a lot of them. And they need to get better. Can they? We shall see...but their work is cut out for them as well and that is a good thing as is continuity!

Fangio has a TON of NFL experience - remember the Dome Patrol? I remember how happy I was when we picked up Ricky Jackson - not that he did a whole lot of good, but man, those guys were the then bada$$ boys - wait, I think we may have a comparable group of LB's now ....

Thanks brother, I should have put "respectively." He's still green to our own personnel (even Superbowl pressure/game planning).

And Ricky Jackson was awesome...he knocked Emmitt Smith out on a stunt-blitz in the hole!
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM ]
14 draft picks:

What do they do with all that? I love how active Baalke is during draft day, and I have no doubt he will be trading some of those for a higher value pick next year, but damn, we could be major players in the draft. I feel sorry for people who have that seemingly unending urge to do mock drafts lol.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thanks brother, I should have put "respectively." He's still green to our own personnel (even Superbowl pressure/game planning).

And Ricky Jackson was awesome...he knocked Emmitt Smith out on a stunt-blitz in the hole!

True, our guys, AS A UNIT, still have a long way to go to be put in the class of the Dome Patrol - but I can see it happenin!!
Great post as always Marvin 49!!
Damn son...you can write! Always a good read.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
That is all true and I hope all of that comes to pass......but it very often doesn't work out that way. Cam Newton wasn't any better in year 2. Dalton was a bit better but not astronomically (QB rating went from 80 to 87). History is littered with players who everyone THOUGHT would come in after that "full offseason" and be Superman. Colin has defied expectations at every turn, so my hope is that this will be another example of that...but don't be surprised next year if he struggles more than we think he will. It doesn't mean he's not as good as we think.

Cam Newton actually was better in year 2. Not by much mind you but was slightly better, thanks to getting on fire the 2nd half of the year. His QB rating was up almost 2 points from his rookie year and over his last 8 games he had 13 TDs and 4 INTs with a 95 QB rating and won 5 of last 6 games. Dalton isn't really a comparable QB. As most have figured out he seems to be Alex Smith 2.0 (Needs a lot to go right to succeed). Which isn't bad but doesn't seem to have the upside of a Kaep or Newton. Expecting Dalton to become another Aaron Rodgers is not realistic. He is a "he is who he is" QB who benefits greatly by having A.J. Green to throw to. You also have to factor in the fact that Kaep is getting the best QB coaching in the league right now. If we had a defensive coach like Ron Rivera, who seems to leave the offense completely to the offensive coaches, I would be a lot more worried about a sophomore slump.
Thoughtful analysis Marv. I do understand the concern about Kaep possibly not measuring up to his play from last season or even being better ala certain other QBs, but guys like Newton & Dalton were rookie starters who did amazingly well in year 1 and sorta plateaued their 2nd year. Colin became starter in his 2nd year so I gauge that as more experienced when he took over than a rookie QB starting from day one. If he's only slightly better in 2013 it should suffice to guide the Niners deep in the playoffs once again. Kaep will only get better as I see it. He's got a Jordanesque inner drive, minus the ego.
A nice replacement to Akers could be Phil Dawson, a UFR from Cleveland. He's been quite reliable and has a few good years left with experience kicking in shifty winds.
The Niners have a great thing going. I want the team to use the draft rather than free agency this off season. The Niners have so many picks that if they draft well they should be able to fill the needs they have. All of them.

I'm not a huge fan of Roman. But I'm glad he's returning for Kaep. We dont need a carousel of coordinators like Alex had.
Originally posted by Jcool:
That is all true and I hope all of that comes to pass......but it very often doesn't work out that way. Cam Newton wasn't any better in year 2. Dalton was a bit better but not astronomically (QB rating went from 80 to 87). History is littered with players who everyone THOUGHT would come in after that "full offseason" and be Superman. Colin has defied expectations at every turn, so my hope is that this will be another example of that...but don't be surprised next year if he struggles more than we think he will. It doesn't mean he's not as good as we think.

Cam Newton actually was better in year 2. Not by much mind you but was slightly better, thanks to getting on fire the 2nd half of the year. His QB rating was up almost 2 points from his rookie year and over his last 8 games he had 13 TDs and 4 INTs with a 95 QB rating and won 5 of last 6 games. Dalton isn't really a comparable QB. As most have figured out he seems to be Alex Smith 2.0 (Needs a lot to go right to succeed). Which isn't bad but doesn't seem to have the upside of a Kaep or Newton. Expecting Dalton to become another Aaron Rodgers is not realistic. He is a "he is who he is" QB who benefits greatly by having A.J. Green to throw to. You also have to factor in the fact that Kaep is getting the best QB coaching in the league right now. If we had a defensive coach like Ron Rivera, who seems to leave the offense completely to the offensive coaches, I would be a lot more worried about a sophomore slump.

All true...

....my point tho is that it very often doesn't work out the way people expect. The Eagles were supposed to be the Dream team last year. Not so much.

I can't point to any one thing that will be the undoing of Kaep. I think he's fantastic...I'm just sayin' it very often doesn't work out the way we hope. I can't tell you how much I want to be wrong on this one.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Damn son...you can write! Always a good read.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
All true...

....my point tho is that it very often doesn't work out the way people expect. The Eagles were supposed to be the Dream team last year. Not so much.

I can't point to any one thing that will be the undoing of Kaep. I think he's fantastic...I'm just sayin' it very often doesn't work out the way we hope. I can't tell you how much I want to be wrong on this one.

I know we haven't seen Kaep through an entire off-season, full season as the unquestioned starter so the jury's still out just a little. The good thing with Jim Harbaugh teams is no one player is really ever the "unquestioned" starter at each position (even if it's obvious who the #1's are). The difference between teams like the Niners and Eagles is both have very talented rosters, but one is clueless on what real teamwork is. Freddie P. Soft was a huge presence in Philly's lockerroom. Unfortunately he also snuk around the Niners a little too much during Superbowl week.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
All true...

I know we haven't seen Kaep through an entire off-season, full season as the unquestioned starter so the jury's still out just a little. The good thing with Jim Harbaugh teams is no one player is really ever the "unquestioned" starter at each position (even if it's obvious who the #1's are). The difference between teams like the Niners and Eagles is both have very talented rosters, but one is clueless on what real teamwork is. Freddie P. Soft was a huge presence in Philly's lockerroom. Unfortunately he also snuk around the Niners a little too much during Superbowl week.

Actually I think one of the big problems with the Eagles is that they are built from the outside in instead of the inside out....IE the 49ers strongest units are their O-Line and the defensive front 7.

The Eagles spent all of their money on the skill positions and secondary but still had issues on their lines.

You can't win that way.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone