LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

Entering the Offseason 2013: Thoughts on the season and the coming year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Remember the last time a Stanford Coach took over for a Coach Nolan?
Dynasty mode on....
Winners welcome at a reduced salary...
Trade up in draft for a play maker like we did for Rice...maybe Cordarelle Patterson, Keenan Allen, or Tavon Austin
First team in NFL history to be Superbowl champs 48, 49, 50 back to back to back that's right I said it

Yea but Mike Singletary became HC after Mike Nolan
Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Hi Marvin,
great post as always.

I have an opionion about Goldson that I'd like to share with you.

Imo opinion Goldson is a tactical misunderstanding becuase he is s stong safety who plays FS position. The real problem is Whitner and his inability to cover anyone.

I think that the best solution would be the following one: give Goldson strong safety money and draft a true free satety (Rambo for example).
Whitner will be free agent at he end of 2013. Let him walk and shift Goldson to SS position with Rambo at FS position.

What do you think?

Strong and free safety are basically interchangeable in our defense and virtually every modern NFL defense.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Strong and free safety are basically interchangeable in our defense and virtually every modern NFL defense.

What you say is correct but you missed the point. The weak ring in our sedondary is Whitner not Goldson. Goldson together with a pure free satety would form a fantastic combo while whitner together with a pure free saferty would always be the weak ring.

What you say is correct but you missed the point. The weak ring in our sedondary is Whitner not Goldson. Goldson together with a pure free satety would form a fantastic combo while whitner together with a pure free saferty would always be the weak ring.

I'd actually rather they resolved this issue now by possibly releasing or trading Whitner, signing Goldson, drafting a young safety, and then taking a stab at an Ed Reed or Charles Woodson to play FS for a year or 2 till the young safety is ready.

Bottom line, SOMETHING needs the change. A number of peeps have said that this issue was the pass rush and that exposed the Secondary. That's true, but to me it's just because a very good pass rush was covering up deficiencies in the secondary. Once Justin and Aldon were hurt and teams started double and triple teaming Aldon, the Niners weren't getting very much rush. The Niners aren't going to replace any of those 4 LBs and they aren't going to replace Justin or Ray McDonald.....so they need to be able to hold up at least a bit better in the secondary.

I'd love to see them let Rogers go and go after Revis, but that's a bit of a pipedream. Bottom line, they need better coverage out of their secondary...just enough to make the QB hold the ball for another second to let the rush get there. Its clear teams have learned where to attack and his number is 31.
Agree regarding Delanie Walker. I want him back.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sorry in advance...this is much longer than I'd initially intended. LOL!!

1) Colin Kaepernick: What a season. It was quite a ride for #7. I personally have always liked the kid, but I have to admit that I thought he was WAY, WAY too raw to be a factor this year. I had actually started to think that Alex might be the long term answer at QB. I remember watching him in the preseason run what I was calling a "college offense" and actually was pretty annoyed because I wanted him learning the real offense, not just a package (Wow...am I a genius or what?). Early in the year when he would come in for a play or 2 are kinda started to think it was a mistake...it threw off the offenses rhythm.

There were a few times tho when he was coming in that I saw him throw a deep pass on target that made me think the kid had a future...but I still thought he was way too raw.

Then came the injury to Alex. I thought that Rams game is a game we would have won with Alex behind center. Going into the Bears game my expectation was a poor outing and lots of turnovers. The Bears D had been a turnover machine all year leading up to that game.

Instead, Kaepernick completely flipped my perception. I kinda didn't want to believe what I saw simply because I'd been fooled before (Troy Smith). I think I must have watched that game 10 or 15 times to see if I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. Big Arm. Accuracy DOWN THE FIELD. There were a number of passes that night that were incredible but 2 in particular stand out.

The first was the deep pass to Kyle Williams. That has to be one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen. PERFECT placement over the shoulder on a player running away from him. I just remember my eyes bugging out of my head. After a moment of stunned silence from me and after watching him convert that pass into a TD to Vernon, I just remember thinking, "wow...Alex may not get his job back". I kinda laughed it off though because I never really thought that Harbaugh would pull Alex.

The second was the TD to Crabtree. Came off the first receiver, stepped away from the rush, found Crab and delivered a strike. Like it was nothing.

Over the next 9 games he did nothing but cement my opinion that he isn't just the 49ers QB of both now and the future, he is now on the precipice of super stardom. He literally has everything you could possibly ask for in a QB. Big Arm. Speed. Size. Intelligence. Character. Nerve. He has it all. I remember when he came out I had an issue with his delivery, but it appears he's done some serious work on that because I don't even see it anymore. How the hell did this guy get picked AFTER Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, and Andy Dalton? NFL teams aren't looking for Andrew Luck anymore. They are looking for Colin Kaepernick.

I have to give a very healthy dose of the credit though to Jim Harbaugh. Not only does the guy have the guts to make a very difficult call, but he'll stick with it and he doesn't care what other people think. Additionally, I think he can turn almost anyone into a good QB. He has never failed. Josh Johnson. Andrew Luck. Alex Smith. Colin Kaepernick. He's the QB whisperer.

Now...having said all that...I offer a warning. I know what we are all thinking here. Wow...now Kaep gets a full offseason as a starter. He'll get time with his recievers and maybe get 1 or 2 shiny new weapons to play with. The experience he just got on the biggest stage can do nothing but help him next year. That is all true adn I hope all of that comes to pass...

...but it very often doesn't work out that way. Cam Newton wasn't any better in year 2. Dalton was a bit better but not astronomically (QB rating went from 80 to 87). History is littered with players who everyone THOUGHT would come in after that "full offseason" and be Superman. Colin has defied expectations at every turn, so my hope is that this will be another example of that...but don't be surprised next year if he struggles more than we think he will. It doesn't mean he's not as good as we think.

Man...I can't wait for the ride tho.

2) Alex Smith: As I have said before, I really like Alex. That dude has to have some of the thickest skin I've ever seen. He's been thrown under the bus so many times he's got tire tracks on his back. This is important tho....Jim Harbaugh didn't throw him under the bus. People will argue that, but its true. Harbaugh did what was right for the team. That is what a good coach does even when it's hard. Even when it might be unpolular...you're job as coach is to do what in the best interest of the team...not one guy who you may like personally or feel loyalty toward. To do otherwise is disloyal to every other member of the team.

Alex is a good QB. I've defended him on this site since the day he was drafted. The best thing that could ever happen to him was the hiring of Jim Harbaugh. To anyone who still has an issue with his benching should remember that Alex didn't have a future as a starting QB in the NFL before Harbaugh was hired. Most 49er fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. All this talk of the way Alex was treated needs to stop and take another look...Harbaugh gifted Alex with a continued career in the NFL. Without Harbaugh, Alex would either be toiling as a second string QB somewhere or possibly not even on an NFL roster. Now he will get a shot as a starter on another team. I have said for a long time that I think the change in Alex actually started against Philly in 2010..the "We Want Carr" game. His attitude changed that night...but I still don't think he even gets a chance if Harbaugh doesn't come in and actually PURSUE the then FA Alex Smith.

Alex has always been a better player than he was perceived to be. He needs to get comfortable with a system before he can thrive and the rotating OCs never gave him that chance to get comfortable. We all know the story. He has always been a cautious QB...sometimes to a fault. He has also always been willing to work his a$$ off to become a better player which is why his QB rating has improved every season in the league.

As for how he gets to that new team....I just dunno. I'd like to believe he's worth a high round draft pick, but with his contract situation and the perceived "game manager" label on him, I just don't know. There is also the fact that many teams may attribute his success to Jim Harbaugh...which may be fair. Any way you look at it though, I think he's strapped on that gold helmet for the last time. It does make me a litte sad.

3) Frank Gore: Man...of all the players that I wanted to get that ring, Frank Gore was at the top of the list. He has been the heart and soul of this team for years...and his clock is ticking. I keep expecting his game to fall off and for him to show that his age and injuries are finally getting to him...and then he just has another great season. I just don't know how long that can last. Obviously I want to see the 49ers win it every year...but I really, really want to see them get one while Frank is still on the roster. That may only be 1 or 2 more years...but then again he always seems to be better than I thought he'd be.

We do need to start thinking about the future though. I really like Hunter and James, but I think they may need to pick another guy...maybe a guy who wouldn't play this year anyway and could be had for a late round pick....like say...Marcus Lattimore? Just a thought.

4) Big Name Aquisition: This is another one where I'm having trouble figuring out what might happen. All of my instincts tell me that the 49ers wouldn't be a big player for say a Revis or a Harvin. They value their picks too much and they aren't a "break the bank" big spending team in FA. Then again, I said the exact same thing last year about Manning. The 49ers also have 14 picks and might have more if they can trade Alex. They don't have 14 open spots on their roster.

I've been on some Jets forums and they are banking on a team like the 49ers who are just "one player away" being willing to make a move on a player like Revis. I just don't know if I buy it. I understand they thought process...you are so close to a title so why not take a shot at a great player who could push you over the top? My problem with that is that Baalke just doesn't seem to operate that way. They are all about picking up the bargains at the end of Free Agency...not about spending huge on one of the big name players.

I guess I can sum it up by saying I'd be surprised if they made a move on a guy like Revis or Harvin (or Jennings or Wallace for that matter), but I wouldn't be stunned.

5) 49ers Free Agents: Shocker....I'm torn here too. I've made no secred of the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Dashon Goldson. He was having a very good season though....through 13 games. Then the Pass D fell apart. Some of that is the Smith brothers getting hurt, but I honestly think that the Smiths were just masking a problem in the secondary that was already there. I can't remember the last time i saw Dashon make a great play in pass defense. Whitner is probably a bigger problem in pass coverage than Goldson, but Whitner is already under contract and isn't looking for huge $$$ in Free Agency. The issue here isn't that I don't like Goldson or that I think HE is our problem. My problem with him is that he's going to cost alot of money for a guy who wasn't a part of the solution to that problem when it really counted. SOMETHING needs to happen in the secondary...I just dunno if you start with big $$$ for a guy who hasn't been great in coverage.

As much as he has dropped the ball and frustrated me, I am not ready to say goodbye to Delanie Walker. He has his fingerprints on so many different aspects of the game that I think most of us undervalue his contribution. I really got a sense of that watching the Super Bowl again. One Franks TD run Delanie got out there and made a CRUSHING block on Ed Reed. What was most impressive about it was that I dunno how many TEs would have had the speed or the athleticism to even get out there to be in position to make the block. Then he had an absoloutely crushing tackle on a kickoff return later in the game. His hands big me...no doubt....but he's getting open. Alot. I dunno if we really want to replace him with a more traditional lumbering giant of a TE when he offers so much. I hope they are able to bring him back.

I think Randy is done in SF...and maybe for good. He was a good player to have out there for the young guys, but he just doesn't have it anymore. With Williams and Manningham coming off injuries and Jenkins not contributing, I'd expect a few more players coming in at this position in the offseason. BTW, Teddy Ginn is a goner. Useless as a WR and wasn't any good on returns.

6) 2012 Rookies: I was happy to see that AJ Jenkins got the point and that he's already at work getting ready for next season. The kid has speed and great hands which are exactly what the team needs. I'm not counting on him, but my hope is that he comes in next year and surprises us. LMJ howed late in the season why he was taken in the second round. He'll be a contributor next year. I think Joe Looney will be much more of a factor next year and will probably cost Leanoard Davis his job. Looney was hurt when he was selected so this full offseason adn camp will work wonders. The 49ers will also benefit from getting Darius Fleming back to provide depth at OLB and we will probably see alot more of Trenton Robinson on ST.

There were alot of complaints about the lack of production from this class but I think we'll be seeing a number of them contribute next year.

7) Akers: I like the guy, but it's time to move on. I don't know whats out there in Free Agency, but my guess is that one of those 14 draft picks will be a kicker. A big reason for that is the salary. There is no way they can pay Akers 3 Mil when they can get a rookie kicker for near league minimum. Do you risk a guy who isn't ready for primetime? Of course...but there were a number of games this year that we tied/lost on the guy we are paying 3 mil.

8) The return of injured players: None of these guys can really be counted on, but I love that they are all coming back. Hunter, Williams, and Manningham. Outside of Justin and Aldon (tho he didn't miss a game, he was hurt), Kedall Hunter ws the most impactful injury of the season. James came in and played well, but it took several weeks to get him going and he wasn't as effective as Hunter had been. Getting him back is huge. I dunno tho how much of an effect the Achilles will have on his game.

Williams was playing really well and is just the sort of quick, fast player that can excel with Kaep at QB. I just home he's able to keep that quickness after the ACL. Manningham seemed to be a big part of things early on....and I like him...but he isn't the burner I thought he'd be.

9) Coordinators return: One big bonus of playing as long as the Niners did was that all of the plum jobs were taken. Roman and Fangio will return. I know a number of you don't like Roman but I think he's the best coordinator we've had in a long, long time. I'm glad we'll get at least one more stab at this thing with the coaching staff intact.

10) Reality: The reality is just now really setting in. The Niners recod is 0-0. They have to climb that hill all over again. It doesn't matter how close they were to the prize, nothing is owed to them for being this good this year. Kaepernick won't sneak up on anyone. The Pistol will be expected. The Packers, Falcons, Seahawks, and several other teams will probably be better and have a score to settle.

So....here we go again....
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
Sorry in advance...this is much longer than I'd initially intended. LOL!!

1) Colin Kaepernick: What a season. It was quite a ride for #7. I personally have always liked the kid, but I have to admit that I thought he was WAY, WAY too raw to be a factor this year. I had actually started to think that Alex might be the long term answer at QB. I remember watching him in the preseason run what I was calling a "college offense" and actually was pretty annoyed because I wanted him learning the real offense, not just a package (Wow...am I a genius or what?). Early in the year when he would come in for a play or 2 are kinda started to think it was a mistake...it threw off the offenses rhythm.

There were a few times tho when he was coming in that I saw him throw a deep pass on target that made me think the kid had a future...but I still thought he was way too raw.

Then came the injury to Alex. I thought that Rams game is a game we would have won with Alex behind center. Going into the Bears game my expectation was a poor outing and lots of turnovers. The Bears D had been a turnover machine all year leading up to that game.

Instead, Kaepernick completely flipped my perception. I kinda didn't want to believe what I saw simply because I'd been fooled before (Troy Smith). I think I must have watched that game 10 or 15 times to see if I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. Big Arm. Accuracy DOWN THE FIELD. There were a number of passes that night that were incredible but 2 in particular stand out.

The first was the deep pass to Kyle Williams. That has to be one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen. PERFECT placement over the shoulder on a player running away from him. I just remember my eyes bugging out of my head. After a moment of stunned silence from me and after watching him convert that pass into a TD to Vernon, I just remember thinking, "wow...Alex may not get his job back". I kinda laughed it off though because I never really thought that Harbaugh would pull Alex.

The second was the TD to Crabtree. Came off the first receiver, stepped away from the rush, found Crab and delivered a strike. Like it was nothing.

Over the next 9 games he did nothing but cement my opinion that he isn't just the 49ers QB of both now and the future, he is now on the precipice of super stardom. He literally has everything you could possibly ask for in a QB. Big Arm. Speed. Size. Intelligence. Character. Nerve. He has it all. I remember when he came out I had an issue with his delivery, but it appears he's done some serious work on that because I don't even see it anymore. How the hell did this guy get picked AFTER Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, and Andy Dalton? NFL teams aren't looking for Andrew Luck anymore. They are looking for Colin Kaepernick.

I have to give a very healthy dose of the credit though to Jim Harbaugh. Not only does the guy have the guts to make a very difficult call, but he'll stick with it and he doesn't care what other people think. Additionally, I think he can turn almost anyone into a good QB. He has never failed. Josh Johnson. Andrew Luck. Alex Smith. Colin Kaepernick. He's the QB whisperer.

Now...having said all that...I offer a warning. I know what we are all thinking here. Wow...now Kaep gets a full offseason as a starter. He'll get time with his recievers and maybe get 1 or 2 shiny new weapons to play with. The experience he just got on the biggest stage can do nothing but help him next year. That is all true adn I hope all of that comes to pass...

...but it very often doesn't work out that way. Cam Newton wasn't any better in year 2. Dalton was a bit better but not astronomically (QB rating went from 80 to 87). History is littered with players who everyone THOUGHT would come in after that "full offseason" and be Superman. Colin has defied expectations at every turn, so my hope is that this will be another example of that...but don't be surprised next year if he struggles more than we think he will. It doesn't mean he's not as good as we think.

Man...I can't wait for the ride tho.

2) Alex Smith: As I have said before, I really like Alex. That dude has to have some of the thickest skin I've ever seen. He's been thrown under the bus so many times he's got tire tracks on his back. This is important tho....Jim Harbaugh didn't throw him under the bus. People will argue that, but its true. Harbaugh did what was right for the team. That is what a good coach does even when it's hard. Even when it might be unpolular...you're job as coach is to do what in the best interest of the team...not one guy who you may like personally or feel loyalty toward. To do otherwise is disloyal to every other member of the team.

Alex is a good QB. I've defended him on this site since the day he was drafted. The best thing that could ever happen to him was the hiring of Jim Harbaugh. To anyone who still has an issue with his benching should remember that Alex didn't have a future as a starting QB in the NFL before Harbaugh was hired. Most 49er fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. All this talk of the way Alex was treated needs to stop and take another look...Harbaugh gifted Alex with a continued career in the NFL. Without Harbaugh, Alex would either be toiling as a second string QB somewhere or possibly not even on an NFL roster. Now he will get a shot as a starter on another team. I have said for a long time that I think the change in Alex actually started against Philly in 2010..the "We Want Carr" game. His attitude changed that night...but I still don't think he even gets a chance if Harbaugh doesn't come in and actually PURSUE the then FA Alex Smith.

Alex has always been a better player than he was perceived to be. He needs to get comfortable with a system before he can thrive and the rotating OCs never gave him that chance to get comfortable. We all know the story. He has always been a cautious QB...sometimes to a fault. He has also always been willing to work his a$$ off to become a better player which is why his QB rating has improved every season in the league.

As for how he gets to that new team....I just dunno. I'd like to believe he's worth a high round draft pick, but with his contract situation and the perceived "game manager" label on him, I just don't know. There is also the fact that many teams may attribute his success to Jim Harbaugh...which may be fair. Any way you look at it though, I think he's strapped on that gold helmet for the last time. It does make me a litte sad.

3) Frank Gore: Man...of all the players that I wanted to get that ring, Frank Gore was at the top of the list. He has been the heart and soul of this team for years...and his clock is ticking. I keep expecting his game to fall off and for him to show that his age and injuries are finally getting to him...and then he just has another great season. I just don't know how long that can last. Obviously I want to see the 49ers win it every year...but I really, really want to see them get one while Frank is still on the roster. That may only be 1 or 2 more years...but then again he always seems to be better than I thought he'd be.

We do need to start thinking about the future though. I really like Hunter and James, but I think they may need to pick another guy...maybe a guy who wouldn't play this year anyway and could be had for a late round pick....like say...Marcus Lattimore? Just a thought.

4) Big Name Aquisition: This is another one where I'm having trouble figuring out what might happen. All of my instincts tell me that the 49ers wouldn't be a big player for say a Revis or a Harvin. They value their picks too much and they aren't a "break the bank" big spending team in FA. Then again, I said the exact same thing last year about Manning. The 49ers also have 14 picks and might have more if they can trade Alex. They don't have 14 open spots on their roster.

I've been on some Jets forums and they are banking on a team like the 49ers who are just "one player away" being willing to make a move on a player like Revis. I just don't know if I buy it. I understand they thought process...you are so close to a title so why not take a shot at a great player who could push you over the top? My problem with that is that Baalke just doesn't seem to operate that way. They are all about picking up the bargains at the end of Free Agency...not about spending huge on one of the big name players.

I guess I can sum it up by saying I'd be surprised if they made a move on a guy like Revis or Harvin (or Jennings or Wallace for that matter), but I wouldn't be stunned.

5) 49ers Free Agents: Shocker....I'm torn here too. I've made no secred of the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Dashon Goldson. He was having a very good season though....through 13 games. Then the Pass D fell apart. Some of that is the Smith brothers getting hurt, but I honestly think that the Smiths were just masking a problem in the secondary that was already there. I can't remember the last time i saw Dashon make a great play in pass defense. Whitner is probably a bigger problem in pass coverage than Goldson, but Whitner is already under contract and isn't looking for huge $$$ in Free Agency. The issue here isn't that I don't like Goldson or that I think HE is our problem. My problem with him is that he's going to cost alot of money for a guy who wasn't a part of the solution to that problem when it really counted. SOMETHING needs to happen in the secondary...I just dunno if you start with big $$$ for a guy who hasn't been great in coverage.

As much as he has dropped the ball and frustrated me, I am not ready to say goodbye to Delanie Walker. He has his fingerprints on so many different aspects of the game that I think most of us undervalue his contribution. I really got a sense of that watching the Super Bowl again. One Franks TD run Delanie got out there and made a CRUSHING block on Ed Reed. What was most impressive about it was that I dunno how many TEs would have had the speed or the athleticism to even get out there to be in position to make the block. Then he had an absoloutely crushing tackle on a kickoff return later in the game. His hands big me...no doubt....but he's getting open. Alot. I dunno if we really want to replace him with a more traditional lumbering giant of a TE when he offers so much. I hope they are able to bring him back.

I think Randy is done in SF...and maybe for good. He was a good player to have out there for the young guys, but he just doesn't have it anymore. With Williams and Manningham coming off injuries and Jenkins not contributing, I'd expect a few more players coming in at this position in the offseason. BTW, Teddy Ginn is a goner. Useless as a WR and wasn't any good on returns.

6) 2012 Rookies: I was happy to see that AJ Jenkins got the point and that he's already at work getting ready for next season. The kid has speed and great hands which are exactly what the team needs. I'm not counting on him, but my hope is that he comes in next year and surprises us. LMJ howed late in the season why he was taken in the second round. He'll be a contributor next year. I think Joe Looney will be much more of a factor next year and will probably cost Leanoard Davis his job. Looney was hurt when he was selected so this full offseason adn camp will work wonders. The 49ers will also benefit from getting Darius Fleming back to provide depth at OLB and we will probably see alot more of Trenton Robinson on ST.

There were alot of complaints about the lack of production from this class but I think we'll be seeing a number of them contribute next year.

7) Akers: I like the guy, but it's time to move on. I don't know whats out there in Free Agency, but my guess is that one of those 14 draft picks will be a kicker. A big reason for that is the salary. There is no way they can pay Akers 3 Mil when they can get a rookie kicker for near league minimum. Do you risk a guy who isn't ready for primetime? Of course...but there were a number of games this year that we tied/lost on the guy we are paying 3 mil.

8) The return of injured players: None of these guys can really be counted on, but I love that they are all coming back. Hunter, Williams, and Manningham. Outside of Justin and Aldon (tho he didn't miss a game, he was hurt), Kedall Hunter ws the most impactful injury of the season. James came in and played well, but it took several weeks to get him going and he wasn't as effective as Hunter had been. Getting him back is huge. I dunno tho how much of an effect the Achilles will have on his game.

Williams was playing really well and is just the sort of quick, fast player that can excel with Kaep at QB. I just home he's able to keep that quickness after the ACL. Manningham seemed to be a big part of things early on....and I like him...but he isn't the burner I thought he'd be.

9) Coordinators return: One big bonus of playing as long as the Niners did was that all of the plum jobs were taken. Roman and Fangio will return. I know a number of you don't like Roman but I think he's the best coordinator we've had in a long, long time. I'm glad we'll get at least one more stab at this thing with the coaching staff intact.

10) Reality: The reality is just now really setting in. The Niners recod is 0-0. They have to climb that hill all over again. It doesn't matter how close they were to the prize, nothing is owed to them for being this good this year. Kaepernick won't sneak up on anyone. The Pistol will be expected. The Packers, Falcons, Seahawks, and several other teams will probably be better and have a score to settle.

So....here we go again....

The Packers, Falcons, Seahawks, and several other teams will probably be better and have a score to settle.

f**k these b***hes. Our defense will be better next year, and Roman will evolve the offense even more. If anything we're going to have a score to settle with the Hawks and Falcons (17-0 1st half and Jones running wild on us).
I also think Alex is a good QB. With that said, I think we should trade Alex and our 2nd rd pick to the Cardinals for Patrick Peterson. This will upgrade our secondary and special teams unit. Peterson is a young cover corner and explosive return man plus, he has the size and speed to lock down #1 WR's. With our current draft pick situation, we would still have the pieces necessary to maneuver to get the players we want. This trade would satisfy both teams needs. The Cards would finally have an answer to their QB situation and receive an additional high draft pick and the 49ers get a young stud that upgrades multiple positions. I would think we would then look to upgrade our DL depth and potentially sign a replacement for Sopoaga. (unless, we can manage a team friendly contract with him).
Marvin, I love reading your posts. So well thought out and on the money.

Still think the pass rush is more important than the secondary, but that's just philosophy.

Excellent read!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agree regarding Delanie Walker. I want him back.

I thought that too. Definitely wanted him at the beginning of the season. I don't think we'd be losing much by letting him go and throwing Celek in, though. Especially with the emergence of Crabtree. Not having to rely so much on that #2 TE is going to be great for this offense. Still need a legit deep threat, though. Moss commanded so much respect... I don't know how much of it was warranted.

Originally posted by sf1974:
I also think Alex is a good QB. With that said, I think we should trade Alex and our 2nd rd pick to the Cardinals for Patrick Peterson. This will upgrade our secondary and special teams unit. Peterson is a young cover corner and explosive return man plus, he has the size and speed to lock down #1 WR's. With our current draft pick situation, we would still have the pieces necessary to maneuver to get the players we want. This trade would satisfy both teams needs. The Cards would finally have an answer to their QB situation and receive an additional high draft pick and the 49ers get a young stud that upgrades multiple positions. I would think we would then look to upgrade our DL depth and potentially sign a replacement for Sopoaga. (unless, we can manage a team friendly contract with him).

Lol not going to happen. As much as the Niners dont want Smith being a Cardinal, Arizona wants no part of trading Peterson to their biggest division rival.

I'd actually rather they resolved this issue now by possibly releasing or trading Whitner, signing Goldson, drafting a young safety, and then taking a stab at an Ed Reed or Charles Woodson to play FS for a year or 2 till the young safety is ready.

Bottom line, SOMETHING needs the change. A number of peeps have said that this issue was the pass rush and that exposed the Secondary. That's true, but to me it's just because a very good pass rush was covering up deficiencies in the secondary. Once Justin and Aldon were hurt and teams started double and triple teaming Aldon, the Niners weren't getting very much rush. The Niners aren't going to replace any of those 4 LBs and they aren't going to replace Justin or Ray McDonald.....so they need to be able to hold up at least a bit better in the secondary.

I'd love to see them let Rogers go and go after Revis, but that's a bit of a pipedream. Bottom line, they need better coverage out of their secondary...just enough to make the QB hold the ball for another second to let the rush get there. Its clear teams have learned where to attack and his number is 31.

It became glaringly obvious come playoff time that teams had figured out how to deal with the 49ers defense, so yeah I agree with you. One caveat, the defensive staff did show the ability to adjust at half time and plug the leaking dam. The problem is the Super Bowl was the dam was just too broken after that kick return.

Thoughts I had:

- What would the chances of Culliver moving back to Safety to share the middle with Goldson be? Whitner is a great run stopper, but really, I'd rather my defensive front stopped the RB prior to Whitner even being there in the first place.

- Should anything be done about Rogers? I know many are hard on the guy, but it's not like he's playing poorly. Rather he's just playing below his contract payout.

- Would like to have Delanie Walker back, but his situation might truly be a case of a good player just having to move on because of circumstance. Vernon Davis is the man here, Walker is good enough to be the man virtually anywhere else, so I feel like Delanie is going to want (and deserve) to be paid as a #1 guy. If he does go elsewhere, I'll totally understand.

- What to do at WR? Is Kyle Williams really the long-term answer in the slot? How will Manningham fit in? The problem we have is that the 49ers have a #1 and two #3's in the lineup. I'd like to draft a burner, but in reality we are going to need someone who matches up better physically at the line of scrimmage to be able to deal with the kind of jams the Seahawks will be playing (win the division first).

- The 49ers need to find an answer for why missing Justin Smith made such a devastating impact on our defense. I am not knowledgeable enough to really know the answer. You'd think with the #1 LB's in football someone could pick up the slack....but......................
Originally posted by sf1974:

Ok, I've seen this post in more than one thread. You will not get Peterson out of Arizona. He's their second most popular player - guess who their number 1 is?? I don't see Alex going to AZ in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I've said it before and I"ll say it again - the Cardinulls have a lot more problems than just O-line and QB. I know - I live in Phoenix and hear/see 95% Cardinulls day in and day out.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
It became glaringly obvious come playoff time that teams had figured out how to deal with the 49ers defense, so yeah I agree with you. One caveat, the defensive staff did show the ability to adjust at half time and plug the leaking dam. The problem is the Super Bowl was the dam was just too broken after that kick return.

Thoughts I had:

- What would the chances of Culliver moving back to Safety to share the middle with Goldson be? Whitner is a great run stopper, but really, I'd rather my defensive front stopped the RB prior to Whitner even being there in the first place.

- Should anything be done about Rogers? I know many are hard on the guy, but it's not like he's playing poorly. Rather he's just playing below his contract payout.

- Would like to have Delanie Walker back, but his situation might truly be a case of a good player just having to move on because of circumstance. Vernon Davis is the man here, Walker is good enough to be the man virtually anywhere else, so I feel like Delanie is going to want (and deserve) to be paid as a #1 guy. If he does go elsewhere, I'll totally understand.

- What to do at WR? Is Kyle Williams really the long-term answer in the slot? How will Manningham fit in? The problem we have is that the 49ers have a #1 and two #3's in the lineup. I'd like to draft a burner, but in reality we are going to need someone who matches up better physically at the line of scrimmage to be able to deal with the kind of jams the Seahawks will be playing (win the division first).

- The 49ers need to find an answer for why missing Justin Smith made such a devastating impact on our defense. I am not knowledgeable enough to really know the answer. You'd think with the #1 LB's in football someone could pick up the slack....but......................

I think in the case of Carlos Rogers he will play at least another season in San Francisco and then he will be re-evaluated. The 49ers have nothing to gain by releasing him (more of a cap hit than cap relief). I also think he would look a lot better with a stronger pass rush. I don't foresee any kind of contract restructuring because of his age, so more than likely if he regresses in 2013, then he will be released if it actually helps out our situation cap wise. If he plays well, he'll be retained.

I personally like Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham. And having two number 3's isn't bad considering Kyle Williams most likely will be the 4th receiver. Mario Manningham seemed to do good things everytime he touched the ball and seems to be a gamer. However, if AJ Jenkins pans out (and I actually think he will), Manningham will probably be gone after next season if he isn't willing to accept the number 3 role and number 3 money longterm. AJ Jenkins best attributes are his game speed and his hands, which will allow him to take advantage of Kaep's strong arm. We only need to draft a larger redzone target.

I honestly believe Aldon Smith was more hurt than he let on. There is no way you go from having a season for the ages as a pass rusher to totally disappearing. We simply have to get more depth on the defensive line and get the best 3-4 DE and NT that we can with our first four picks. The guys I like at defensive end unfortunately will probably all be taken.

I think Culliver still can play corner. He just needs a little more discipline (bites often on certain moves) and needs to track the ball in the air better. He either is burned or is step for step with a receiver, but the pass is still completed because he is not trying to make a play on the ball.

I think Delanie Walker stays with us. The team recognizes his value and he should get a fair deal. The only way he bolts is if a team overpays (over 3 million per year).

Hopefully we can resign Dashon Goldson longterm, but if we don't, I'd take Jarius Byrd or even Charles Woodson on a 1 -2 year deal in order to buy us some time to develop a FS.
I'm hoping we don't turn into the modern day Buffalo Bills. But we got 2 strikes so far. If we get 3 or 4 we are them.
Share 49ersWebzone